Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in New York City.....?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I live in New York City. According to recargo and chargepoint, there are many L1 and L2 chargers scattered throughout the City. However, when I call several of them, the operators report that they're disabled, not working, or not even there.

My question: Does anyone have any experience charging in New York City? If so, where?

Thanks!

Mark

My question: Does anyone have any experience charging in New York City? If so, where?

I've scouted out a few around midtown in preparation for getting my S. In addition to the ones you've listed (recargo, chargepoint), I have also used Plugshare, Charge Map (openchargemap), Charge Map (this is different than the other one), Zen Car, and Plugsurfing. I don't remember which one is the best. However, all of the one's I've seen around midtown are operational. One garage had only 1 charger and he said there was a leaf always plugged in. He quoted be $800/month to park there because the S is so big. (which is complete crap by the way, I've gotten MUCH lower, HALF that other places). Another garage has 2 chargers and the manager said he's only seen 3 cars plugged in there in his 3 years of working. They all seem to be Beam charging which has unlimited charging for $99/month. I've been trying to find a garage that is around $300/month but that's pretty tough in NYC I think. I'm also on the fence about valet vs self park. I'm not sure which one to do. The two garages I've been to that had chargers said they need to valet the car but I have to go with them and plug the car in - they won't do it.

So back to your question, sorry if I'm not much help. I would scout around more. Where exactly were you looking? b/c all the garages I've called that I've found on these apps did indeed have chargers. It sounds like the places you called simply don't want to deal with the additional hassle of an electric car and don't want to be responsible for plugging it in.

Also, what garage prices have you been quoted? It seems to me that a lot of them want to charge a lot more because the Model S is such a big car and these garages are really tightly packed. That kinda kills the savings a lot for me. I know you live in NYC, but I'm only a daily commuter. I've been considering a cheap self-park and just not charging during the day if it's not cost effective. I guess, the PERFECT garage for me would be 1) self park 2) cheap 3) free charging (hah, I think a few garages used to do this last year or two years ago, but not anymore, they all are chargepoint or beam chargers). But if I find one that is self-park and cheap that has beam chargers, I might sign up for the unlimited charging $99/month.

Anyone else have experience with commuting into NYC with the model S? Where do you park and how much were you quoted?

I've scouted out a few around midtown in preparation for getting my S. In addition to the ones you've listed (recargo, chargepoint), I have also used Plugshare, Charge Map (openchargemap), Charge Map (this is different than the other one), Zen Car, and Plugsurfing. I don't remember which one is the best. However, all of the one's I've seen around midtown are operational. One garage had only 1 charger and he said there was a leaf always plugged in. He quoted be $800/month to park there because the S is so big. (which is complete crap by the way, I've gotten MUCH lower, HALF that other places). Another garage has 2 chargers and the manager said he's only seen 3 cars plugged in there in his 3 years of working. They all seem to be Beam charging which has unlimited charging for $99/month. I've been trying to find a garage that is around $300/month but that's pretty tough in NYC I think. I'm also on the fence about valet vs self park. I'm not sure which one to do. The two garages I've been to that had chargers said they need to valet the car but I have to go with them and plug the car in - they won't do it.

So back to your question, sorry if I'm not much help. I would scout around more. Where exactly were you looking? b/c all the garages I've called that I've found on these apps did indeed have chargers. It sounds like the places you called simply don't want to deal with the additional hassle of an electric car and don't want to be responsible for plugging it in.

Also, what garage prices have you been quoted? It seems to me that a lot of them want to charge a lot more because the Model S is such a big car and these garages are really tightly packed. That kinda kills the savings a lot for me. I know you live in NYC, but I'm only a daily commuter. I've been considering a cheap self-park and just not charging during the day if it's not cost effective. I guess, the PERFECT garage for me would be 1) self park 2) cheap 3) free charging (hah, I think a few garages used to do this last year or two years ago, but not anymore, they all are chargepoint or beam chargers). But if I find one that is self-park and cheap that has beam chargers, I might sign up for the unlimited charging $99/month.

Anyone else have experience with commuting into NYC with the model S? Where do you park and how much were you quoted?

Hi yobigd20, thanks for this! The issue is I'd NEVER let my car be valet'd. I've seen they way they handle normal cars (bumping, doors banging into sides of cars, over revving, etc., I'll never be able to walk away and let a valet handle my car (never mind the whole plugging it in and dealing with maximizing charge current, etc.). So, my criteria are self-park first, then location, then price. I'm in Hell's Kitchen (mid-50's on the west side). There's quite a few beam charging garages that work, just as you said, but they're all valet. Mercedes House is a HORRIBLE building to live in, but a great building to park in: The parking garage is on the 3rd floor, very spacious, between $250 and 300 per month (depends on car size and tax abatement). Currently they "gave" me a 110v outlet, which honestly is fine for me (though certainly not ideal). For months they've been telling me that they're talking with Beam Charging to install one or more of their units. Perhaps you can email them and ask (and apply further pressure)? If enough people ask then I'm sure they'd do it: Ariel is the managers name, [email protected]. The garage is at 555 w. 53rd street (corner of 53rd and 11th ave).

The quest I'm on is to find a L1 or L2 charger that I can self park at and plug in and use to my heart's content (indoor or outdoor). If anyone finds one in Manhattan, please post? I'll continue to hunt as well. thanks! :D

The garage is at 555 w. 53rd street (corner of 53rd and 11th ave). The quest I'm on is to find a L1 or L2 charger that I can self park at and plug in and use to my heart's content (indoor or outdoor). If anyone finds one in Manhattan, please post? I'll continue to hunt as well. thanks! :D

Agreed, I want self-park too, but I work over on lexington ave. A little too far to walk from 11th. I'm trying to avoid needing to take the subway, as well as finding a place that is an easy out of the city. This is not an easy task. Right now I actually live in NJ (south) and I think I'll keep commuting via NJT to NYP, but I plan on moving up to the lower corner or Orange County NY within the next few months and driving in daily. There's several ways to go and I haven't figured out yet which is the easiest to get in and get out at certain times of the day. (I'm an early bird, in by 6, out by 3:30/4:00).

Have you looked at this list? It's the only one I've found that lists self-park garages. But it also says these are casual self parking so I don't know if any of them offer monthly rates. http://parkitnyc.com/parking-nyc/nyc-parking-garages/self-parking-nyc/ and even less likely chargers. I think we may just have to do it the hard way, and use google maps and call places and walk around... ugh...

I will email ariel re: putting chargers in. I'm sure increased traffic will help.

Agreed, I want self-park too, but I work over on lexington ave. A little too far to walk from 11th. I'm trying to avoid needing to take the subway, as well as finding a place that is an easy out of the city. This is not an easy task. Right now I actually live in NJ (south) and I think I'll keep commuting via NJT to NYP, but I plan on moving up to the lower corner or Orange County NY within the next few months and driving in daily. There's several ways to go and I haven't figured out yet which is the easiest to get in and get out at certain times of the day. (I'm an early bird, in by 6, out by 3:30/4:00).

Have you looked at this list? It's the only one I've found that lists self-park garages. But it also says these are casual self parking so I don't know if any of them offer monthly rates. http://parkitnyc.com/parking-nyc/nyc-parking-garages/self-parking-nyc/ and even less likely chargers. I think we may just have to do it the hard way, and use google maps and call places and walk around... ugh...

I will email ariel re: putting chargers in. I'm sure increased traffic will help.

Thanks for the link! I'll begin slogging this weekend and next week; thanks also for calling Ariel--let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Mark

I have a monthly self-park at 42nd between 9th&10th (Manhattan Plaza Parking, 401 W 42nd st)...however there are no charging stations. I was thinking about hitting them up (as well as directly emailing chargepoint) about installing a few chargers. It's a fairly large garage, and they have zipcars there, so I figure they may be open to allowing more community infrastructure. I live in North Jersey, and I can access the garage fairly well from either a GWB approach then down the West Side Hwy or the Lincoln tunnel. I'll let them know that there are other people interested and it may be worthwhile for them.

There is also a garage that my Uncle parks his Volt at on 50th between 8th&9th (World Wide Plaza, 350 W. 50th...can also be accessed from 49th). They have 2 chargepoint bays and the valet guys there have always been very attentive and willing to plug/unplug his car as necessary. It used to be free charging, but now there is an hourly charge (can't remember what it is). Those bays are also right in front, they would occasionally even let him pull his own car in and if it was not needed by another vehicle, he would pick it up himself from the space as well.

Hope this helps!

I have a monthly self-park at 42nd between 9th&10th (Manhattan Plaza Parking, 401 W 42nd st)...however there are no charging stations. I was thinking about hitting them up (as well as directly emailing chargepoint) about installing a few chargers. It's a fairly large garage, and they have zipcars there, so I figure they may be open to allowing more community infrastructure. I live in North Jersey, and I can access the garage fairly well from either a GWB approach then down the West Side Hwy or the Lincoln tunnel. I'll let them know that there are other people interested and it may be worthwhile for them.

There is also a garage that my Uncle parks his Volt at on 50th between 8th&9th (World Wide Plaza, 350 W. 50th...can also be accessed from 49th). They have 2 chargepoint bays and the valet guys there have always been very attentive and willing to plug/unplug his car as necessary. It used to be free charging, but now there is an hourly charge (can't remember what it is). Those bays are also right in front, they would occasionally even let him pull his own car in and if it was not needed by another vehicle, he would pick it up himself from the space as well.

Hope this helps!

THanks, very helpful! I'll go walk over and check them out.

I suggest you email Joseph at beamcharging, as they offer the chargers for free to the parking garage (so installation & support comes at little/no cost to the garage). He's the guy I've been working with to get a charger (or more) installed at Mercedes House: [email protected]

THanks, very helpful! I'll go walk over and check them out.

I suggest you email Joseph at beamcharging, as they offer the chargers for free to the parking garage (so installation & support comes at little/no cost to the garage). He's the guy I've been working with to get a charger (or more) installed at Mercedes House: [email protected]

Thanks for the tip! I'll get in touch with Joseph and keep you guys posted on what happens.

I got in touch with Joseph at Beam Charging. He said that he has previously tried to make a deal with Manhattan Parking Group (who owns the self park on 42nd st.), but they were unable to come to an agreement. He recommended that I reach out to Manhattan Parking Group and request a beam charger in the hopes that they would reach out to him again, and hopefully be able to come to an agreement. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and put in a request. It would probably help if there are other parties interested in charging at a self park to do the same, please call in and request Beam Charging be installed at the Manhattan Plaza Parking Garage at 401 W 42nd St (between 9th&10th):

212-490-3460
Park in Manhattan - NYC - New York City Parking

I got in touch with Joseph at Beam Charging. He said that he has previously tried to make a deal with Manhattan Parking Group (who owns the self park on 42nd st.), but they were unable to come to an agreement. He recommended that I reach out to Manhattan Parking Group and request a beam charger in the hopes that they would reach out to him again, and hopefully be able to come to an agreement. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and put in a request. It would probably help if there are other parties interested in charging at a self park to do the same, please call in and request Beam Charging be installed at the Manhattan Plaza Parking Garage at 401 W 42nd St (between 9th&10th):

212-490-3460

Thanks man, I'll call the garage tmr and ask. I agree, the more people that do this, the better. Thanks!

Thanks for the tip! I'll get in touch with Joseph and keep you guys posted on what happens.

I just got this email from Mercedes House (avoid this building at all costs!!):

Mark,

We have spoken with several companies and at this time have made the decision not to install any equipment.

Ariel

:( <--- my [emotional] response

- - - Updated - - -

I just got this email from Mercedes House (avoid this building at all costs!!):

Mark,

We have spoken with several companies and at this time have made the decision not to install any equipment.

Ariel

:( <--- my [emotional] response

A surprise email I just got:

Mark,

The main issue is that the equipment they want to sell either costs too much, which we feel will take forever to recoup those costs or little to no cost upfront, but they want a 10 year commitment, which we are not willing to give. I am not opposed with trying to work something out for you or for others on a case by case basis, but I need to know exactly what your requirements are and need to have a way to recoup the electrical costs. Do you have a specific charger that comes with the car that has a gauge on it to measure the electric that only needs to be plugged in, or is it more complicated than that? Once I have your specifics maybe we can meet at the garage and discuss some options.

Ariel

I'll update with what's possible...! :D

- - - Updated - - -

212-490-3460

I just called to make my request. They said they don't support it now but will record my request :/

212-490-3460

Hi, so I just got a call from them, stating that they are in the process of installing chargers (my read: making a decision on which company to use), and that they will call me back in about 2 weeks with the specifics. Good news & progress..

Hi, so I just got a call from them, stating that they are in the process of installing chargers (my read: making a decision on which company to use), and that they will call me back in about 2 weeks with the specifics. Good news & progress..

I just tried to call (I've been running around all day) and had to leave a voicemail, they may have gone for the day already...hopefully I'll get a call back as well! That's great news that they are working on this, hopefully an additional phone call or two will help them feel even better about moving forward!

The conclusion is:

The parking garage agreed to give me a new spot (very isolated from other cars, which is great), and they installed a dedicated and metered NEMA 14-50 for me. I agreed to pay $600 for the installation. I'll pay normal parking rate ($257/month, I live here so I get taxes removed), plus power usage. My car arrives next week so....! :D

Update on the self-park at Manhattan Plaza (42nd between 9&10)...they did install a charger this past week, however it is a Chademo charger. They've allotted 2 spaces for EVs, and the one charger. I didn't see any standard 110 plugs nearby, so I'm hoping that they'll install something in addition to the single Chademo. OK Tesla...we need that Chademo adapter now! ;)

Update on the self-park at Manhattan Plaza (42nd between 9&10)...they did install a charger this past week, however it is a Chademo charger. They've allotted 2 spaces for EVs, and the one charger. I didn't see any standard 110 plugs nearby, so I'm hoping that they'll install something in addition to the single Chademo. OK Tesla...we need that Chademo adapter now! ;)

I was going to call their management and inquire if they have any. Ill be moving closer and commuting by car soon and was thinking of parking there if they have chargers. Perhaps we can convince them to put something in the Model S users can use.

Hi Seegem -

Would you mind telling us the details of how you worked this out? For example, how did you get the installation done - and who did the installation? Did you pay for the whole thing, or is that $600 just a portion of the install fee? What sort of metering system are you using? Anything else you can think of? I hope to do the exact same thing with my garage 20 blocks north of you, but I'd love to in armed with a full set of facts before I speak to the manager. Thanks for your help!

The conclusion is:

The parking garage agreed to give me a new spot (very isolated from other cars, which is great), and they installed a dedicated and metered NEMA 14-50 for me. I agreed to pay $600 for the installation. I'll pay normal parking rate ($257/month, I live here so I get taxes removed), plus power usage. My car arrives next week so....! :D

Hi There,

Sure, I'd be happy to help.

So, what I did was work with the most senior management of the parking area of that building. They (from two trees dumbo) lease the space to a company called Park Kwik, which is the operating & managing company that rents the space. My proposal to them was: Let me pay for the electrical installation. They pay for the metering (electric company supplied digital kWhr meter, $200) and then I pay for the power usage. They asked how long I'd be at the garage, and when I confirmed at least 1 year, 2 years very likely, they were satisfied. I further pointed out that once I leave, they can advertise an EV space (NEMA 14-50 that are fully 50 amp capable are very valuable). That made it a great proposition.

They moved my parking spot to a new one that was very near an electrical panel. They brought in an electrical contractor (one that they've used before on their other properties for electrical installation work). It was a bit over-priced in my opinion, given that they didn't need to run that much cabling, but hey, at least I got what I needed--remember to point out that it's a 40 amp continuous, 50 amp peak, load--they had to replace a 40 amp breaker with a 50 A.

So, every month (once so far) they read the meter (which started at 0, so I can track very accurately what I use), and they use the standard electrical price per kWhr to compute my bill and add it to my monthly garage rental.

So far, it's great!

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Seegem -

Would you mind telling us the details of how you worked this out? For example, how did you get the installation done - and who did the installation? Did you pay for the whole thing, or is that $600 just a portion of the install fee? What sort of metering system are you using? Anything else you can think of? I hope to do the exact same thing with my garage 20 blocks north of you, but I'd love to in armed with a full set of facts before I speak to the manager. Thanks for your help!

Hi There,

Sure, I'd be happy to help.

So, what I did was work with the most senior management of the parking area of that building. They (from two trees dumbo) lease the space to a company called Park Kwik, which is the operating & managing company that rents the space. My proposal to them was: Let me pay for the electrical installation. They pay for the metering (electric company supplied digital kWhr meter, $200) and then I pay for the power usage. They asked how long I'd be at the garage, and when I confirmed at least 1 year, 2 years very likely, they were satisfied. I further pointed out that once I leave, they can advertise an EV space (NEMA 14-50 that are fully 50 amp capable are very valuable). That made it a great proposition.

They moved my parking spot to a new one that was very near an electrical panel. They brought in an electrical contractor (one that they've used before on their other properties for electrical installation work). It was a bit over-priced in my opinion, given that they didn't need to run that much cabling, but hey, at least I got what I needed--remember to point out that it's a 40 amp continuous, 50 amp peak, load--they had to replace a 40 amp breaker with a 50 A.

So, every month (once so far) they read the meter (which started at 0, so I can track very accurately what I use), and they use the standard electrical price per kWhr to compute my bill and add it to my monthly garage rental.

So far, it's great!

Cheers,

Mark

Is it assigned parking? What's to stop someone else from charging in that spot while you're not there? (locked box?)