Page 27 of 208 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Thread: Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Raffy.Roma View Post
    @derekt75

Actually, as you pointed out, the problem of the too high CO2 concentration in the atmosphere is huge. All we can do is trying to make our best at personal level to try to find a solution to this problem.
    In my opinion best thing would be an agreement among Governments all over the world with precise targets on CO2 concentration in the atmosphere to be achieved in the following, let's say, 40 years.
    If this will not happen you are right, we will be forced to do some geo-engineering to actively remove it from the air.
    Trying our best at a personal level isn't going to do much.

We need government involvement.
    Blue Model S Perf with Pano Roof, Black Interior, Carbon Fiber Accents, 21" Silver Wheels, Sound, Tech, delivered Dec 2012

Quote Originally Posted by derekt75 View Post

Agree 100%. In this thread I proposed the establishment of an International Organization giving directions concerning anti-pollution standards to Governments all over the world, but my proposal didn't have much success among TMC Members.

As I say in my post #232 I also found out that UNFCCC is an International Organization dealing with environmental problems.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum without my expressed consent.

Cdn Sig & Solar Supporter RichardC's Avatar
    I found a source stating that land and oceans manage to absorb 55% of CO2 emitted in the atmosphere. The remaining 45% of CO2 emitted keeps staying in the atmosphere causing the greengas effect.
    So if we want to stop the rise of CO2 concentration in the atmosphere we should reduce CO2 emissions at global level at least for a percentage of 45%.
    But I think that we should do even better if we want to decrease CO2 concentration in the atmosphere.
    Raffy, it is considerably more complicated due to the diminishing capacity of the oceans to absorb additional carbon dioxide, the formation of carbonic acid in the oceans and positive feedback effects giving rise to further releases of GHGs and warming. The following article from yesterday's Globe and Mail discusses the first two of these issues. See:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/techn...02/?cmpid=rss1

A very large amount of the carbon dioxide that we emit every year by burning the fossil fuels ends up in the ocean … it used to be … probably over the last 200 years as much as 50 per cent is dissolved in the ocean.

Much less is dissolving now because the chemistry of the ocean is changing. As we add more and more CO2 to the oceans, the ability of the oceans to take up more CO2 goes down. In fact, it’s filling up with CO2 and taking less and less out of the atmosphere.

That means more and more stays in the atmosphere, which drives more and more climate change. This changes the heat balance of the Earth and is causing our climate to become warmer … there are predictions that with a warmer planet comes more extreme weather conditions.

What do you hope your research will lead to?

A better understanding of how much CO2 will remain in the atmosphere 50 to 100 years from now. … If you put something into the atmosphere as a result of deliberate activity, whether that’s driving a car or turning on your TV, then I think you have a responsibility to understand what is happening with that. … CO2 in the ocean is an acid, so we are actually making the oceans slightly more acidic with time and because the ocean acidity has always been … invariant … there are some concerns that what we are doing right now may be affecting the viability of sea water as a habitat for certain forms of life in the future.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by derekt75 View Post

Agreed. The dumping of pollution of any type into the global commons requires government action to either directly regulate the pollution or else to put a price on the pollution such that market forces indirectly regulate the emissions.

- - - Updated - - -

Agree 100%. In this thread I proposed the establishment of an International Organization giving directions concerning anti-pollution standards to Governments all over the world, but my proposal didn't have much success among TMC Members.

As I say in my post #232 I also found out that UNFCCC is an International Organization dealing with environmental problems.
    That is correct. The ceiling amount of 450 PPM of CO2 has been widely recognized as a "do-not-exceed" limit, associated with a likely temperature increase of 2 deg C. By way of background, human activity has increased CO2 levels from around 280 PPM to 400 PPM since the beginning of the industrial revolution (when we began to burn serious amounts of fossil fuels). We are currently increasing levels by around 3 PPM per year, and the volumes are still increasing. While the problem is well understood, and the solution, namely putting a price on carbon, is also clear, there are political impediments (principally erected by industry lobbyists and PR types) to effective action. For information on the CO1 levels see:

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/
    http://co2now.org/
    http://www.ktvq.com/news/global-co2-...-high-in-2012/

Quote Originally Posted by RichardC View Post
    That is correct. The ceiling amount of 450 PPM of CO2 has been widely recognized as a "do-not-exceed" limit, associated with a likely temperature increase of 2 deg C. By way of background, human activity has increased CO2 levels from around 280 PPM to 400 PPM since the beginning of the industrial revolution (when we began to burn serious amounts of fossil fuels). We are currently increasing levels by around 3 PPM per year, and the volumes are still increasing. While the problem is well understood, and the solution, namely putting a price on carbon, is also clear, there are political impediments (principally erected by industry lobbyists and PR types) to effective action. For information on the CO1 levels see:

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/gmd/ccgg/trends/
    http://co2now.org/
    http://www.ktvq.com/news/global-co2-...-high-in-2012/
    I thought it was closer to 2 ppm per year, but regardless, 450 ppm is going to be exceeded by 2050. USA and Europe might be releasing slightly less CO2 this year than we did last year, but we're still releasing lots of carbon from fossil fuels with no realistic end in sight. Temperatures will increase, oceans will rise and become more acidic. Some anthropogenic climate change is inevitable. The question is how much. A 3°C rise would be preferable to a 6°C rise.
    Blue Model S Perf with Pano Roof, Black Interior, Carbon Fiber Accents, 21" Silver Wheels, Sound, Tech, delivered Dec 2012

Name:  globalwarminghoax.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  114.8 KB
    Carbon Free Girl | Never underestimate a vegan hippie chick with a race car.
    VIN P17895. Silver P85+ with dark wheels, pano roof, carbon fiber interior and spoiler with vegan seats and steering wheel. Green. It's the new black.

Now all we need is to get Danica Patrick on our side!! We've got Leilani!

And Leilani's a lot smarter, it seems. Teslas, Vegetarian, etc., etc., and a girl. I know several girls who would claim that such a combination is a winner.

I'll say it before someone else does:
    "Girls don't know anything about cars."

ETA til Bonnie arrives with the smackdown...7 posts.

Leilani, please prove me wrong by letting me ride-along sometime.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

@brianman

As Bonnie already gave many evidences it is not true that girls don't know anything about cars. Also Leilani gave in this article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/leilan...b_3327721.html

evidences of being very clever and understand a lot about cars and not only cars.

Ok in Italy I see women doing unbelievable things while driving . But it's only a matter of getting used to it .
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum without my expressed consent.

I think Raffy missed my sarcasm.
    Truly Electric Spaceship-Like Adventure ~ Signature Model Spaceship

PLEASE NOTE: these musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership. My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my expressed consent. Especially the NYT, which is clearly ethically challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    I think Raffy missed my sarcasm.
    Ok I understood. Also my post was based on sarcasm.

Thread Information