Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did not order the panoramic roof. Big mistake???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't order the panoramic roof and am wondering if that's a big enough mistake to try to put In a change.

My thinking was that I usually drive with my sunroof cover closed due to cold in the winter and because of noise. We have cold winters and hit summers. I had nothing but problems with my BMW 525xi sunroof. I was never satisfied with the noise level either.

Plus my $50,000 car was already pushing near $80,000 and I didn't want to go another $1,500.

In any event, have I made a grave mistake? And even if I have, what's the chances of a change now?

In any event, have I made a grave mistake?

27748752.jpg

I didn't purchase a pano roof either. After 2 and 1/2 months, I don't regret it at all. Of course I don't use pano roofs and never will. I have hated it when riding in other people's cars and they open those roofs. We have a Roadster and the hard top is always on.

I have not purchased sunroofs in the past 100% due to wind noise. They let in a lot more noise, and I have always had a bicycle rack on the top of my car producing a good bit of noise. Together they put a lot of noise into the cabin.

I also drive windows down about 95% of the time when the temperature is above 75F. And in Atlanta that is about 8 months out of the year. So I finally got the sunroof to open with all my windows for the spring and summer.

I don't think passing on the roof is a mistake at all. Just preference. I finally got one because I finally have a car big enough to easily and properly store 2 bicycles inside. No need for the rack to reside on top of the car.

And well the panoramic roof comes with roof rack mount points, and the standard roof doesn't. So that was a little nudge towards the glass in my case also.

Which reminds me: I need to figure out a way to keep the rear seat belts from flapping with all windows down. And I wonder if anyone has put a roof rack on top of the car yet?

I almost never open it but it is nice. I think you are fine without it. It's still a great car. As long as rear headroom isn't an issue as was said you are fine. If you already finalized you can't change it so wouldn't worry about it. Good luck.

I don't think the pano roof makes that much difference for the driver since you have to look practically straight up to take advantage of it. Nice view from the rear seat though. As ElSupreme mentioned, the non-pano roof version will be much quieter. I think you should stick with your first instincts and be happy with what you ordered.

We got the Pano roof and frankly I wish we had not.
More weight and poorer aerodynamics makes for less range (probably only by a little bit).
And being in Minnesota, we really don't have any use for it half the year.

However, I am also planning to show the car at any event that will have me and it does show very well.
It is very well built, no noise that I have noticed.
And it does add a little bit to the headroom in the back.

We did not order the panoramic roof and I do not regret it. I have found that we have not used the sunroofs in our other cars. We own a convertible ICE. I am 6' 3" and I never sit in the back seat.

I did not order the panoramic roof on my Signature Model S.

When I test drove the car, I could not see the roof from the front seats unless I craned my neck to look straight up.
I am 5'11" and the rear seat headroom is fine - I don't plan to sit back there much anyway.
My kids are 1 and 6 and I don't think headroom will be an issue for them either.
So I didn't care either way, except for the fact that I live in Seattle. In Seattle it is rainy and gray 11 months of the year, thus the only function the panoramic roof would have would be to increase the noise of the rain hitting the glass.
Maybe I will feel different in august when we get our 1 month of summer, but I doubt it.

I have a Roadster and I take the top off whenever it is sunny and not freezing cold but the best thing about taking the top off is that it is easier to get into and out of.
One of the best advantages the Model S has over the Roadster is that it is quiet, and I wouldn't be opening the sunroof to add wind noise and ruin that.

Like any sun roof ... Past 50 mph the noise is too much for me but other wise a key design feature and worth it for resale IMO.

I decided a long time ago to never let resale override my preferences - I'd only consider it as a tiebreaker.
Potential future buyer of my Model S who gets to save a few bucks at my expense because it doesn't have the pano roof - you are welcome.

No regrets. I opted out on the pano roof and had the car for 2 months. I don't miss it and I'm glad that I don't have to give a thought to light, heat, cold, noise, acoustics or future malfunctions.

I like the splash of color on top of the car too. Rear passengers are infrequent but they didn't think that the roof was low. That was my only hesitiation. Needless worry on my part.

I wouldn't give another thought about going pano-free it unless I lived in Hawaii or someplace similar where the temperature is always moderate and the speeds are slow most of the time.

okay be honest people - does the pano roof really make that much more noise? or is that something non-pano roof people tell themselves to assuage their buyers remorse?

I can tell you in VW/Audi vehicles it does make a noticeable difference. I haven't ridden in a Model S without a pano roof though. Glass is not a good sound insulator at all. It is very rigid (read doesn't dampen vibration) and thin. And without a foam screen there is nothing to assist with sound dampening.

I liked the sunroof just for the extra light that it lets in. However as my "price creep" started taking effect when selecting options, I sacrificed the sunroof just to save a few bucks and enable me to get the performance package. :)

No regrets so far. Although it's probably a case of not knowing what I'm missing. Only my kids have ridden in the back so far, and no complaints there.

I have a pano roof on mine and the car is dead silent at highway speeds. I can't imagine how quiet a non-pano car would be if mine is that quiet. I also love the extra sunlight and I gave up a S2000 to get the MS so getting the pano was a "trade off" of sorts to help me not miss the vert that much.

Today is a random nice day in Northern VA and the temp is around ~62 deg F. I just popped the top on the way to the gym for lunch and it was very nice to get the breeze and sun. With that being said a pano-roof and highway speeds don't mix. Way too much noise with the top open for my tastes.