Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob cracking on top

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else having a problem with the key fob cracking on the center button? The top is cracking around the circular button below it. I've had the car for 3 months now and wouldn't think the fob would have problems so soon. I called customer experience and they said that the service center could take care of it. I plan on calling them today but wanted to see if anyone else seeing this?

-Joe

Is anyone else having a problem with the key fob cracking on the center button? The top is cracking around the circular button below it. I've had the car for 3 months now and wouldn't think the fob would have problems so soon. I called customer experience and they said that the service center could take care of it. I plan on calling them today but wanted to see if anyone else seeing this?

-Joe
Not cracking yet, but I can see the outline of the button below on mine.

It is funny this came up, as I was thinking the other day just how worn my keyfob was starting to look after just 2 months. It took years to get that much wear on my old Acura fob.

I can see that the buttons are showing and my fingernail catches on the edge where the buttons showing. I suspect it will crack soon based on your report. Something else for the list when I go in next time.

-Joe
Me too. I got my car in late September and started noticing the buttons eating through the plastic covering (creating the ring you described) by late December. I passed a picture of it along to ownership so that can look into in and hopefully improve future ones. They might replace the one I have too although it still works fine.

Me too. I got my car in late September and started noticing the buttons eating through the plastic covering (creating the ring you described) by late December. I passed a picture of it along to ownership so that can look into in and hopefully improve future ones. They might replace the one I have too although it still works fine.

No doubt this is a quality control issue with the key fob supplier. Or does Tesla make its own? In any case I'm sure Tesla will address this issue.

Here's a picture. I knew that fancy macro lens I bought but never use would come in handy at some point.

_85C4087.jpg

Speaking of the fob, wasn't there talk at some point of the key fob matching the exterior color of the car? Or did I dream that?

Maybe they can change suppliers and pick one that is capable of doing multi colors.
My recollection is...

1. Color-matched keyfob was a "forum hope" that maybe became a rumor, rather than something Tesla suggested or promised.
2. Color-matched HPWC was something publicly stated by Tesla that was later changed to "silver for all" initially through "just pictures" and later officially confirmed at one of the stores.

Well... kinda depends on the usage of the fob. My wife and I rarely use the buttons so our fobs are looking just fine.
I kind of wish there was a gesture or something that can be done outside the vehicle (with fob in pocket) that acts as a request to immediately lock. With that, I'd never need to pull the fob out of my pocket (since I basically never use the frunk).

I kind of wish there was a gesture or something that can be done outside the vehicle (with fob in pocket) that acts as a request to immediately lock. With that, I'd never need to pull the fob out of my pocket (since I basically never use the frunk).

*hop, turn, take one step left, bend down, clap, get up, clap, turn and walk away*

_____
Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.

Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, B, A, Start! ;)

BTW, I have had the car since Oct. 30th and have had no issues with the key fob (and I just got 4.2 last week, so have been using it frequently to lock and unlock the doors). No scratches, no visibility of the buttons etc. So it's probably dependent on usage to some extent.

On our Toyota iQ there is a small area on the handle, maybe half a square inch, just swipe your finger gently over it and it locks the doors.

Maybe the Tesla should have a similar area on the front side of the front handles. Short swipe, lock.
Walk away. Still lock some seconds later.

_____
Tapatalkin' from iTalatut.

Speaking of the fob, wasn't there talk at some point of the key fob matching the exterior color of the car? Or did I dream that?

Maybe they can change suppliers and pick one that is capable of doing multi colors.
Given the wear-and-tear on the fob, perhaps we find someone to do vinyl wraps? (only half-joking)

- - - Updated - - -

On our Toyota iQ there is a small area on the handle, maybe half a square inch, just swipe your finger gently over it and it locks the doors.

Maybe the Tesla should have a similar area on the front side of the front handles. Short swipe, lock.
Walk away. Still lock some seconds later.
Given that the handles have a pressure gauge (to open them), could a gentle inward push on an open handle send a message to retract the handle and lock the car?

-Joe

I noticed the circle outline of the top button last week and today when I went to press the top button, I noticed that the whole plastic circle came off showing the button underneath. I assume they would replace this so I will just take it in next time. It does look kind of cool though so maybe I will keep it.
photo.JPG.jpeg