Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funky Turn Signal & Mouse Flatulence

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I managed to catch my intermittent, funky turn signal on video just now as I was running an errand over lunch. This is a problem I've had since delivery (1.19.31) through my current version (1.19.42). It does not always occur. In this particular example, I noticed it pulling into a parking space but shot the video while in park.

In this video, I've got the turn signal stalk in the full up (right turn) position. I'm not holding the stalk or touching it at all. What you can't hear in the video (I don't think) is that every time the turn signal "changed rhythms", I heard a faint squeaking noise--like some air being let out of a balloon with the opening stretched--or like a little mouse fart.

I'll contact Tesla service about this. Just curious if you all had any theories. I was thinking software issue, but today is the first time I heard the mouse fart, which is now making me think it might be hardware-related.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks to me like the processor is overloaded, and you're getting all kinds of latency. Did you try rebooting the console (press and hold both upper steering wheel buttons for ten seconds)?

I've never seen this, so it makes me wonder if there might be a hardware issue at work - something causing too many interrupts and overloading the processor. (Famously this scenario happened during the Apollo 11 moon landing.)

Looks to me like the processor is overloaded, and you're getting all kinds of latency. Did you try rebooting the console (press and hold both upper steering wheel buttons for ten seconds)?

I've never seen this, so it makes me wonder if there might be a hardware issue at work - something causing too many interrupts and overloading the processor.

Yes, rebooting has never completely solved it, but like I said it's fairly intermittent--doesn't happen all the time. I was in park, not navigating, no energy graph updating--you can see I stopped the music--shouldn't have been much going on. I suppose what I failed to check is whether a reboot of the console when this happened today immediately fixed it. I'll keep experimenting--but the mouse fart now has me scratching my head.

I have had the same issue since delivery but I have not noticed a noise before ... next time it happens I will make sure to turn down the music and see if I can hear anything.

I have sent video of mine to service and they are going to be in my area in the next few weeks. I will let you know if they find anything out but their guess so far has been software.

I have sent video of mine to service and they are going to be in my area in the next few weeks. I will let you know if they find anything out but their guess so far has been software.

If you notice it happening, pull over, put the car in park, and mute the music. That's the only way I heard it. Actually, I didn't hear it until I was actually recording this video and muted the music.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe Todd's car simply was keeping time to the song in the background?

That's close to my number 1 useless but cool feature request--could use beat detection--but the actual lights would have to flicker at a boring even rhythm :(.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, I have absolutely no valuable insight, or input, but I'd like to nominate this thread for the most awesome title ever. Thanks Todd :)

Haha thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I plan on calling them on the way home. I'll have to dial manually from my phone though, since the onboard contact list doesn't currently list custom tags for phone numbers :). I've got one called "Ownership", one called "Roadside Assistance" in my iPhone's contact list, but they all come in as general numbers under Tesla Motors--completely untagged. Low priority, I know!

If you notice it happening, pull over, put the car in park, and mute the music. That's the only way I heard it. Actually, I didn't hear it until I was actually recording this video and muted the music.

That's close to my number 1 useless but cool feature request--could use beat detection--but the actual lights would have to flicker at a boring even rhythm :(.

Next time I notice it I will do that.

On a side note with your beat request, the car does flash the external light in the same odd way the indicator is. The first time I noticed it happening I did because I saw the reflection in the car in front of me. So just find a song that matches the odd behavior and there you go. :tongue:

I'm a reservation holder in NJ. Test drove the car at the Short Hills store and noticed the same funky turn signal timing issue. The salesperson at first claimed not to notice it, but he finally understood, although he didn't see it as a "bug". I would bet it's a software bug.

At least for me it does effect the outside lights. It creates a sort of double blink pause effect.

I checked the actual light outside while this was happening and it seemed to blink evenly--so a display issue only.

Well that's interesting...would have said, "who cares" if it's just a minor display issue, but if it is related to the outside light blinking too, I'd consider that a more serious (potentially) issue.

Yup, I've had this bug since day one of delivery back in late October, and it's survived two different software upgrades (as of today, I'm on 4.2). I've narrowed it down slightly... through experimentation, I realized that it only happens when my headlights are OFF (DRL and other lighting options don't affect it one way or another). After I figured that out, I can reproduce it VERY reliably. I had the car into the shop once for another issue, but they couldn't reproduce this problem at that time (I didn't know to turn the headlights off to force it). I've been meaning to take it back.

I can verify that the problem is not just cosmetic on the instrument panel display, but also occurs on the turn signal lights themselves (looking at my reflection from other cars). As a point of trivia, it's also reflected on the controls dialog window that shows a picture of the car's current external lighting.

I would describe the sound as like a very soft distant "mew" of a kitten. It's extremely quiet, I can only hear it with the music off and driving relatively slowly (or stopped). It sounds very electronic to me, like a capacitor charging or discharging or something.

I've narrowed it down slightly... through experimentation, I realized that it only happens when my headlights are OFF (DRL and other lighting options don't affect it one way or another). After I figured that out, I can reproduce it VERY reliably.

I will try this process on my way home to see if that works for reproducing it for me.

---update---

I can confirm that this process worked for me to reproduce the issue after about 2-3 times turning the right blinker on it started and I was able to hear the sound. I will be sure to point this out to the ranger when they are here in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Yup, I've had this bug since day one of delivery back in late October, and it's survived two different software upgrades (as of today, I'm on 4.2). I've narrowed it down slightly... through experimentation, I realized that it only happens when my headlights are OFF (DRL and other lighting options don't affect it one way or another). After I figured that out, I can reproduce it VERY reliably. I had the car into the shop once for another issue, but they couldn't reproduce this problem at that time (I didn't know to turn the headlights off to force it). I've been meaning to take it back.

Awesome. I'll give this a try in the morning and see if I can reproduce. Does it only occur with the right hand turn signal for those of you noticing this issue?

Gave it a test this morning:

First time I tried, I turned off the headlights and put on the right turn signal: the problem showed up immediately. I turned the headlights on and it immediately went away. So I can confirm that the headlights being on has SOMETHING to do with it.

About 20 minutes later, I tried again--this time, it worked properly, even though headlights were off.

Tried again about 20 minutes later, and the problem showed up again.

Tried again about 2 minutes later, and it worked fine. Headlights were off in every case.

So it doesn't seem to be perfectly repeatable, but the headlights do seem to be involved.

Another thing I verified is that the blinker light itself is in fact intermittent, just like the display. I didn't notice this earlier (although I only checked the REAR turn signal last time..so maybe it's only the fronts for me, or I just didn't see it last time).

BTW, I called Tesla ownership Monday afternoon to report this. The Tesla guy on the other end tried calling the D.C. service center--he said there was no answer. He told me he'd leave a message for them to call me back.

Now it's Wednesday morning--still no callback. I guess I'll call again this afternoon.