Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Show Poster: Draft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I'm working on a poster that can be printed and displayed on an easel at car shows. Here's my first draft. Any feedback is appreciated.

(Note: Keep in mind this will be printed on a 4 ft. high poster, so keep scale in mind):

modelSPoster.jpg

Edit: From the future of this thread ;), I've added a direct link to the latest version of the poster here:

http://www.filedropper.com/modelsposterfinal

Last edited:
Really good!

To the Lowest drag line I would add the word "ever".

Answer the charge time question. (drop transmission or add to Fuel line)

Consider dropping the white car window thru red. the center profile has none.

Really good!

Thanks Eric...I know you're somehow involved in the graphic arts (motion graphics? Computer animation?) so thanks for the feedback. (Seriously...your screen name totally gives it away, hehe)

That's really very good, Todd. Where is the part where it says 'Privately owned vehicle: ask first before you touch!' ?

Something came across the wire recently about a new sedan with an even lower drag coefficient..can't remember who makes it, though.

That's really very good, Todd. Where is the part where it says 'Privately owned vehicle: ask first before you touch!' ?

That'll be taken care of with separate signs, ropes, chains, and booby traps!

Something came across the wire recently about a new sedan with an even lower drag coefficient..can't remember who makes it, though.

Mercedes CLA....but it won't enter production until September, I believe.

- - - Updated - - -

may want to change the year to 2013 :wink: (unless your car is from 2012, then it's your call)

It's a 2012...but maybe 1.0 makes more sense? Throw everyone for a loop?!?

BTW, didn't the EV1 count as a production car? It had a lower Cd.

I talked with a Tesla aerodynamicist who said the the Model S would beat the EV1 in today's wind tunnels.

- - - Updated - - -

...Something came across the wire recently about a new sedan with an even lower drag coefficient..can't remember who makes it, though.

I believe it was Mercedes and is not in production.

BTW, didn't the EV1 count as a production car? It had a lower Cd.
Reportedly 0.195, yes.

- - - Updated - - -

I talked with a Tesla aerodynamicist who said the the Model S would beat the EV1 in today's wind tunnels.
So the tech of the tunnels has changed? Is this like EPA 2-cycle vs. 5-cycle? If so, it sounds like Wikipedia (and others) are due an update to reflect the different scales.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe it was Mercedes and is not in production.
Yes. Some of you might remember that the Model S was originally touted as 0.22 so it will be interesting to see if Mercedes's numbers make it to production vehicles.

I love the layout. It's great at drawing you in from a distance, and there's lots of good information to ponder once you're hooked. I do feel that it's a little too wordy and would tighten the text up wherever you can, but there's nothing I'd lose altogether. One minor nit: the "lowest drag" bullet point probably shouldn't be hyphenated and the second line should be indented appropriately.

Even without a single change it's going to turn some heads and hopefully change a few minds as well.

OK, here's version two. I tried to address all comments:

vfx said:
stevezzz said:

Seems a little controversial with the EV1, even though the Tesla aerodynamicist said the Model S was better. Hard to substantiate. So changed wording to show lowest drag coefficient of any car on the road. Neither EV1 nor MB CLA are on the road.

vfx said:

Done. I tried to stay realistic with both Supercharger (1.5 hrs) and 240V 80A (3-4 hrs).

vfx said:

Dropped the white car altogether.

jwal said:
may want to change the year to 2013 (unless your car is from 2012, then it's your call)

Car is a 2012, so decided to leave it that way.

kinddog said:
That said, since you gave the full price range, you need to include the full range of accel times across models. kind of misrepresentative how you have it now...

Good point. Put the price of the performance version and clarified it as so.

geekgirls said:
I love the layout. It's great at drawing you in from a distance, and there's lots of good information to ponder once you're hooked. I do feel that it's a little too wordy and would tighten the text up wherever you can, but there's nothing I'd lose altogether. One minor nit: the "lowest drag" bullet point probably shouldn't be hyphenated and the second line should be indented appropriately.

I thought it was too wordy and full of text as well--so got rid of the line drawings, made text more concise, and added some empty space. I think it helps.

joefee said:
Too many fonts/colors/backgrounds IMO. Also, since the car will be there, take out Model S line drawings.

There's only one font on the whole poster. 4 colors: black, white, yellow, red. Line drawings are gone. Needed something to break up the areas of text. Taking out the "boxes" makes the poster appear a little bit *too* boring. Tried to improve this some.

modelSPoster.jpg

Mostly this is a great job. I have three comments:

1. The "Model S" has too much space between the letters. It would look better if it was the same width as the Tesla above it.

2. The introductory paragraph is too long. Dump the "Model S has garnered" sentence because it repeats the awards bullet points, and make the "Free fuel for life" a bullet point in the top yellow box.

3. The year at top isn't important, I'd get rid of it. By doing so you reduce the number of fonts by one and it will look a lot cleaner. It will also allow those with a 2013 Model S to use it.

Looks really nice! While I think you're correct on the supercharging, perhaps saying "150 miles in 30 minutes" is easier to comprehend, and makes more sense in that the superchargers are typically 120 miles apart so the timing at superchargers are often less 30 minutes.

I might also trade the line about "remote diagnostics/software update" (which is cool), with "Remote control via iPhone/Android app" or something like it (which is even cooler!).

Your first version was balanced from top to bottom. Now it's visually top heavy.

Not digging the yellow. The gray was much more Tesla-esque

Graphically the headliner TESLA looked better over the Tesla "T" when you had the date there. Consider going back to the old TESLA over T overlay relationship just without the 2012 date and skooching the whole T and it's adjoining art up a bit towards the top.

The edge to edge upper paragraph worked better than having space on either side.

Try center paraghraphing the awards without bullet points

--
Since you dropped the MY you might add there is a 50K version as well (you will be saying it a lot anyway)

Great work Todd. Will you give your permission for others to use this?

One nitpicking comment... You show a range of rpm of 0-5100 after the torque rating. Many will know that this is the torque rating through 5100 rpm, some may interpret it to mean that the maximum rpm is 5100. I realize you need to minimize the text on the poster, but I think the maximum motor rpm is part of the wow factor of this car and EVs in general. I'm not certain what the max rpm is (15000?), but would be nice to include that too!