Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Efergy Energy Monitor System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All -

Wanted a way to monitor the energy I pump into my Model S, so I purchased an energy monitor kit that includes an internet gateway so I can also monitor on the web and via an app for the iPhone. It's the Efergy E2 Engage hub system. Here's the kit:

EfergySystem.jpg

http://www.efergy.us/index.php/usa/products-usa/engagee2hub.html

I set up the system last night - was pretty easy. Attached the sensor "clamps" (2) to the 50 amp circuit leads for my Nema 14-50, synced the little wireless display unit and configured the internet gateway. Model S was already charged in Standard Mode, so I briefly set it to Range Mode and then watched the wireless display unit and the web site -- it works! The kWh measurement seemed almost dead on.

Will be watching it for the next week to see how it goes. The system lets you put in your energy cost, and will show you averages and history in kWh, cost and CO2. The system cost $176!

Aaron

Andrew

Yes - I'm aware of that system and may install one in the future, but it is quite a bit more expensive and the online component requires a subscription. For now, I wanted an inexpensive way to monitor just the power going to the car.

I do have a whole house monitor too - an EnergyHub system that communicates with my Con Edison meter's wireless signal (that they use to "read" meters). I also bought several EnergyHub modules to monitor (and turn off/on) several appliances in my home.

EnergyHub did for a short time sell these directly to the public, but now they don't and partner directly with energy utilities...

Aaron

EnergyHub Hardware:
EnergyHub.jpg

Energyhub Web Portal:
Screen Shot 2013-02-01 at 8.13.26 AM.png

Energyhub Graph - Here's the Model S Charging Yesterday:
Screen Shot 2013-02-01 at 8.15.28 AM.png

Hey Aaron,

I was checking out the efergy system already and when I saw your post I decided to for it...

A quick question, did you use the included XL Jack clamps on the #6 wire leading to your 14-50? Or did you order a set of the smaller "jackplugs" that are good up to 100A?

Hello All -

Wanted a way to monitor the energy I pump into my Model S, so I purchased an energy monitor kit that includes an internet gateway so I can also monitor on the web and via an app for the iPhone. It's the Efergy E2 Engage hub system. Here's the kit:

http://www.efergy.us/index.php/usa/products-usa/engagee2hub.html

I set up the system last night - was pretty easy. Attached the sensor "clamps" (2) to the 50 amp circuit leads for my Nema 14-50, synced the little wireless display unit and configured the internet gateway. Model S was already charged in Standard Mode, so I briefly set it to Range Mode and then watched the wireless display unit and the web site -- it works! The kWh measurement seemed almost dead on.

Will be watching it for the next week to see how it goes. The system lets you put in your energy cost, and will show you averages and history in kWh, cost and CO2. The system cost $176!

Aaron

mnx

Didn't even know they offered smaller plugs... Although the XL jacks are loose around the #6 wires coming out of the breaker (going to the nema 14-50) they seem to be working well. They register 0 when the car isn't charging and seems to be pretty accurate.... I wonder if the other plugs would be more accurate?

In any event I love the setup and love being able to see how much total energy is going into the car. Please keep us up to date with your progress!

Aaron

Last edited:
saw your earlier post about this system and it looks like just what i want to monitor just the power going to our 14-50 plug. was it a DIY for putting the connections over the wires for the 14-50 plug in your panel? thanks!

Yes it's a piece of cake to install.

Thanks for the reply Aaron. I also sent an e-mail to tech support, and they said the XL Jacks are fine and will measure current accurately on wire as small as #12.

Did you use the included batteries in the transmitter, or did you get an AC adapter? I'm using the batteries for now, but I'd like to hardwire it at some point.

mnx

Thanks for calling tech support.... Guess I won't order the smaller clips.

I am using just the batteries in the transmitter and the little display unit receiver. Seems to work well with a good range. The web gateway comes with a power supply.

Did you order it yet! The iPhone app is great too!

Aaron

Yeah I've got it installed. showing 0.00kW at the moment until my Model S comes home for the first time next Tuesday. :)

mnx

Thanks for calling tech support.... Guess I won't order the smaller clips.

I am using just the batteries in the transmitter and the little display unit receiver. Seems to work well with a good range. The web gateway comes with a power supply.

Did you order it yet! The iPhone app is great too!

Aaron

I bought this one:

Residential Energy Efficiency: Save on Air Conditioning, Heating, Electric Heat, and More

Same idea, but it supports monitoring multiple circuits.

I got that one as well about 6 weeks ago and have been monitoring all the circuits at my home. I'm very happy with it.

I have found half a dozen ways to save power, and also discovered a problem with charging the Model S. Seems that every 2nd or 3rd charge the charge current would periodically drop to 0 for 5-15 minutes and then resume charging. Tesla determined it was most likely a bad UMC and provided me a new one yesterday.

Seems that every 2nd or 3rd charge the charge current would periodically drop to 0 for 5-15 minutes and then resume charging. Tesla determined it was most likely a bad UMC and provided me a new one yesterday.
My S intermittently does the same, but usually only cuts out for a minute or two. I charge using an EVSE so it isn't my UMC. Here's a glitch I saw in the charging current today:

EV Monitor 02-09-13.JPG

Last edited:
Hey guys, did you compare the Efergy's results with what the car reports while charging ?

I'm having an issue where my Efergy monitor reports 24kW while charging @ 80amps on my HPWC.

According to their instructions, you can either :
-Connect both phases to the transmitter and set the voltage to 120V
-Connect only one phase to the transmitter and set the voltage to 240V

Which makes perfect sense as the CT measures current and the screen/engage platform multiplies that by the set voltage.

I've contacted them for support this morning but I'd to know if you guys can check your own setup.

40Amp charging on a Nema 14-50 should read around 9.6kW.
80Amp charging on the HPWC should read around 19.2kW

See this pic I snapped this morning :

IMG_20150410_084604.jpg
IMG_20150410_084621.jpg

My Klein reads 79.7amps. Car reads 80amps (rounded) and 233V. Since the Efergy does not know about the Voltage drop, I would expect 19.128kW (240V * 79.7A)... Not 24.35

Thanks Guys!

I bought one and installed it. Don't have the wireless hub, just the display... a couple of quick questions:

1) Amazon reviews of the wireless hub were not favorable... common complaint was that it dropped the connection. Has your hub been consistent in it's connection?
2) I only have a 50 amp, 240v circuit (single charger). I put one of the magnetic rings on one wire and the other magnetic ring on the second. I then set up the system as 240v on the efergy. Is this correct?

Thanks for the recommendation!

I bought one and installed it. Don't have the wireless hub, just the display... a couple of quick questions:

1) Amazon reviews of the wireless hub were not favorable... common complaint was that it dropped the connection. Has your hub been consistent in it's connection?
2) I only have a 50 amp, 240v circuit (single charger). I put one of the magnetic rings on one wire and the other magnetic ring on the second. I then set up the system as 240v on the efergy. Is this correct?

Thanks for the recommendation!

1) Did not have any issue with the hub but it's really close to the transmitter (4 feet away, behind a wall)
2) No, this is incorrect. If you put both rings, you must set the Voltage of each wire "Volt Above Ground" which is 120V in the US and Canada

Hey guys, did you compare the Efergy's results with what the car reports while charging ?

I'm having an issue where my Efergy monitor reports 24kW while charging @ 80amps on my HPWC.

According to their instructions, you can either :
-Connect both phases to the transmitter and set the voltage to 120V
-Connect only one phase to the transmitter and set the voltage to 240V

Which makes perfect sense as the CT measures current and the screen/engage platform multiplies that by the set voltage.

I've contacted them for support this morning but I'd to know if you guys can check your own setup.

40Amp charging on a Nema 14-50 should read around 9.6kW.
80Amp charging on the HPWC should read around 19.2kW

See this pic I snapped this morning :

View attachment 77527 View attachment 77528

My Klein reads 79.7amps. Car reads 80amps (rounded) and 233V. Since the Efergy does not know about the Voltage drop, I would expect 19.128kW (240V * 79.7A)... Not 24.35

Thanks Guys!

Does it report something different if you only use 1 CT loop @240V instead of 2? or are you using 1 already?

I can't think of a case where you'd end up with that much of an error. That's 100A @ 240V, too much to be any overhead. Perhaps the CT loop is too close to another conductor?

Does it report something different if you only use 1 CT loop @240V instead of 2? or are you using 1 already?

I can't think of a case where you'd end up with that much of an error. That's 100A @ 240V, too much to be any overhead. Perhaps the CT loop is too close to another conductor?

Pictures were taken with 1 CT Loop. Yesterday, I tried with 2 - setting voltage to 120V and the error is less pronounced (around 21.6kW reported) . Efergy tells me it might be related to the "power factor" but I don't feel this is the problem here... I'm not running big AC motor that shift the phase here...

The conductors are really close to one another... But since using both CT yield 50% of the error, my feeling is that I might have 1 defective CT.

I'll try it out tomorrow with one CT.. the 2nd one I have and check for errors.