Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

plugin cooler

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several models of these plug-in coolers also feature cupholders, which is nice for the rear passengers. I was considering getting one also, though I was wary about the impact of the 12V load on range. On the one hand, the draw is probable miniscule compared to the Wh/mi used to power the car, but on the other hand, Tesla has been noticeably parsimonious with features that would have provided additional electrical draw (lighted mirrors, additional 12V and USB jacks in the read, power folding mirrors, heated rear seats, to name a few).

We really need at least one 12V power port in both the trunk and the frunk.

Yeah, for an electric vehicle, I am a bit surprised at the lack of electrical outlets. A few years ago, I had an SUV with three 12v outlets on the dash (actually two plus a cigarette lighter) one in the second row area and one in the cargo area. Even my little Pontiac Vibe has 12v outlets and a 120v outlet on the dash.

I particularly like cargo area outlets for things like electric coolers and to plug 12v tire pumps into.

That sounds like an RV! Seriously though, what on earth was the point of all those?

I actually saw a newer version of that SUV a couple of years later, and they had toned down the number on the front dash to one.

This was before ubiquitous USB and I had a work BlackBerry and a personal Windows Mobile phone, so I kept both of those front ports occupied with charger cables. I used the lighter to sometimes plug my MP3 player's charger into. I used the one in the cargo area from time to time for the Coolatron, and occasionally the kids would want to plug something in to the back seat.

Even my past Cadillac CTS had a 12v outlet in the back seat as well as one on the dash and one in the center console (plus USB in the center console).