Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Door Won't Open!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got my Tesla S Performance and was so excited to show it off to as many people as possible. However I was incredibly embarrassed and frustrated when my left rear door would not open. To clarify, the door handle extends properly but I pulled on the door lightly and then firmly and the door still wouldn't open. Did a reboot and still had the problem. The strangest thing is that perhaps one out of every 20 times I try to open the door (on separate occasions), it works! But the vast majority of the time it's as if it's not getting the signal that someone is trying to open the door. I had to manually open the door with the release inside the car once (again, embarrassing). There is not a service center in North Carolina yet (scheduled to be ready in March) but they said the ranger will be up and running in this area soon and they will call me when he can make a visit. It's been a week and it's frustrating to say the least. Everything else about the car is nothing short of amazing though! Anyone else with similar problems?

Do you have 4.2 (1.19.42) installed? I had problems with this exact door. It only worked randomly. I did the update and it hasn't failed to work. The door seemed to get better (before my update) the more times I got it to work. But it seems that the handles are problematic. So you may need a new one.

I had that problem on delivery day with both driver side doors. If you hold the top of your key fob down for 3+ seconds it rolls all of the windows down. You can then open the doors from the inside.

The problem went away with a software update. It has not returned.

Where is that feature documented and was it recently implemented? Doesn't show in the Tesla Manual. And it also works if you press and hold the trunk end of the FOB. Near as I can tell, there is no action that will roll the windows back up.

It's not a new feature and it's documented in the manual on page 2, Using Your Key, where it talks about using the top switch of the key fob: "Double-click to unlock doors (lights flash twice and handles extend). Single-click to lock doors and the trunks (lights flash once and handles retract). Press and hold to lower all windows." You're right, there's no way to roll the windows back up with the fob.

Better not to put your fob in a back pocket of your jeans, though: I did that during the first week I owned the S and came back to the car after dining in a restaurant to find all the windows wide open.

I had the same problem front passenger door. I pulled the fuse for that door, started the car, locked it, unlocked it, turned the car off and replaced the fuse. Problem solved.

My wife hates it when I don't hit the unlock button fast enough when she's standing there. I can only imagine her response if I had to go through this process to let her in the car :smile:

My wife hates it when I don't hit the unlock button fast enough when she's standing there. I can only imagine her response if I had to go through this process to let her in the car :smile:

Maybe the hatch would unlock quicker as you approached. Then she could jump in and clamber over the seats. You would of course close the hatch.
--

Update: So Tesla sent a ranger a while back who fixed the door right in my garage. No problems, works great. HOWEVER, yesterday my passenger door started having the same problem. This is incredibly frustrating. Looks like another bad pressure sensor but I don't know why it would stop working all of the sudden. Now with it being the front passenger door it's even more of a problem. Will be calling Tesla in the morning to get this fixed...again. Other than these door handle issues, the car has been amazing.