Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How can I charge a US built Model S in Latvia?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everybody!

I live in Latvia. I've been wanting model S from the moment I read about it.
I wanted it so badly that I actually bought a delivery slot in US and shipped it here. In fact it should be in Germany by the end of the week. Another week and it should be in Riga.

As you might imagine we haven't got many charging stations here :) In fact I think there is 0 places so far.
So, I started the process of installing an outlet in my garage. When I gave the specifications to an electrician http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/downloads/universalmobileconnector_nema_14-50.pdf he scratched his head and said that its beyond his qualifications :) The second electrician justified his refusal with an overwhelming work load. I guess you get the idea. Eventually I found a company that agreed to come and help me out next week. But judging by the absence of NEMA 14-50 outlets for sale somewhere in EU (had to buy them on amazon should be here on the 10th) I gonna run into quiet a few other problems. I am starting to get afraid that the car will actually arrive before I am able to install needed outlet.

So, here is my question. Do you guys think I'll be able to charge from a regular DVR Card Solutions For Digital Surveillance ---DSW--- European outlet? With an adaptor of course.

Would really appreciate your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I share your passion for the Model S - congratulations! I would be more worried about getting it registered, since the car may not have some required European safety requirements.

Tesla hasn't published its options for charging in EU yet.

EDIT: Some others mention the J1772 option, below. That's a better way to go - find a European high-power J1772 EVSE and use it instead. The directions I give below are for a way to do it with the UMC -- 29-30 hours from empty!

With an adapter cable, you can connect the existing UMC to a CEE4 outlet. First, the warning: DO NOT USE THIS ADAPTER FOR ANYTHING ELSE, ESPECIALLY ANY US APPLIANCES -- YOU CAN DESTROY THEM. You will be providing 240V on a plug intended for 120V appliances in the US.

Use a HEAVY DUTY plug adapter like this one, but be sure it is rated at a minimum of 12A, which is what the car will draw. This is really all you will need - the car will adjust to the 240V and will draw 12A by default. Use the existing UMC's NEMA 5-15 adapter plug.

Here's the downside: the charge rate here will be less than 3 kW, which means a charge time of ~30 hours or so from empty. You will need a different option if you require faster charging -- because you are bringing a US car to Europe, you may not get 3-phase charging capability and may be limited to a maximum of the 16A single-phase 240V charging. Perhaps the European charging forum can help you as well.

If you find an electrician who can install a North American 240V NEMA 6-50 receptacle on a 50A circuit breaker, you should do that, then get the NEMA 6-50 adapter from Tesla for the UMC. That will charge at 10 kW and recharge Model S in about 8 hours. Most electricians will not be able to do that, though, as European certification and code is different. I'll drop a note to a French electrician I happen to know through another forum for you. A NEMA 14-50 isn't possible in Europe, because (much of) Europe doesn't use center-tapped 120/240V like we use in North America - they simply use 240V-only for single-phase.

Last edited:
Wow, that's really bold!

OK, since you have a J1772 adapter (it comes with the car), I think the best option is to buy a high power J1772 wallbox and use it to recharge your S. Forget the UMC and its NEMA 14-50.

Another option is to cut the NEMA side of the UMC cable, and put a blue CEE 63A 230 V 1-phase plug. That should work fine. Be sure that the work is done well to avoid any electric shock.

Keep us up to date about this issue, and enjoy your S!

Last edited:
Another option is to cut the NEMA side of the UMC cable, and put a blue CEE 63A 230 V 1-phase plug. That should work fine. Be sure that the work is done well to avoid any electric shock.

You cannot do this as the NEMA side of the UMC requires a few more wires than simply L1 / L2 & ground. There are pilot signal wires which tell the UMC which adapter is connected to the plug. If you do this you'll limit the charger to 12A at best, ruin the UMC at worst.

You can buy a 30A pigtail from Tesla and change the plug to a 32A CEE type / IEC 60309. Make sure you retain whatever means they use to identify it (probably resistor / diode).

Or you can buy a Camco Power Grip NEMA 14-50 socket through Amazon quite cheaply.

You will probably have to make use of the car's manual current setting ability, at least until European UMC pigtails show up.

You cannot do this as the NEMA side of the UMC requires a few more wires than simply L1 / L2 & ground. There are pilot signal wires which tell the UMC which adapter is connected to the plug. If you do this you'll limit the charger to 12A at best, ruin the UMC at worst.

I see... I didn't know, sorry :/

Then, a good way to go should be buying a 14-50 to CEE adaptor.

Yeah I realised that when I was ordering. I still hope that they wont refuse service once its become available in EU.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah I realised that when I was ordering. I still hope that they wont refuse service once its become available in EU.

- - - Updated - - -

I am pretty sure its gonna be an issue, but its only will concern me is I'll be able to charge the car first :)

- - - Updated - - -

Very cool to just get it from the US. But did you consider that you lost your warranty by doing so? You also won't get any support (even paid) from Tesla at all. At least that's what I was told.

- - - Updated - - -

ckobopoda, that is great that you are going such lengths to get a Model S!

Are you concerned about the 3G connectivity for maps, and probably just as importantly, software updates?

I am pretty sure its gonna be an issue, but its only will concern me if I'll be able to charge the car first :)

Very cool ckobopoda! I know there is a Norwegian car importer that has imported a US Model S to Norway and modified it so that it holds up to the Norwegian standards and has got i registered with a Norwegian license plate, and it's driving around in Norway now. They have said they are charging it via a Roadster -> Model S adapter and their Roadster HPWC that they have. They are using this car as their demo car. They had to add orange turn-indicator light into the back fender (not visible in the pictures below) and other modifications to get it approved. See some of the pics below and you can also check this thread from a local EV forum (it's in Norwegian, use Google translate to get some info from it). Also, you could maybe call them and ask for advice on modifications? Ferdinand Motor, Bergen, Norway. Are the standards in Latvia the same as in the EU? Norway is not in the EU, but follow EU standards for the most part.

tesla-model-s_59565p.jpg
BBYsgAeCUAAfyZ-.jpg

Very cool ckobopoda! I know there is a Norwegian car importer that has imported a US Model S to Norway and modified it so that it holds up to the Norwegian standards and has got i registered with a Norwegian license plate, and it's driving around in Norway now. They have said they are charging it via a Roadster -> Model S adapter and their Roadster HPWC that they have. They are using this car as their demo car. They had to add orange turn-indicator light into the back fender (not visible in the pictures below) and other modifications to get it approved. See some of the pics below and you can also check this thread from a local EV forum (it's in Norwegian, use Google translate to get some info from it). Also, you could maybe call them and ask for advice on modifications? Ferdinand Motor, Bergen, Norway. Are the standards in Latvia the same as in the EU? Norway is not in the EU, but follow EU standards for the most part.

Thanks men! Will try to contact them.

Complete shut down

Hello again!

So, the car is here. With some difficulties NEMA 14-50 outlet have been installed and mobile connector finally shows a green light when connected to it.

But I have a major problem. When model S was transported from Germany to Latvia on a trailer it ran out of charge and shut down completely. The window rolled down and it died.

I towed it to the garage and managed to plug in the mobile connector, which is impossible to take out now due to the lack of power. It happened 30 minutes ago. Its still dead.

Tesla - YouTube

So I would really appreciate if someone can tell me is they had their Tesla shut down completely and how long would it take to "become alive again" on NEMA 14-50 40amp 240v plug.
Or may be there are some other actions needed to be taken for it to start charging? It started to make some clicking sounds....

Charging Model S after shut down

Hello again!

I am really suffering with this forum, cause my posts seem to go some kind of screening before they are published. Hopefully this one will show up in Battery & Charging.

So my car have arrived to Latvia :)

I even managed to install NEMA 14-50 240v 40amp plug for it. And managed to get a green light on my mobile connector.

But unfortunately while being transferred all the way from the US the car shut down right before I picked it up yesterday. Now it doesn't seem to respond to the mobile connector. The green light is on on the connector but its not moving like it suppose to, when I plug it into the car. Seems like the car is not drawing any power :(. Its been about 3 hours now with no response.

Tesla - YouTube

May be anyone knows what to do after a shut down? Is there any special actions needed to start charging?

Thanks in advance!

Hmm, don't quote me on this, but I thought I remember something about a battery or car needing to be "reset" by Tesla after fully draining? Does Tesla have service centers (for the Roadster) near you? I hope the battery isn't damaged -- might be hard to get a replacement for it (and pricey!)

Hello again!

I am really suffering with this forum, cause my posts seem to go some kind of screening before they are published. Hopefully this one will show up in Battery & Charging.

So my car have arrived to Latvia :)

I even managed to install NEMA 14-50 240v 40amp plug for it. And managed to get a green light on my mobile connector.

But unfortunately while being transferred all the way from the US the car shut down right before I picked it up yesterday. Now it doesn't seem to respond to the mobile connector. The green light is on on the connector but its not moving like it suppose to, when I plug it into the car. Seems like the car is not drawing any power :(. Its been about 3 hours now with no response.

Tesla - YouTube

May be anyone knows what to do after a shut down? Is there any special actions needed to start charging?

Thanks in advance!

Very sorry to hear that the car shut down just before you were able to charge.
I would recommend that you call Tesla ASAP! Like the second you read this.

Owners

Contact customer support

• toll-free:
  • (877) 79-TESLA
  • (877) 798-3752