Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st Months Commuting Data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is my 1st month of driving my Model S for work commuting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,646
Yes, prior to getting a 14-50 outlet available at my work location I needed the range charges to pull off the round trips. From here on out I won't. I'll also be able to drive 70+ mph with the heat running on those -8 days and still have some fun with the other so called performance cars that I meet on the highway. I still stop at my favorite gas hole for a coffee break and save $54 not having to buy gas each trip. Range anxiety is gone. I'm free from the oil cartels. My $100k car payment is being paid for by my mileage reimbursement and fuel savings. I look forward to commuting now!

@Daniel Scherer
Just curious to see if you got your electric bill yet? My first month over 3200 miles with about 1000 -1100 kwh cost me about $310 in electricty. Since i'm in CA, i'm on that the more you use the more you pay... and i have solar too. The cost of charging pushed me into tier 5 and thats what messed me up. I commute 150 miles round trip for about 21 days per month. Since i dont have any EV chargers at work, i have to charge about 50kwh. Thinking about putting a 2nd meter at home only for EV charging since its fixed .12 khw 9pm -12noon year round. Anyone have any similar experience?

@Daniel Scherer
Just curious to see if you got your electric bill yet? My first month over 3200 miles with about 1000 -1100 kwh cost me about $310 in electricty. Since i'm in CA, i'm on that the more you use the more you pay... and i have solar too. The cost of charging pushed me into tier 5 and thats what messed me up. I commute 150 miles round trip for about 21 days per month. Since i dont have any EV chargers at work, i have to charge about 50kwh. Thinking about putting a 2nd meter at home only for EV charging since its fixed .12 khw 9pm -12noon year round. Anyone have any similar experience?

Well think of it this way. 3200 miles / 25 mpg (generous for large car), * $4 per gal premium = $512 (so at least you saved some money)

Even at high mpg 41 mpg you would have broken even.

But I would get on a ToU, or at least get another meter on ToU. Because in the summer you are going to get killed using that much power.

Well think of it this way. 3200 miles / 25 mpg (generous for large car), * $4 per gal premium = $512 (so at least you saved some money)

Even at high mpg 41 mpg you would have broken even.

But I would get on a ToU, or at least get another meter on ToU. Because in the summer you are going to get killed using that much power.

Its actually in the works right now. They are giving me a quote on setting up everything but it looks like its going to be EXPENSIVE. :scared:

Regardless, i'm going to bite the bullet with gas prices hitting 4.19 for regular it will pay for itself later. I heard something about getting a 30% break for taxes for setting up a meter...but have to verify that.

I'm surprised i havent heard from other tesla road warriors about the spike in there electric bill.

I'm surprised i havent heard from other tesla road warriors about the spike in there electric bill.
150 miles/day is a pretty long commute (no idea what your actual commute is, I just divided 3,000 miles by 20 work days). I'm guessing most aren't driving that much and as others said it's still cheaper than gas even in high-priced California.

In mid-summer PG&E is switching to a new EV ToU rate. Details here: Big increase in PGE E-9 rates (N. Cal.))

Since I assume you run A/C during the day you're probably better off getting a second meter installed and running that one on a ToU.

On the other hand, could you add some more solar to keep you in the lower tiers? Wonder what the cost difference would be vs adding another meter?

150 miles/day is a pretty long commute (no idea what your actual commute is, I just divided 3,000 miles by 20 work days). I'm guessing most aren't driving that much and as others said it's still cheaper than gas even in high-priced California.

In mid-summer PG&E is switching to a new EV ToU rate. Details here: Big increase in PGE E-9 rates (N. Cal.))

Since I assume you run A/C during the day you're probably better off getting a second meter installed and running that one on a ToU.

On the other hand, could you add some more solar to keep you in the lower tiers? Wonder what the cost difference would be vs adding another meter?

urghhhh i typed a reply and timed out. :crying:

@strider

Yeah my commute is long but its a simple drive no traffic and i just listen to XM.
After calling solar\ev dept @ SCE, i determined that the second meter was the best option. We are currently on the D-SDP which is the domestic summer discount plan. With the solar, we always get a credit....even during the summer. The addition of the MS, we hit into tier 5 . The bad part is we have to pay for the installation of the 2nd meter which is 2k and up.:crying:

Kind of off topic, but wow, that is crazy what some people I see posting are paying for electricity.

We were paying $0.081/kwh and there is a big push for the municipalities in our area to negotiate for lower provider costs via competitive bid, so ours did and the rate is now down to $0.042/kwh. Also there are no tiers like it sounds like in California.

It definitely makes it easier to justify some significant cost savings vs. fuel!

Kind of off topic, but wow, that is crazy what some people I see posting are paying for electricity.

We were paying $0.081/kwh and there is a big push for the municipalities in our area to negotiate for lower provider costs via competitive bid, so ours did and the rate is now down to $0.042/kwh. Also there are no tiers like it sounds like in California.

It definitely makes it easier to justify some significant cost savings vs. fuel!

yeap, in Southern California Edison. we are at tier 5. 32 cents / kwh. going to TOU isn't better for us.
only choice is 2nd meter, even then we are talking about ~14 cents/kwh after you factor in everything.
funny thing is just a city over, some are on DWP (LA department of water and power), they are over 1/3 cheaper... pretty screwy here..

We've officially had our Model S for 2 months! We've logged 2,500 miles. Our monthly electric bill has gone up about $42.00. However, I'm no longer spending $250 per month for gasoline!
We only used public charging 3 times during the first 2,500 miles:
(Once) - Overnight, full refuel at hotel (free)
(Once) - 30 min. opportunity use of public charging station (free)
(Once) - 3 hour opportunity use of public charging station (free)
(several times) - Desired opportunities at public charging stations (all ICE'd)

Closest Tesla Supercharger 1,100 miles from our home in Florida.

I rarely charge at home; with free EV charging at my office, I plug in there during the day. With the short commute I have, I only need to charge at home if I drive a lot on the weekend. 659 kWh of free power so far (about $120).

Yeah, I know, spending $90k to save $120 isn't a good buy. But having spent the $90k, I might as well enjoy the savings!