Page 263 of 263 FirstFirst ... 163213253259260261262263
Results 2,621 to 2,629 of 2629

Thread: Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
    ... absurd form of inter-generational theft constitutes a crime against humanity and is wholly unacceptable.

This is my favorite quote from George Marshalls book 'How our Brains are wired to ignore climate change'

'There is no option of being an innocent bystander to a crime that you have knowingly agreed to'
    Great quote.
    And I do use the crimes against humanity line quite a lot. Problem is, a crime is a "socialized" label.

Slavery, genocide, etc may have been moral atrocities all along but it's a relatively recent thing to call them crimes. We can work to make ecocide a crime, but crimes are defined by authorities. Authorities are established to keep power status quos, and therefore trail power shifts, not lead them.

There's been great pieces on Medium lately regarding global warming; including discussions on mindset a and communication and some short climate fiction pieces for those so inclined.
    Model X Config: 110kWh battery, Tech Package, Motorized roof rack, 55kWh Battery Trailer, Matte Obeche Exterior wood paneling, fish tank armrest.
    Tesla Model X #1188 - This post is (c) the author, all rights reserved, not to be used outside the TMC forums without explicit consent.

Quote Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
    We're getting close to the point that appeasement has run its course and closer to the point that it needs to be made abundantly clear that continued reliance on fossil fuels... this absurd form of inter-generational theft constitutes a crime against humanity and is wholly unacceptable.

This is my favorite quote from George Marshalls book 'How our Brains are wired to ignore climate change'

'There is no option of being an innocent bystander to a crime that you have knowingly agreed to'
    The way I describe it is "accessory BEFORE the fact for the crime of genocide"... which if it isn't on the books, should also be a crime.

Hopefully we won't be tried in absentia...
    2015 85D MC Red, Pano, 19's, Next Gen, Tech, Sound, Sub-zero.

Great to see from a business prospective: General Mills Takes Climate Change Seriously Because You Cant Make Wheaties Without Wheat | ThinkProgress

“Climate plays a significant role in the long-term viability of our business,” Jerry Lynch, vice president and chief sustainability officer at General Mills, said in an interview posted to the company’s official blog Monday. “As a global food company, we recognize the need to mitigate the risks climate change present to humanity, our environment and our livelihoods long term.”

Quote Originally Posted by ggies07 View Post
    Good that global companies help to work out the Climate Change issue.

Think everybody should trust President Obama:

Obama: Climate change threatens US 'right now' | TheHill

Climate change threatens US "right now"

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Raffy.Roma View Post
    Think everybody should trust President Obama:

Obama: Climate change threatens US 'right now' | TheHill

Climate change threatens US "right now"
    I'll agree that President Obama has taken some important steps in the right direction, and that his words are on point. But if he believes his own rhetoric, why (a) did he approve drilling in the Arctic and (b) not demand tougher CPP rules? I know, he's probably gone as far as he and his advisors think he can go, realistically, but for a man whose name is never going to be on another ballot, he could show more courage on these decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Boston View Post
    I'll agree that President Obama has taken some important steps in the right direction, and that his words are on point. But if he believes his own rhetoric, why (a) did he approve drilling in the Arctic and (b) not demand tougher CPP rules? I know, he's probably gone as far as he and his advisors think he can go, realistically, but for a man whose name is never going to be on another ballot, he could show more courage on these decisions.
    Agreed, there are limits to what he can oppose without causing a political meltdown. And agreed, he's far enough along in his term to make more courageous decisions. Some of that could be thinking to the future... a Republican President would likely roll much of it back. A Democrat, not as likely. But if the changes he makes now are seen as going too far, that could influence the outcome of the election. I see it as a bit of a balancing act - how far can you push this before you fall off the log?

However, I will be looking forward to seeing what creature Bear Grylls feeds him semi-raw on his show. What's in season up there right now? Pika? Wolverine? Maybe club a seal?

In reality, if the show is done right, THAT will cause more change at the grassroots level than mandating something his successor can simply undo.
    2015 85D MC Red, Pano, 19's, Next Gen, Tech, Sound, Sub-zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Boston View Post
    Agreed, I wish someone would call him out on this in an interview. I've said it before, but "balls to the walls". I mean, it's 4th quarter on the 4th down for him. Go for it.

I think beeerock makes a valid point, if Obama pushes it too far it could hurt the Democrats, and give the Republicans the ability to undo everything he's done.
    Waiting for ≡

Page 263 of 263 FirstFirst ... 163213253259260261262263

Thread Information