Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone at Tesla Decided to Put Michelin Pilots on My New Model S P85 and.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a set of 4 Pilot Super Sports in my trunk right now... they're left over from the G37 that I traded when I bought the Model S. I'm delivering them to their new owner shortly. Unfortunately they won't fit on the S.

I really liked the Pilot Super Sports; I would definitely recommend them. Just do NOT drive on snow/ice with them!

They should get a RAISE! I had concerns about the suspension compliance and the active air after two different test drives. The Pilots fixed my concerns and the car is fantastic.
Thank You Tesla

I got my car Monday (P85, pearl white, grey 21's, loaded options). It came with Pilots and the ride is very supple considering some crappy streets we have here in Fort Worth. Having said that, I may change to something less expensive at the first tire change. The way I drive that is going to be soon!

Go to tire rack. Performance of the don't is and the Michelins is very, very similar.

Willing to bet $100 that the average driver cannot tell the difference in a blind driving test between the two.

Quick summary of the Tire Rack data:

The Continentals are slightly better in the wet, the Michelins are slightly better in the dry. Treadwear will be better on the Continentals, steering response better on the Michelins.

The Contintentals cost nearly half that of the Michelins, which is good value for those getting the Michelins now, but easier on the pocketbook to replace a flat for those with the Continentals.

Both good tires from good companies, just different tradeoffs.

Quick summary of the Tire Rack data:

The Continentals are slightly better in the wet, the Michelins are slightly better in the dry. Treadwear will be better on the Continentals, steering response better on the Michelins.

The Contintentals cost nearly half that of the Michelins, which is good value for those getting the Michelins now, but easier on the pocketbook to replace a flat for those with the Continentals.

Both good tires from good companies, just different tradeoffs.

Thanks for the research.

I actually do have both tires. The Conti on my BMW and the Michelins on the Ferrari.

Very little tread wear so far on the BMW. It's my DD. The cars are too different though to truly compare driving characteristics.

OP didn't specify which he got, but PS2 is crap compared to PSS. Better traction all around in even in lower temps. Assuming the Model S is traction limited from 0, 0-60 will improve. Plus 50% better treadlife. Just saying :)