Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Scary range anxiety day!

P03056
    Blog Entries
    Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by Jgdixon View Post
    Liz
    You should have asked to charge at the shop! I've even stopped at Toronto service for a charge when not booked in for service. You'd think they would have offered.
    Had it been a Tesla shop I would have but it was a 3rd party shop and I didn't have my UMC...which leads to another rule.

13. Always have your UMC in the car
    14. Always plug in when you can.

Range Extender -

Name:  S-range_extender.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  309.9 KB

$55-US for both @ WalMart.

> The only "accessory" that has any significant impact is the cabin heater. [Doug_S]

Blog Entries
    LOL - I've used that "range extender technology" in my Roadster. The Model S with its extra range and "Range Mode" has so far been able to keep me comfortable without resorting to that!
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

For my 2nd trip to the city in the S, 180 miles total, I decided to forego cabin/seat heat since it was a mostly sunny day. Indeed there was solar gain thru the windows, but I suspect the glass all around is the 0.32 factor IR-rejecting kind. Enough gain to keep the dog & my upper body warm, but the legs & feet were cool. Not enough to cause shivering but it took the long walk across the WalMart lot & more inside to normalize. So I grabbed the leggings & muklucks to keep in the S at all times.

Roadster: need the leggings as well as heated boots, if such even exist. And the cabin insulation/soundproofing upgrade.
    --

Blog Entries
    Seriously, NEVER hesitate to use the seat heater! It has NO measurable effect on your range.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

Awesome I was laughing in my chair but wife just didn't get it, even when I tried to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by wycolo View Post
    Range Extender -

Name:  S-range_extender.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  309.9 KB

$55-US for both @ WalMart.

> The only "accessory" that has any significant impact is the cabin heater. [Doug_S]

Quote Originally Posted by stevezzzz View Post
    By "charging opportunity", I don't mean you have to stop at every L1 charger you happen to pass along the way: it refers to those times when the car is sitting idle within reach of a charger and all you have to do is plug it in.
    What we saw today is that a 110V/12A did little to nothing to increase range for at least 2 hours of being plugged in when temps are -15C or below. In retrospect it might have been better for us to just get in the car and drive rather than wait the 2-3 hours with the car sitting idle, cold weather and slow charge fighting to come out on top. I also think it may be sensible for Tesla to state that the 110V/12A option is useless below a certain temperature. We'll certainly rethink any trips into sub zero that don't have at least a 30-40A charging point available.

It's about THIS car. Al Sherman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevezzzz View Post
    I agree with you, Al. My aim was not to complicate anyone's planning exercises, but to give people different tools to use when thinking about what it means to drive an EV. When you start with a baseline of decades of ICE experience (400+ miles range, 10 minute fill-ups any place you want), it's useful to have a little help making the conversion to EV-think.
    No question. When your reserves are augmented anywhere (ICE gas stations) you really have never worried about reserves. You need gas, you get gas. Much different thought process for excess range trips in an EV. I definitely see where you're going. AND, as a lifelong aviator without a glider rating, I lobed the insight into the thought process. I actually read it over two or three times. Very interesting.
    Al Sherman Model S/P14,835 Model X/P1950 (for the wife)
    Retired Aviator VIN: 6283 Delivery 3/12/13

Sig S#118; R#770 (ret.) stevezzzz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by colinb View Post
    What we saw today is that a 110V/12A did little to nothing to increase range for at least 2 hours of being plugged in when temps are -15C or below. In retrospect it might have been better for us to just get in the car and drive rather than wait the 2-3 hours with the car sitting idle, cold weather and slow charge fighting to come out on top. I also think it may be sensible for Tesla to state that the 110V/12A option is useless below a certain temperature. We'll certainly rethink any trips into sub zero that don't have at least a 30-40A charging point available.
    If you stopped expressly to plug in, I agree it probably did little or nothing to extend your range. OTOH, if you had to stop for another reason, plugging in certainly helped you to avoid a loss of range due cold temps and pack heating.

Thread Information