Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC, enclosure available for outdoor use or buy outdoor charger from another company

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I need to install a charging point for our Model S in a rural location with no enclosed garage. What have others done in this scenario? We experience extreme outdoor temps. I am not sure if the HPWC is rated for outdoor use?

We are in Canada and are considering this product, which would seem to deliver 72 continuous amps, less than the 80 from the HPWC:

https://suncountryhighway.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/SCH_CS_Brochure.pdf

Any feedback welcome!

The SCH is a re-labeled Clipper Creek. Great unit, NEMA-4 rated so it's fine outdoors. It's J1772, so you could charge other cars on it too.

Tesla's HPWC is probably cheaper though, and it's also fine outdoors. See their specs HERE. However, it's still on backorder.

The SCH is a re-labeled Clipper Creek. Great unit, NEMA-4 rated so it's fine outdoors. It's J1772, so you could charge other cars on it too.

Tesla's HPWC is probably cheaper though, and it's also fine outdoors. See their specs HERE. However, it's still on backorder.

Okay, I am rather ignorant about charging when travelling but I assumed that no roadside unit would be able to provide more than 31 MPH even if my Model S had Twin Chargers.
Is my assumption incorrect?
I am planning on installing a 6-50 with the potential of either getting the HPWC later or not.

Model S Res. #13,967 (AR), non-perf, 85KWh, Pearl White, Black Leather, Piano Black, 19", Panoramic, Tech, Air Suspen,twin chargers

Okay, I am rather ignorant about charging when travelling but I assumed that no roadside unit would be able to provide more than 31 MPH even if my Model S had Twin Chargers.
There are some public chargers that can provide 70A. They are usually at locations that are 208V rather than 240V, but that would be 14.56kW (208*70). This would would use both chargers, since each can handle 10kW. You would get about 45 mph charge out of that. You can use something like Plugshare.com or Chargepoint.net (or their corresponding mobile app) to look up a charger to see if it's rated for 70A.

Is my assumption incorrect?

Depends on where you travel. Some areas have higher capacity chargers and some don't. My take is that at time goes on there will be more high capacity chargers, so the twin chargers will be more useful in year five than in year one (unless you're lucky and live in one of the areas where they are already installed).