Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Transferring Previous Plates When Registering Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure this will vary by state. On my previous car purchases, the dealership usually handles plate transfer and any paper work. Did Tesla do this when you received your Model S?

No. As best as I can tell, everybody gets a temp tag. I'm on my second temp tag, because the first one expired. I gave Tesla the info on my old plate weeks before my car was delivered. Yet, the old plate has been sitting on my shelf since a week before the Model S was delivered (6 weeks now).

I am sure this will vary by state. On my previous car purchases, the dealership usually handles plate transfer and any paper work. Did Tesla do this when you received your Model S?

Yes, Tesla is transferring my tags for me. I'm in MD, and I haven't received final confirmation from the state showing that everything has completed yet though...

Peter

@bluetinc - be careful to not cancel insurance on your old car that had those tags before you have confirmation of the transfer. I did this and it caused headaches for the MD MVA. They put a "hold" on my tags since from their perspective I still have the tags on the old car and was just driving without insurance. The carriers notify the MVA when you cancel.

Very honestly, I hear of these registration headaches all over the place, and I think that Tesla would do well to offer another option: the ability to collect the MSO/MCO (certificate/statement of origin) and do the DMV work yourself.