Page 123 of 147 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,230 of 1469

Thread: Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Miller View Post
    Yes. But energy construction costs for a car are huge compared to a bike so we shouldn't neglect them.
    In "Sustainable Energy without the hot air" Mackay
    estimates that it takes 76,000 kwh of energy to build an ICE car:
    Ch 15 Page 90: Sustainable Energy - without the hot air | David MacKay
    Over a 15 year lifespan of the car, that comes to 14 kwh hours per day.
    Assuming again electrical energy from natural gas is used for energy (just to get
    a ballpark figure) and assuming it takes about as much energy to build an EV
    as it does an ICE, construction costs add another 18 pounds of CO2 per day
    over the life of the car. You'd have to biking/driving over a hundred miles a day
    on a typical diet for the purely renewable powered EV to be the lower carbon option...
    bikes are hard to beat.
    Of course, if you were biking 100 miles a day, you wouldn't be eating the typical diet. 100 miles (163 km) a day is about six hours of biking for a non-racer. A 300 km randonneur ride takes about 12 hours.

Bear in mind that with the Model S, the battery has a second life as a solar backup battery, so only about 50% goes against the car. Also aluminium has a better recycle factor than the typical ICE car because the aluminium can be recycled to make another car while the recycled steel can't be used as if it was newly made steel. Sure, a bicycle will still beat the Model S in terms of total CO2 usage over it's life, but the Model S is far better than a traditional ICE car when everything is taken into account.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Model S: VIN P 3552 gg_got_a_tesla's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gg_got_a_tesla View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Boston View Post
    ^^ don't forget to add a discussion point. Remember, no more "here's a link" posts, please.
    Yes, sir!

The article didn't mention global warming directly but, the spread of malaria is a curious and undesirable side-effect of the warming temperatures at higher altitudes.
    VIN P 3552 - 60 kWh with Supercharging, Green, Black Roof, Black Leather, Piano Black trim, Tech Package, Active Air Suspension, 19" Wheels, Firmware v5.9 (1.51.94), 23,000+ blissful miles since January 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Boston View Post
    ^^ don't forget to add a discussion point. Remember, no more "here's a link" posts, please.
    Nice to see that this thread has got a high level of quality and specialization.
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum without my expressed consent.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffy.Roma View Post
    Nice to see that this thread has got a high level of quality and specialization.
    As long as you don't have to provide a link to support such bland statements

On the subject of the biking meat eater, I first encountered it in David MacKay's book mentioned above. Depending on the person bringing it forward, I'd reply that the only humans that solely fed on meat where the Neanderthals and they are extinct today. double tongue.

Quote Originally Posted by jerry33 View Post
    Of course, if you were biking 100 miles a day, you wouldn't be eating the typical diet. 100 miles (163 km) a day is about six hours of biking for a non-racer. A 300 km randonneur ride takes about 12 hours.

Bear in mind that with the Model S, the battery has a second life as a solar backup battery, so only about 50% goes against the car. Also aluminium has a better recycle factor than the typical ICE car because the aluminium can be recycled to make another car while the recycled steel can't be used as if it was newly made steel. Sure, a bicycle will still beat the Model S in terms of total CO2 usage over it's life, but the Model S is far better than a traditional ICE car when everything is taken into account.
    Good points on the Model S. By "typical American diet", I meant the typical mixture of foods that Americans eat as detailed in the link, not the typical amount of food. For the biking calculation, I assumed the person would eat an additional 31 cal per day for each mile biked.

Quote Originally Posted by VolkerP View Post
    I'd reply that the only humans that solely fed on meat where the Neanderthals ...
    I was not aware of that. Any sources?

Quote Originally Posted by JRP3 View Post
    I was not aware of that. Any sources?
    I also knew that mankind passed from Neanderthal man to "homo sapiens" thanks to a diet based on fish which changed the DNA of men (and women of course).
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum without my expressed consent.

I guess the "meat only" premise was based on older theories:

The researchers say the starch granules and carbohydrate markers in the samples, plus evidence for plant compounds such as azulenes and coumarins, as well as possible evidence for nuts, grasses and even green vegetables, show a broader use of plants than previously thought.

The real Neanderthal diet: Researchers shed new light on early man's diet - and it turns out they ate their greens (and knew how to use plants as medicine) | Mail Online

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    Interesting digression on Neanderthal diet. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

28 U.S. Senators plan an all-night talk on climate change.

26 of them Democrats, and 2 Independents. Not a single Republican Senator is willing to show some backbone and take a stand on this issue.

28 Senators Will Stay Up All Night Monday To Talk About Climate Change

Thread Information