Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S World's Quickest EV + Model S vs Viper SRT10 Drag Race

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for this link! I just love seeing these videos, first it was the M5 (OK, that one was tight, the MSP won 2 out of 3 drags and there is some debate as to whether launch controll was corrently applied), then came the (your @fiksegts!) beat-down of the E63 AMG and now we have this. On the dragtimes.com website it says more is to come...

Whenever someone sceptically asks me about the car and especially why I would pay so much for the Performance, I just show them these videos and their jaws mostly drop (if they know anything about cars that is).

Nice. I am anxious to get mine to the drag strip once the season opens here. I'm curious why they are getting better results with more charge in the battery pack:

"After 3 hours the car was fully charged and we made another pass running 12.371 @ 110.84 MPH which was backed up by a few 12.4x passes. We’re not sure if the increase in performance is due a full battery or having the car cooled down, comments from electron buffs on this?"

Nice. I am anxious to get mine to the drag strip once the season opens here. I'm curious why they are getting better results with more charge in the battery pack:

"After 3 hours the car was fully charged and we made another pass running 12.371 @ 110.84 MPH which was backed up by a few 12.4x passes. We’re not sure if the increase in performance is due a full battery or having the car cooled down, comments from electron buffs on this?"

Power=W=V*A right? I think Amperage is limited by the wiring from battery to motor (and inverter) and the motor it self, all of which is beefed up in the performance v.s. regular 85kWh. The battery is the same. Now, Voltage in the battery as a whole is slightly higher when fully charged, and even more so with a range charge. This coupled with alll of the drivetrain components being cold (i.e. not heated from previous runs) will probably give the best drag performance.

The Viper ran 12.2 @ 115 MPH vs the Model S.... either way, the video clearly shows the Model S pulling away on the low end, up top it's a different story...

Before we all get *too* excited, my understanding from a racing friend (and brief internet search) is that the 2005 Viper does not have traction control.

Still--pretty effin' impressive. And Tesla has nowhere to go but up. Way, way up.

Before we all get *too* excited, my understanding from a racing friend (and brief internet search) is that the 2005 Viper does not have traction control.

Still--pretty effin' impressive. And Tesla has nowhere to go but up. Way, way up.

I was more impressed with the actual time posted by the MS Performance more so than the beating of the Viper. There are so many factors when it comes to head-to-head racing (most of which is driver) but actual numbers don't lie.

I used to run my cars at the local race tracks in VA (VIR, Summit Point, etc.) and as fun as it would be to say that I waxed a Corvette Z06 or Maserati it was all driver. Not to mention that I was absolutely beat up by a spec Miata that was very well driven (I was driving a Evo VIII).