Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 kWh 0-60mph time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

If I trust the display in the car, I get a 0-60 mph time of 5.4 seconds on the Model S 60 kWh battery under ideal conditions (flat/straight road, dry road/no rain, no passengers, 4.2 firmware)

Start

Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 11.31.44 PM.png

End

Screen Shot 2013-01-29 at 11.31.54 PM.png

I honestly think the S60 is every bit as fast as the S85.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I trust the display in the car, I get a 0-60 mph time of 5.4 seconds on the Model S 60 kWh battery under ideal conditions (flat/straight road, dry road/no rain, no passengers, 4.2 firmware)

I honestly think the S60 is every bit as fast as the S85.

@Hans - what was the SOC when you started the test? One of the threads for the performance version noticed a slight improvement with a fully charged system....

also, @StephRob just posted that they picked up their second MS ( a 60kWh), and her perception is that the 60 is more energy efficient than their P85 with 21" wheels. See quote:

I took delivery of my 60 kWh Model S at the factory today. It was actually ready a week ago but couldn't get there until today. VIN 3730 Already I can tell the energy usage is noticeably lower than my husband's 85 kWh Model S due to the lighter weight and possibly also the 19" wheels vs his 21".​

Link to post: First 60kWH delivery notice or email - who will it be? - Page 48

Will be interesting to see the comparison.

The 60KWh might likely become the best "bang for your buck" Model S. 5.6 sec is a very respectable 0-60 time for any large sedan. In reality anything in the 6 second range for normal day to day driving is going to seem like a "fast" car to the average human. The 40KWh S's will embarrass any Prius, Leaf or Volt and certainly has much better styling and features.

@Hans - what was the SOC when you started the test? One of the threads for the performance version noticed a slight improvement with a fully charged system....

According to the dash it looks like the car had 158 rated miles left. It had 187 in the morning and I drove it to work and back before the test. I didn't want to run a time in the morning because the battery was cold enough that regen was limited.

also, @StephRob just posted that they picked up their second MS ( a 60kWh), and her perception is that the 60 is more energy efficient than their P85 with 21" wheels. See quote:
I took delivery of my 60 kWh Model S at the factory today. It was actually ready a week ago but couldn't get there until today. VIN 3730 Already I can tell the energy usage is noticeably lower than my husband's 85 kWh Model S due to the lighter weight and possibly also the 19" wheels vs his 21".​

I find energy efficiency comparisons hard to believe in anything but very controlled circumstances. Their are just too many variables. It makes sence that a car that it 183lbs lighter is more efficient. My car has 21" wheels so I can't comment about their effects other than that they look way-cool, and I am forever worried I am going to scrape them on a curb.

The speedometer might be reading a mile or so high as compared to actual (60mph vs true 59mph). At least on my S, the speedometer reads a mile faster than the road radar units I pass on the highway. Still very impressive.

If so, then it's still 0-60 in 5.6 seconds. I can post a video if my GPS speedo vs the Dashboard speedo. I seem to remember it being spot on but I could be off by a bit.

0to61.png

The speedometer might be reading a mile or so high as compared to actual (60mph vs true 59mph). At least on my S, the speedometer reads a mile faster than the road radar units I pass on the highway. Still very impressive.

Not too bad. On cruise control set at 60mph I snapped a half dozen photos and the hi/lo range was 59.3 - 60.4 mph. It's no more than 1 mph off.

8430252763_34485b2c6e_z.jpg
8430252133_09e334b89c_z.jpg

The 60KWh might likely become the best "bang for your buck" Model S. 5.6 sec is a very respectable 0-60 time for any large sedan.

It's a very respectable 0-60 time for any car, period. My prior car was a 2009 BMW 335ci convertible with the twin-turbo 300HP / 300 lb-ft engine in it and the sport package as well. It impressed all normal people who got anywhere near it, and yet "only" clocked 5.9 in the 0-60 sprint. Going to a manual transmission would have made it quicker, but only down to 5.7 according to BMW. Lots of other examples I could give, but you get the point.