Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do any Ontarians have a green license plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one on my Roadster (GVAA001 - the very first plate!). I don't have one on my Model S, though; it has a vanity plate.

I also plan on installing a vanity plate on my Model S. I'm curious - why did you decide to not get the green plate ? I personally find that the green plate has few advantages in my city (Ottawa, Canada). Now.. if I could get a Green vanity plate - I'd be on board !

I also plan on installing a vanity plate on my Model S. I'm curious - why did you decide to not get the green plate ? I personally find that the green plate has few advantages in my city (Ottawa, Canada). Now.. if I could get a Green vanity plate - I'd be on board !

I'm also in Ottawa too. I live in Barrhaven and I never use the HOV lane. I've used it a few times in the Roadster just for the heck of it, but I've never been in rush hour traffic so I could go just as fast in the regular lane. If I lived in Kanata and commuted on the 417 then I'd probably want the plate.

As for why? Well, I had bought my "N TESLA" plate for my Roadster before the Green Plate program was announced. When the Roadster arrived it had GVAA 001 - the first ever green plate - so I just couldn't take that off, could I?!?

When the Model S was delivered it didn't have a green plate because "they were out of them". Instead of tracking down a green plate I decided to put the N TESLA plate on it.

For anyone else in Ontario who got a 2013 with blue plates, it looks like the issue with the cars being registered incorrectly as 4 cyl vehicles in MTO's database has been resolved, or is being resolved.

I didn't want to wait for TM to arrange the plate swap so I went down today to my local ServiceOntario location on Fairview St in Burlington to see what they'd say. They didn't seem to have the Model S in their own documentation so I showed them a printout of the list of eligible vehicles from MTO's website (Electric Vehicles: Eligible for Incentive Program). They had to call out somewhere to get the okay, but a few minutes later I walked out happy with my new green plates.

The cost was $22, which will be reimbursed by Tesla. If you manage to get your green plates, be sure to let your DS know.

When I picked up my S, they had put on new "regular" Ontario plates. I had thought they were going to flip the plates from my trade-in (which I had renewed just days earlier) over to the S, but no. I asked why, since they ordered new plates anyway, they didn't go with green plates. I was told that the 2013 Model S wasn't in the MTO's database of green vehicles, and they wouldn't supply them! Tesla said they'd reimburse me if I want to get green plates later, once the MTO sorts out their issues.

So, should I get green plates? I really didn't buy the Model S out of any environmental concerns and am not sure what benefit I would derive. I rarely, if ever, drive routes with HOV lanes, and that perk is only available until June 2015 anyway. Am I missing something?

So, should I get green plates? I really didn't buy the Model S out of any environmental concerns and am not sure what benefit I would derive. I rarely, if ever, drive routes with HOV lanes, and that perk is only available until June 2015 anyway. Am I missing something?

No, you're not missing anything besides the HOV lanes. The June 2015 date might get extended based on HOV capacity.

They also allow you to use charging stations at GO Transit and other provincially operated lots, and park in designated EV-only spaces - not that I've seen any yet that required green plates, but I could see this happening.

They also allow you to use charging stations at GO Transit and other provincially operated lots, and park in designated EV-only spaces - not that I've seen any yet that required green plates, but I could see this happening.

Hmmm good point. I DO prefer the green plate to those ugly stickers Californians are required to use for HOV lanes, and if it becomes the de facto standard for identifying an EV, then maybe I should just go ahead and get them.

I picked mine up with green plates installed (GVAB 743). I would have also preferred to reuse my vanities, but opted for green for now. I wanted to test out new morning commute routes on the 417 east in the morning to see if it saved my morning travel time. I also figured if more retail places/govt buildings added green parking, I wasn't sure if having green plates was required. If anything, I was hoping the plate would enlighten some confused about the car type would say "Green plates? Is that electric?"

I haven't tested out the HOV lane in Ottawa yet as I don't have my front plate installed and I don't want to get pulled over until I get the front bracket that I ordered (Skene).

If anything, I was hoping the plate would enlighten some confused about the car type would say "Green plates? Is that electric?"

LOL, I'm not sure that works. I remember overhearing a bunch of kids looking at my Roadster beneath my office window (our old office was upstairs). "Hey, these plates are green. What does that mean?" "It's a hybrid." "Oh."

I got mine with blue plates in December but changed them to green ones last month. They were out of English versions so I ended up with VEAA for vehicle ecologique. :)

btw, I love driving in the HOV lane by myself.... Especially with the roadster. Once a cop came up behind me doin 200 km/h from far away to give me a ticket only to realize that I have green plates.

Hilarious! Not living in Kanata, I've only had a chance to use the HOV lanes a few times in my Roadster, and I only did it for the novelty as the traffic didn't warrant it. No cops seen either.

I haven't bothered with the Green plates on the S for that reason - currently no advantage to it. If more advantages appear then I can always switch. In the meantime I have vanity plates, which you can't get in green.