Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Deciphering "Message X-1"

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen-T View Post
    Could it be that Tesla is somehow replacing their crappy forum with a Tesla Motors Club based one? This actually makes some sense to me on multiple levels given other discussions going on. It also would explain why the announcement is being made to us in this way rather than in plain English in an official blog post.
    It could be, but you could produce a key to have the first 18 characters be anything. So all that was done there was pick a message then generate a key. Since the key is gibberish then I doubt it is the correct message.

Think with dispassion; Speak with equanimity; Act in calm.
    Moderator - Southeast, Future Cars, TMC Connect, Off Topic
    Do not use this material outside of Tesla Motors Club without attribution and permission.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen-T View Post
    Could it be that Tesla is somehow replacing their crappy forum with a Tesla Motors Club based one? This actually makes some sense to me on multiple levels given other discussions going on. It also would explain why the announcement is being made to us in this way rather than in plain English in an official blog post.
    As has been pointed out, you can make the text say anything by coming up with a nonsense key. I think this is a false direction.
    Res seq #12535, 85kWh non-perf, Grey/Grey/Obeche matte, Tech; Delivered 2/20/13

I just moved all the Message X-1 stuff to this thread from "Top Menu".

Do not use this material outside of Tesla Motors Club without attribution and permission.

Similar to Kryptos K1 puzzle?

While researching the autokey cipher, I came across a number of references to the Kryptos puzzle at the CIA (I think someone else mentioned Kryptos as well). There are some similarities to Kryptos. The Kryptos puzzles were named K1, K2, K3, and K4 (we have X-1). The cipher text in the Kryptos puzzles was arranged as a square, same as our puzzle. The first two Kryptos puzzles were based on autokey ciphers. We have been given a hint that our puzzle uses an autokey cipher.

So if X-1 is inspired by Kryptos, then we may actually need to find *two* keys. The solution to Kryptos used a non-standard Alphabet key of "KRYPTOS" for the encoding table. So instead of using ABC....XYZ as the first line, it used KRYPTOSABCDEFGHIJLMNQUVWXZ (see http://www.thekryptosproject.com/kry...1_solution.php), and a key of "PALIMPSEST".

I found an online decrypt tool online that allows you to enter both an alphabet key and and a passphrase, so you can experiment:

http://rumkin.com/tools/cipher/vigenere-autokey.php

I think we may need another hint.
    Blue P85 Model S (VIN#2817)

Quote Originally Posted by PureAmps View Post
    ...I found an online decrypt tool online that allows you to enter both an alphabet key and and a passphrase, so you can experiment:
    Yeah, I had initially been using that tool with the old "TESLAbcdfghijkmnopqruvwxyz" alphabet from a previous encrypted clue.
    But came to the (possibly mistaken) conclusion that we wouldn't have to guess an alphabet and a key at the same time!
    Oh well, time to try plan B.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm... x-1 could be like alphabet "xywvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcbaz"...
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

I fiddled with it quite a bit last night and came to the conclusion that we're missing an additional piece of information and/or set of assumptions.

I'm not saying we haven't been given that information (or couldn't intuit the assumptions), but I don't thing we've identified them yet.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by PureAmps View Post
    While researching the autokey cipher, I came across a number of references to the Kryptos puzzle at the CIA (I think someone else mentioned Kryptos as well). There are some similarities to Kryptos. The Kryptos puzzles were named K1, K2, K3, and K4 (we have X-1). The cipher text in the Kryptos puzzles was arranged as a square, same as our puzzle. The first two Kryptos puzzles were based on autokey ciphers. We have been given a hint that our puzzle uses an autokey cipher.

So if X-1 is inspired by Kryptos, then we may actually need to find *two* keys. The solution to Kryptos used a non-standard Alphabet key of "KRYPTOS" for the encoding table. So instead of using ABC....XYZ as the first line, it used KRYPTOSABCDEFGHIJLMNQUVWXZ (see http://www.thekryptosproject.com/kry...1_solution.php), and a key of "PALIMPSEST".

I found an online decrypt tool online that allows you to enter both an alphabet key and and a passphrase, so you can experiment:

I think we may need another hint.
    I agree. I have been messing around with that site for an hour. Doing some tactics "TESLATESLATESLATESLA..." as the key to see if 5 letters in a row show up correctly (I shifted every thing 0-[wordlength] also. I tried a number of repeated words and wasn't getting anything promising at first glance. This leads me to believe we need to come up with the correct 'alphabet key' or 'tabula recta' in addition to the actual key.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TEG View Post
    Yeah, I had initially been using that tool with the old "TESLAbcdfghijkmnopqruvwxyz" alphabet from a previous encrypted clue.
    But came to the (possibly mistaken) conclusion that we wouldn't have to guess an alphabet and a key at the same time!
    Oh well, time to try plan B.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm... x-1 could be like alphabet "xywvutsrqponmlkjihgfedcbaz"...
    maybe x-1 is "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwyxz" 'x' shifted one to the right?

- - - Updated - - -

Either way we need 2 keys to solve this cipher. A full alphabet, and then a key to start off the decoding.

Blog Entries
    It's so amusing that even the section moderator has no clue what is going on.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_G View Post
    It's so amusing that even the section moderator has no clue what is going on.
    I know. I felt obligated to put in some time today. Plus I am fiercely interested again.

And that 'alphabet key' set is going to be WAY too big to brute force. We must have some clues somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ElSupreme View Post
    Either way we need 2 keys to solve this cipher. A full alphabet, and then a key to start off the decoding.
    The tool we are using fills out the alphabet for us, throwing out duplicate letters.
    So, for instance if you put in alphabet-key MODELS, you will see it shows "Alphabet Used: MODELSABCFGHIJKNPQRTUVWXYZ"
    So, I think we are just looking for two passwords (Alphabet Key + Passphrase). I already tried a bunch of combos like "ROADSTER" + "MODELS"
    "TESLA" + "MOTORS", etc.
    Also, I think we need to make sure to select the "Decrypt" option from the pulldown on the site...
    Name:  autokey-test.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  124.0 KB

Once we find the correct two words/phrases then the text in the bottom box should show a readable message.
    At least, I think this is what we need to do.
    Time for a "million monkeys"?
    Last edited by TEG; 2013-02-05 at 02:43 PM.
    Moderator - Roadster, and Future Cars forums

Thread Information