Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sxsw 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ElSupreme

Model S 03182
Jan 13, 2012
Atlanta, GA
I am going to be in Austin (and Houston) for the first week of SXSW this year. I found out about two weeks ago that Elon Musk is the keynote on the first Saturday there.
Elon Musk to Keynote SXSW Interactive | SXSW 2013

Sadly I won't be bringing the Tesla. This trip was possible by winning free airline tickets at a benefit evening. And there aren't any superchargers to convince me to drive 900+ miles. I'll be rocking my mom's BMW 5, my cousin's LEAF, my other cousin's Prius (Prius C I think), or a bicycle (my preference) if I can scrounge one up.

Any general SXSW tips otherwise?

My tips:
1. Line up really early for the keynote. You wont get in otherways. Seriously. We were over an hour early for Al Gore and Sean Parker and didn't get in
2. Take an umbrella and some GOOD shoes
3. Stay up late and enjoy the main street
4. RSVP ahead of times for clubs. I believe there is a facebook page with club RSVP information
5. Network, talk to anyone when you're standing in line. We partied with some FaceBook guys just by passing time and asking their names.

I think we should try to get VIP passes for Elon's keynote. You'd think that would be a nice thing to do for Model S early adapters at SXSW. I wonder if he's hosting a party that weekend?

I sure hope you've booked a room already. Things have been full for a long time, and remaining places are VERY expensive.

Have breakfast at least once at the Driskill hotel. I love that place. Also, if you're a hotdog/sausage fan, Frank is awesome (I think it's on Colorado).

Drive a Tesla while there.

Uber Blog s back for #SXSW13!
We’ve also partnered with Tesla to showcase their new Model S. When requesting an UBERx, there’s a chance you can be a lucky one and snag one of these bad boys below.

• Jump for joy as you realize that your ride is going to be FREE!
  • There will be a few super-secret Teslas on the system, so keep your fingers crossed.
  • No joy riding – please limit your trips to under 10 miles because sharing is caring and everyone wants a FREE ride!
  • City regulations state it is ILLEGAL to provide gratuity to a driver. Please refrain.