Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lifetime Average Wh/mi

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GeekGirls

Kid in Candy Store
Dec 30, 2012
Seattle
I've enjoyed being able to keep an eye on my lifetime average energy use, as I haven't ever reset Trip B. After one month of ownership in California and around 1500 miles my average is 326Wh/mi. How are you faring?

I'd love to see a future firmware update that lets me use my trip meters for trips, but still provides access to my lifetime average. I'd also appreciate an automatic trip meter (one that resets when you exit the vehicle), and a per-driver meter.

383 Wh/mi here, 3300mi on the odo, 1.2MWh total consumed. (lots of local driving so far, not much on the freeways). The best part is the solar (which went online at the same time my Model S arrived) has generated 2.25MWh so far. All those miles are "free!"... :).

I second your request for lifetime wh/mi, lifetime energy, and per-driver meters. While they're doing trip meters, I do find "elapsed time" useful on my other cars.

/Mitch.

That's pretty good. I'm currently at 341Wh/mi (I also have never reset Trip B) down from ~344 when I reset Trip A on Jan. 1. For Jan. I'm at 339Wh/mi. I spent a lot of time playing and showing off the acceleration and just plain enjoying the acceleration in December. We had some unseasonably warm weather earlier this week and I was able to achieve numbers in the 250s by doing some hypermiling.

8431032368_0e192d235a_c.jpg
Various Tesla by efusco, on Flickr

My lifetime is around 370 Wh/mile, but it's steadily dropping as I give less and less test rides.

My best round trip was last weekend when I went for a drive to no where and back, and was able to average 270 Wh/mile for about 35 miles, and and this was with a 0-95mph on-ramp jaunt. Without it I probably would have been closer to 260 Wh/mile.

As a comparison, I can usually get about 220 Wh/mile with the wife's Volt.

Reactions: bselby01
IMG_0767.JPG

Reactions: seenhear
435 over 1600 miles. It's been chilly in Oregon in the 30s, but no where near Minnesota chilly. Not sure why my energy usage is so high.

I assume you have regen on? That does seem high. Do you go up many hills every day?

- - - Updated - - -

I've enjoyed being able to keep an eye on my lifetime average energy use, as I haven't ever reset Trip B. After one month of ownership in California and around 1500 miles my average is 326Wh/mi. How are you faring?

I'd love to see a future firmware update that lets me use my trip meters for trips, but still provides access to my lifetime average. I'd also appreciate an automatic trip meter (one that resets when you exit the vehicle), and a per-driver meter.

By the way, don't count on being able to keep track of this by relying on Trip B. When service checked something out in my car, they somehow reset the trip meters :-(

I'm getting about 375 watts / mile over >1800 miles.

It's high because I do two trips in the morning so the battery has to warm up twice and I typically have to run front and rear defroster for a while on the first trip.

I expect the number to drop as it gets warmer. I've seen 300-315 driving in warmer temps (~55-65). It'll be interesting to see if cooling in 80-90 degree temps is less power-hungry than warming in 30-45 degree temps.

435 over 1600 miles. It's been chilly in Oregon in the 30s, but no where near Minnesota chilly. Not sure why my energy usage is so high.

Mine is high (> 400) because of where I live. Every trip in my Model S starts and ends with a ~2 mi. trip over some hills, around a short group of turns, and by the time I make it to the state highway I've started at 600-800 Wh/mi. If, from there, I only go to the local town, I can't really recover it.

If I go to St. Louis (add 40 mi of highway driving) or so I can get it down to 325 Wh/mi or so.

Sounds like Tesla was a bit off in their 300 Wh/mile estimate:
And their calculator says it only uses 280 Wh per mile!

Depending on how, where, and when you drive it these numbers are quite achievable. I've finished my 28mi commute with an average of less than 280Wh/mi on numerous occasions. I've also given short test drives where I floor it and come to a stop again almost immediately. The EPA rated efficiency of the vehicle is around 320Wh/mi which is almost exactly what I'm getting on average. In January. Commuting over a mountain pass. Parking in a garage down a steep California driveway that starts every trip around 3000Wh/mi initially.

Honestly, I'm very, very happy. How many people achieve EPA ratings for their ICE vehicles with their lifetime average usage? I know I haven't. My Boxster S is rated at 19 mpg city but even when trying to drive her gently I can't do better than 15.

Last edited:
Reactions: Captainvideo