Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Marketing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
Tesla marketing?

It didn't click immediately but...
Easy targeting on this one...
View attachment 15217
I thought Tesla wasn't spending money on advertising yet.

Then I noticed this:
FordFocusTMCAd.jpg

Looks like there might be a general EV and/or EV+Hybrid group funding this advertising.

Anybody know how to backtrack that from the advertisements?

It seems Tesla is spending on - of all things - search ads ...

These are Google's targeted ads. The reason you see all EV ads is that their targeting has decided you are an EV-interested consumer. If I was selling, say, organic oranges, I could also choose to target EV-interested consumers using Google. You can see how Google's got your profile nailed down here:
Google Ads Preferences

I believe tesla needs to inform public of existence. Anyone already interested in ev will find tesla. They need general ad to inform public of existence diffuse rumors that you have to be rich etc. getting public to think about it more valuable than getting those already interested in Ev just one thousandth of 1 percent thinking ev will get more sales than trying to lure more buyers of those who are already considering buying ev

I believe tesla needs to inform public of existence. Anyone already interested in ev will find tesla. They need general ad to inform public of existence diffuse rumors that you have to be rich etc. getting public to think about it more valuable than getting those already interested in Ev just one thousandth of 1 percent thinking ev will get more sales than trying to lure more buyers of those who are already considering buying ev

That will eventually be required, but right now they have more orders than they can fill. Increasing demand at this point would be very counterproductive and would end up with a bunch of unhappy non-customers.

Interesting that I keep seeing Siemens commercial that features space x rocket production launch and dock. Can't even tell Siemens commercial until the end when Siemens flashes up. Shame tesla doesn't have a partner to take advantage of their reputation to give tesla free advertising. Maybe something to work on

Why bother when CR just listed Tesla as the 10th most recognized vehicle brand, with no advertising campaign at all?
Silly question. How about to move up the list? No advertising at all will need to change why not get low cost ads. Look at reservation number for January. Not worried usually slow month but you don't want to wait to advertise until business dries up. I am sure tesla wants to produce more than 30 k cars per yr

Silly question. How about to move up the list? No advertising at all will need to change why not get low cost ads. Look at reservation number for January. Not worried usually slow month but you don't want to wait to advertise until business dries up. I am sure tesla wants to produce more than 30 k cars per yr

Not a silly question when you consider how tightly managed the cash flow must be.

If I were Tesla, I'd be watching a map to see how many new reservations pop up in the areas where I'd delivered cars (meaning, word of mouth is strong). Advertising would only become necessary if the reservation rate started to go down. If word of mouth is working, I'd be more interested in placing cars in new geographic areas with the right demographics, rather than spending money on advertising.

I'd be really interested to see *that* map - because while we have plenty of reports from Tesla owners (myself included) regarding how many cars they helped sell, we have no empirical data to prove the correlation.

Not a silly question when you consider how tightly managed the cash flow must be.

If I were Tesla, I'd be watching a map to see how many new reservations pop up in the areas where I'd delivered cars (meaning, word of mouth is strong). Advertising would only become necessary if the reservation rate started to go down. If word of mouth is working, I'd be more interested in placing cars in new geographic areas with the right demographics, rather than spending money on advertising.

I'd be really interested to see *that* map - because while we have plenty of reports from Tesla owners (myself included) regarding how many cars they helped sell, we have no empirical data to prove the correlation.
Was silly question in response to my question post about why not let an established brand use tesla car in promoting their brand like space x and Siemens. No cash was needed for that. I find argument against advertising boring. I like tesla but am not a zombie who believes it can do no wrong

Was silly question in response to my question post about why not let an established brand use tesla car in promoting their brand like space x and Siemens. No cash was needed for that. I find argument against advertising boring. I like tesla but am not a zombie who believes it can do no wrong

Uhh, wow? How did we go from differing opinions on advertising to 'zombies who believe Tesla can do no wrong'? Project much?

Uhh, wow? How did we go from differing opinions on advertising to 'zombies who believe Tesla can do no wrong'? Project much?
I stand by my comment but I hope you realize I didn't accuse you of being one. I just find it funny that some must be great fans of field of dreams. If you build it they will come applies in movie fantasy. If you hope to change and move an industry, influence people advertising is not a negative. Now some one will come back and claim there is no money for advertising. I will remind you that the start of the comment was to follow the type of ad that Siemens did using space x image not money

So far, Tesla's strategy is working for them. I doubt that they're just sitting back saying, 'oh hey, lookit that!'. We all have opinions on this, but Tesla is driving this bus. And they seem to be doing a pretty good job so far. We can backseat drive, but we don't have all the facts. We don't know the details on sales and where those sales are occurring. We don't know their market rollout strategy/plan, but I personally have no doubt that there IS one. j

This ain't their first time at the rodeo. :)

---------------------

(Is SpaceX advertising? Who did you think was going to pay for the ad? AFAIK, neither company is yet putting money into direct-to-consumer advertising.)

Last edited:
I stand by my comment but I hope you realize I didn't accuse you of being one. I just find it funny that some must be great fans of field of dreams. If you build it they will come applies in movie fantasy. If you hope to change and move an industry, influence people advertising is not a negative. Now some one will come back and claim there is no money for advertising. I will remind you that the start of the comment was to follow the type of ad that Siemens did using space x image not money

You have no idea what transpired between SpaceX and Siemens, including who spent 'the money'.

You've been on and on about Tesla needing to advertise for weeks now. They have been advertising, it just doesn't happen to be in manner you deem appropriate.

1) They have their own website
2) They have stores all around the world and continue to open more stores
3) They have VERY satisfied customers to date
4) They have and continue to implement the SuperCharger network
5) They have forums such as this one
6) They have several car awards
7) They have new articles being written about them every week on Seeking Alpha, Motley Fool and in several online and paper publication
8) They have a certain Republican flogging their name
9) They have Get Amped Tours
10) The list goes on...

Call me crazy, but that seems like a whole lot of advertising to me.

Adding to the list: Tesla has a logo and they put it and their name on clothing that thousands of people are walking around in.

Last edited:

I believe the car sells itself. I've had my car for 5 weeks and am responsible for 4 confirmed new sales.

I believe the car sells itself. I've had my car for 5 weeks and am responsible for 4 confirmed new sales.
That's great. Lets do some math. 3000 cars probably delivered more than a month ago with each one resulting In 5 new sales that would be 15000 new reservations in the last month. Uh oh only 900 reservation made in that time period. Some one out there is not being an effective sales person. You need to make a video teacher us all how to sell the caR.

oh well I give up. Tesla is perfect. They are great. There is no suggestions that can contribute to the model. Certainly not from any junior members. You should all go on to another topic. I am beaten into submission.

That's great. Lets do some math. 3000 cars probably delivered more than a month ago with each one resulting In 5 new sales that would be 15000 new reservations in the last month. Uh oh only 900 reservation made in that time period. Some one out there is not being an effective sales person. You need to make a video teacher us all how to sell the caR.

oh well I give up. Tesla is perfect. They are great. There is no suggestions that can contribute to the model. Certainly not from any junior members. You should all go on to another topic. I am beaten into submission.

Oh stop. If people have differing opinions, they're not zombies, they're not beating you into submission. They just have a different opinion.

This needs to be moved to an "advertising" thread. Tesla uses the stores as their major advertising. It is different than TV commercials. It is probably better. Why? Because, while the Model S is a beautiful car, it uses a power train that most people don't understand. In 60 seconds it is impossible to explain to someone that doesn't know the Model S how it works. Sure they can drape a scantily clad woman across the hood and show the car zooming across the screen, that will get a bunch of people to come in or go online and buy the car. Maybe they will be happy with their purchase, but then again, maybe they won't. That dissatisfaction could generate a lot of unintended consequenses that Tesla doesn't need to be dealing with right now. The current system is generating all the sales they can handle. It allows Tesla to grow at a pace that is under control and they are selling to people that understand what they are buying and how it works.

And to bring it back to investments, it generates long term growth and profits. Let other companies go for the quick buck. It is big part of why Tesla is successful.

That's my opinion.