Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Price delta between least $ config you'd be happy w' and your $-no-object config?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

anticitizen13.7

Not posting at TMC after 9/17/2018
Dec 22, 2012
United States
I'm interested in seeing what is the base level of configuration people would be happy with, and what they would buy if they could afford anything.

The least expensive configuration I would be satisfied with:
Model S (Standard)
Metallic paint, body color roof, 19" wheels, textile interior
60 kWh battery
Tech package
Active air suspension
Twin chargers
Supercharging
Sticker Price: $73,070 (w' Federal tax credit)

The 208-mile EPA range is far more than I need. Even in the worse conditions, where range is 66% of normal, that's 137 miles, which is still about 2x a very bad driving day for me. 70 miles is the most driving I've had to do in 1 day in the past 12 months. I would buy the Supercharging and Twin chargers for future-proofing, but I would skip the HPWC for now, because I don't have the necessary amps at home to power it.

If money were no object, I would buy:
Model S (Standard)
Metallic paint, body color roof, 21" wheels, textile interior <- I don't want leather interior, or a glass roof.
85 kWh battery (Supercharging included)
Tech Package
Sound Studio
Active air suspension
Parcel shelf
Twin chargers
Sticker Price: $85,770 (w' Federal tax credit)

The 21" wheels and Sound Studio would be cool to have, but I wouldn't lose any sleep if I didn't have them. My Honda Civic has a cheap 4-speaker setup, so the basic audio on the Model S is already a big upgrade, and I don't need storage space in the car for songs. I can stream music from my phone. The parcel shelf I don't really need either. Things I want to keep out of sight I'd put in the Frunk:cool:

$12,700 difference for me between my "base" configuration, and "money-no-object" configuration. The "base" configuration is actually nearly within my affordable range. I just want a car that is a bit smaller than the Model S, because I don't want to have to demolish and re-build my garage. It is too tight for comfort for the Model S.

Here I go using new pricing to easily get price:

Base:
40kWh
White
Textile Seats
Tech Package
Parcel Shelf

$65,070 (no shipping, pre tax)

What I got (I paid old pricing, this is new pricing):
85kWh
Pano Roof
Green
Textile Seats
Tech Package
Sound Upgrade
Air Suspension
Parcel Shelf

$89,770 (no shipping, pre tax)

What I would have gotten:
85kWh Performance
Pano Roof
Green (would have been Pearl White before seeing my Green car in person)
19" Rims (if $ was no object I would swap the tires the day I got the car)
Black Leather
Carbon Fiber dash
Tech Package
Sound Upgrade
Air Suspension
Parcel Shelf
Dual Chargers
HPWC

$105,970 (no shipping, pre tax)

So a delta of $40,090, and my actual configuration fits nicely in the middle.

The delta for me would be to get my exact car with the "performance" and multi-coat red box ticked.

85kWh
black exterior
air suspension
pano
tan leather
lacewood
single charger
19" wheels
tech package
sound studio

add the performance/multi-coat red and I would have the perfect car...which is funny because I find that I don't use the performance of the car currently. I mainly just putz around in traffic not being able to use the instant acceleration :(

Those two boxes would add ~$12,000 to my config though

I got the 85kWh for the extra performance and not the range so going with the 60kWh wasn't an option for me

That's an easy question. 0$

I hope I get to that point someday:smile:

Go with the 85KWH pack. Your mileage needs may change.

The 60 kWh pack already takes into account a possible increase in mileage needs. I could easily get by on a 40 kWh pack right now (I estimate the 40 kWh pack to be rated 140 EPA miles, and about 95 miles in worst-case scenarios).

I currently average less than 10 miles/day, and the vast majority of things I need a car for: commuting and shopping, are within a very small radius of my house. Few or none of the friends and family I see on a regular basis are outside of a 25-mile radius from my home. The 60 kWh pack is already overkill, and big enough that I never have to think about range. Of course, the 85 kWh battery is nicer, and provides a bit of a performance boost in addition to the extra range, but I wouldn't lose sleep if I had the 60 kWh instead of the 85 kWh pack. The bottom line is that I will probably buy the largest battery I can afford. Right now, the 60 kWh pack is a bit closer to my affordability range than the 85 kWh pack.

In all likelihood though, I will probably be a G3 Tesla customer. Competing demands on my financial resources means that although I could probably buy the $73k+ Model S (probably the real cost would be 85-86k after taxes and fees, and before the federal rebate), it would drain resources from everything else.

One can always dream though:smile: If I unexpectedly received a big fortune, I could buy the Model S and build the new garage!

Here's my options:
Option 1:
40kWh
Black
Textile Seats
Air Suspension
Parcel Shelf
$51,650 (old price, no shipping, after federal credit, pre tax)

Option 2:
60kWh
Black
Textile Seats
Air Suspension
Parcel Shelf
Supercharge
$63,650 (old price, no shipping, after federal credit, pre tax)

Option 3:
2013 Lexus IS 350
Estimate price $45,000 (pre tax)

argg.. I need to decide soon.. my finalize date will expire in a couple of weeks..

I built my office onto my home, so I really, really don't drive a lot. My Roadster is 18 months old and is about to hit 3400 miles (though our minivan gets some of my mileage when I'm taking the kids somewhere). Still, I probably drive less than 7000 miles a year. I could get by with a 40 KWh Model S and the tech package. Thankfully, I've been blessed with great success at work so I actually bought a fully-loaded MSP, about a $50K difference between the two.