Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

IRS not accepting EV Tax Credit forms until March

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The American Taxpayer Relief Act passed on Jan 1, which has left the IRS with pretty much no time to get new forms prepared/systems updated. So they've pushed out the less-likely-to-be-used forms to the end of the queue, meaning less taxpayers will be impacted.

We're talking about the GOVERNMENT.

They could have also planned in advance.

They waste enough money as it is.

How is doing work that may need to be undone saving money? How is waiting until you know what you need to do and doing it once wasting money? It seems like the prudent thing to do. All it does is delay people getting their tax rebates, which also SAVES (the government) money.

Come on I agree it sucks there is a delay, but it isn't costing the government more money.

Plenty of articles out on the net about this. Systems being reprogrammed. I'm sure it IS the same form, I'm also sure they need to do some work in order to recognize it with the changed system.

It's one of very few forms that are delayed. MANY forms that are MUCH more complicated and WERE in jeopardy of changing are perfectly available to be filed now. This one is simple and was not in jeopardy of being changed.

Not having had a decent refund at the federal level in approximately forever (and rarely filing taxes before mid-April), I'm not going to vent about delays in being able to claim a tax credit.

If one bases their budget for the 1st quarter upon a refund from the IRS, they need a better accountant.

However, if they attempt to renege upon the promised tax credit, I'll be a bit peeved. I think I heard that happened in FL for (solar?) credits in the past?

talked to our CPA today about this. We are holding off filing for a week to see if there is some kind of shift in this, as we purchased a Leaf in 2012, actually we traded up from a 2011. we are considering filing without the EV credit, getting our regular refund and then filing an amended return with the expectation that it may take months to get the EV tax credit. last year it took us 6 months and a congressional iquiry from our representative to get our return out of the wonderful IRS limbo land, where they can take as long as they like to get around to simply giving you your refund without explanation or any particular action. it's one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had. They gave no reason for the delay in the end, no heads up, just one day the funds were automatically deposited into our account. Meanwhile we were gearing up for a full blown audit...

If you want to read about the various fiasco's Leaf owners went through last year, check out the following thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8678&hilit=denied+ev+tax+credit

talked to our CPA today about this. We are holding off filing for a week to see if there is some kind of shift in this, as we purchased a Leaf in 2012, actually we traded up from a 2011. we are considering filing without the EV credit, getting our regular refund and then filing an amended return with the expectation that it may take months to get the EV tax credit. last year it took us 6 months and a congressional iquiry from our representative to get our return out of the wonderful IRS limbo land, where they can take as long as they like to get around to simply giving you your refund without explanation or any particular action. it's one of the most frustrating experiences I've ever had. They gave no reason for the delay in the end, no heads up, just one day the funds were automatically deposited into our account. Meanwhile we were gearing up for a full blown audit...

If you want to read about the various fiasco's Leaf owners went through last year, check out the following thread:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8678&hilit=denied+ev+tax+credit

Holy crap. I just read that whole thread. If they are delaying acceptance in order to avoid this from happening this year, I'm all for it. But somehow I doubt it.

Wait, so the reason why TurboTax is reporting an error on my return
"Qual. Plug-in Elec. Drive Motor Vech Wks (Vehicle 1 : Tesla Model S): Line 3b should not be checked, model year should be 2010."
is not because TurboTax sucks, but because the IRS sucks?

So any place I go to, I'd need to file by mail?

Wait, so the reason why TurboTax is reporting an error on my return
"Qual. Plug-in Elec. Drive Motor Vech Wks (Vehicle 1 : Tesla Model S): Line 3b should not be checked, model year should be 2010."
is not because TurboTax sucks, but because the IRS sucks?

So any place I go to, I'd need to file by mail?

I got that too. I think it is because Turbo Tax sucks. It might be because the IRS form isn't updated, but they had one for 2011 so I would think a 2011 model year would be fine. You can still submit your taxes via Turbo Tax even with that error though.

I got that too. I think it is because Turbo Tax sucks. It might be because the IRS form isn't updated, but they had one for 2011 so I would think a 2011 model year would be fine. You can still submit your taxes via Turbo Tax even with that error though.

How?
It's telling me that I need to file by mail because of the error.

Your federal return has some areas we'll need to address before you can successfully e-file. In many cases you'll just need to enter missing information.

If you're not able to fix these issues, you will return to this screen and you can select File by Mail.

Let's handle them one at a time.

How?
It's telling me that I need to file by mail because of the error.

Your federal return has some areas we'll need to address before you can successfully e-file. In many cases you'll just need to enter missing information.

If you're not able to fix these issues, you will return to this screen and you can select File by Mail.

Let's handle them one at a time.

Check Turbo Tax for updates when you first open the application. The updated version recognizes the correct year of the car that is entered and removes the error.