Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is it true the Model S has no tow hook?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've read there's no tow hook on the Model S. So how do they pull it up the ramp onto a flatbed truck?

Maybe I'm expecting the worst, but I've read about disabled S's that need to be flatbedded--for instance, with 12V battery issues. Well, my garage is underground, down a ramp with a 6.5 foot clearance (height). I've had a towed out, and it was a fiasco--we had to push the car to the bottom of the ramp and then use a long winch cable (attached to the tow hook) to pull the car up the ramp, all the while blocking traffic and annoying the other people in my condo building.

So what happens if I have a dead Model S down there?

There are J "fingerhook" attachment points beneath, but no traditional "big-hook" pieces. The flatbed operator asked me about it as he was loading and unloading my car for the auto show. I handed him the card and he said "oh, wow, that's kinda cool..." Apparently provisions are better than most cars on the Model S.

Interesting find from the "Roadside assistance manual" PDF I found uploaded just now to my MyTesla page.

Apparently the EU Model S has an attachable tow hook under the nose cone:
tow.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
Since I am in the towing industry and own a Tesla I was shocked to see that Tesla went backwards in the towing of the MS. Most cars made use theTow Eye attachment to pull the car onto the flatbed or to pull the car from snow. What Tesla did instead is go backwards in time to hook like we did in the 70s.I contacted one of the engineers form the factory after we did the Get Amped test drive and saw they took the Tow Eye out. He said that with the tow eye reinforcement the car was too strong for the front end low speed impact test. So they went to using the front or rear suspension arms to pull it on the flatbed. I talked to him about that and if the car won't roll it will bend the arm, and sure enough they bent, so after that test the made the suspension parts that we (towing people) hook to thicker & stronger. Me, I would prefer the Tow Eye because of the potential damage on the front end.

• Informative
Reactions: GTIceman and IdaX
Hmm, I wonder if the towing hook points on the suspension arms have anything to do with all the mis-alignment problems people are experiencing?

Unless they have had the vehicle towed, I wouldn't think so. Tie-downs during transport are problematic with every car and that's where I believe most of the problems originally start. (Of course, alignment machines with the wrong specs don't help any)

Great news!

Chris, does your owners manual (or whatever other documentation the car has) reflect the addition of a tow eye?

Yes, it shows the tow eye and how to pop off the nosecone to access the threaded attachment.
However, there is no place in the rear of the car for it to connect to.

Hang 'em with a new rope and they still complain
smile.gif

(Sorry, no offence meant.)

Careful, Jerry. Unfortunately, not everyone is a Texan ;)