Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panoramic Roof - No Sun Shade Needed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that we have a good number of Model S owners on the forum, can some of you weigh in on whether or not the Pano Roof needs a sun shade? Around this time last year I remember reading complaints that the Pano Roof needed a sun shade and Tesla insisting that the tinting would be more than adequate. What say you? Is Tesla right, or does it need a shade after all.

I am surprised to be able to report that I'm happy without the shade.

I concur. Sunshade definitely not needed. I've had my car 3 weeks and haven't even thought about it. Also during the Get Amped event here in Texas this summer with beaming sun and 100+ degrees the pano roof worked perfectly. The car was very comfortable and nearly all of the heat was blocked.

Last edited:
I'm happy without the shade in South Georgia even in the mid-day when it is 80+ outside. Sometime the reflection in the center screen bothers me. That's all. Have to see when it is 95 or 100+ outside in the summer. Hope it should be fine.

+1 :). The pano roof seems great from a light perspective. It's probably good from a heat perspective. I suspect Tesla did testing in Majove or someplace sunny and hot. But we won't know for sure until we get real customer miles in the summer. Unless someone's got an S in the Southern hemisphere :).

Living in Miami I need the sunroof shade... When I park my car outside in the sun and I come back I feel the heat on my head and it is not even 85 degrees here yet. I dont want to think how it will be when it is 98 degrees.

So definitely I do need the sunroof shade

Sorry to disagree with the current majority, but living in Las Vegas, and having driven only Lexus, Mercedes, and BMW for 20 years, I expect a quality sunshade for both front and back pano panels, which block 100% of the light, and also provide a certain amount of thermal and noise insulation, like ALL the others provide.

If owners don't want it, they don't need to take the upgrade, but I expect and demand it.

Sorry to disagree with the current majority, but living in Las Vegas, and having driven only Lexus, Mercedes, and BMW for 20 years, I expect a quality sunshade for both front and back pano panels, which block 100% of the light, and also provide a certain amount of thermal and noise insulation, like ALL the others provide.

If owners don't want it, they don't need to take the upgrade, but I expect and demand it.
I think you're a bit off topic. I thought (from reading and rereading the OP) this thread was to gather data from folks that have actually experienced the extremes in the vehicle without the shade. Not "people that think they want it without having the vehicle to find out first". ;)

Frankrb,

like Brianman stated this is more about querying people who don't have the shade. If you do a search there was a large vocal group like you that also "demanded" the shade. If I can find the thread, it was quite vocal, especially amongst the people in the hot south.

Surprisingly enough, most report that they don't need it due to the way the pano blocks light/heat.