Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Install an HPC on a 60amp breaker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An HPC was included with my roadster when I bought it (used), but I only have 60 amps available in my garage. Can I install it and set the max charging rate to 48amps on the charger? The install guide implies this ability with a chart showing charging rates based on 80% of the breaker rating, but it doesn't say how to about tell the charger its connected to a 60amp breaker. I know I can tell the car to charge at a specific rate.

Last edited:
The good news is, yes, you can do that. There are some switches inside the unit that can be set to tell it how many amps to pull. (It is meant to be done once, at install time).

The bad news is, no, I don't have documentation saying how (I don't have an HPC); and I seem to recall comments from owners saying the procedure is not obvious. I assume Tesla has installation instructions that they typically sent to electricians.

If you search online, perhaps you'd be able to find instructions for a Clipper Creek unit - they manufactured the HPCs for Tesla.

Yes this can be found on page 12 of the HPWC installation guide, available from the View Manuals button or Download Manuals and Warranty link on your My Tesla page. There are dip switches that you toggle to certain positions for how many Amps your breaker has. For example, I will be setting mine for 50A until I upgrade my main panel from a pair of 100A mains to a single 200A main.

Oops sorry...my comment refers to the Model S HPWC, not the Roadster HPC...was not paying attention to which forum I was in!

Last edited:
You should probably check your local electrical code...I had a NEMA 1450 with a 50 amp breaker installed at my office...I picked up a 40amp charge station with a J1772 connector so I decided to change my install from the NEMA to the charge station (so other EVers could also use my facility)...within 2 days of switching, an electrical inspector came by to check to see that we had replaced the 50 amp breaker with. 40 amp one...

An HPC was included with my roadster when I bought it (used), but I only have 60 amps available in my garage. Can I install it and set the max charging rate to 48amps on the charger? The install guide implies this ability with a chart showing charging rates based on 80% of the breaker rating, but it doesn't say how to about tell the charger its connected to a 60amp breaker. I know I can tell the car to charge at a specific rate.

Last edited:
The answer I believe is yes if it is made by Clipper Creek. I too purchased an HPC (made by Clipper Creek and branded as a Tesla) used and found it was limited to 40 amps due to a similar situation you mentioned. I called Clipper Creek and on my model of HPC (and maybe all) it had to be programed using a special handheld programmer. The tech was VERY helpful and they send me the unit with clear instructions and just asked me to send it back. I did and now plug Clipper Creek at every opportunity for their great customer service.

I would recommend limiting at the HPC so no-one accidently (like maybe a firmware update) charges above the breaker rating.

dhrivnak: thank you for that info. I looked at it carefully and yes it is a Clipper Creek charger. I opened it up and did not see anything to change settings, just a huge connector and a circuit board. It looks really easy to wire up. I called Clipper Creek and he told me they would re-program the circuit board if I sent it in to them, at no cost.
The charger has a permanent Roadster connector, so no other car can plug into it. He said that if I just set the roadster charge limit to 48amps, I could use it as is because the vehicle controls the charge, not the charger. He added that the worst case scenario is that the breaker would trip. So, I'm trying to decide how I feel about removing the circuit board from the unit and mailing it, vs being careful to set the charge rate on my roadster.

He said that if I just set the roadster charge limit to 48amps, I could use it as is because the vehicle controls the charge, not the charger. He added that the worst case scenario is that the breaker would trip.

That's not the worst case scenario. I'm sure FlasherZ will jump in soon to explain it better than I can. But if the breaker fails, and they do sometimes, your house could burn down.

Remember it's a dual breaker, and either one tripping will stop the charging. Both breakers failing is probably a remote possibility.

If you program the current in the Roadster, it will remember for that location. Just don't forget if you get a visiting Roadster... that's the sort of scenario that FlasherZ gets concerned about.