Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pics: Model S w/ Lightweight Aftermarket Wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nrcooled

P#8946 VIN 03225
May 22, 2012
NoVA
I went out and picked up some lightweight aftermarket wheels for the Model S. I am hoping to get some range/performance benefits from saving ~8lbs per corner.

Specs:
Enkei Raijin
19x8.5
+38 offset
23.1 lbs each (stock is 30.5 lbs)

I got them from tirerack.com and they provided center bore rings and lug nuts. The TPMS sensors fit on the new wheels just fine. Tirerack does not yet sell aftermarket TMPS sensors for the car yet so you will need to reuse your stock ones or buy a set directly from Tesla. I plan to use my stock wheels for winter rubber.

Here are the pics:

img09961024.jpg

img09951024.jpg

img09901024.jpg

img09891024.jpg

I don't have any driving impressions or range information since it promptly snowed after getting the wheels mounted. I have been driving an ICE SUV for the last couple of days.

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad we have some "explorers of aftermarket" on the forum. In 8 years, I'll probably be scouting for one or more of the aftermarket options.

I have always been a big fan of the aftermarket. The OEMs are limited in some ways. Mainly, they have to please the masses and, at the same time, keep costs reasonable. The aftermarket isn't limited by those constraints and hopefully the MS will be wildly successful and will see a lot of support.

From aftermarket battery replacement options to motor replacement options, the MS community will only benefit from it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I wonder if range might be negatively affected by the more open, less aerodynamic profile of those rims? I guess we'll find out.

I did consider this in my purchase. I think it may be offset some by the fact that, while I love flush fitting wheels (wheels which are flush with the fender), it introduces more aerodynamic drag and the wheels set well within the fender arches which directs air past the wheels. I also don't do much highway driving. My commute consists of only 1.5 miles on the highway and the remainder of my drive is done at speeds no higher than 50mph (14 mile commute). For someone that regularly travels at highway speeds more than 65mph this may have more of an impact.

I like these wheels. Thanks for the pics!

I've not seen a lot of detail pics of the wheels and brakes. The "TESLA" along the caliper is a nice touch, and looks great with these more open wheels. Now you just need some more aggressive looking drilled or slotted rotors. :)

I was scouting out wheel and tire packages at Tire Rack. I think this is the best of looking of the options, save for these O.Z. Superforgiata:
O.Z. Superforgiata Light Grey Painted
... awesome wheel, forged, unfortunate price.

Scott

- - - Updated - - -

Very nice!! Did you happen to get Low Rolling Resistance tires? That would make for an interesting comparison.

I'm not sure I'm a believer in the LRR. Those might be great for the hypermiling clan, or may pay for themselves on lower mpg ICE cars and trucks. But I think I'd rather give up 6-8 mi of range if it means the difference between an emergency stop in time, and one which lands me halfway under a semi trailer.

I'm not sure I'm a believer in the LRR. Those might be great for the hypermiling clan, or may pay for themselves on lower mpg ICE cars and trucks. But I think I'd rather give up 6-8 mi of range if it means the difference between an emergency stop in time, and one which lands me halfway under a semi trailer.

The latest generation of LRR tires have respectable stopping distance. No, they won't stop as quickly has high performance tires but they are really the same as standard tires. A few years ago this wasn't the case.

I got into a fender-bender in my Leaf yesterday. Guy pulled out into traffic in front of me (he had an obstructed view), I slammed on the brakes, and the stopping power just wasn't there. Coming from a 370z, this was a shocking experience. I don't know if was the LRR tires entirely, or just the Leaf's crappy brakes, but it was not a good feeling. I'm certain the Model S, with those Brembos and non-LRRs will handle much better.

I got into a fender-bender in my Leaf yesterday. Guy pulled out into traffic in front of me (he had an obstructed view), I slammed on the brakes, and the stopping power just wasn't there. Coming from a 370z, this was a shocking experience. I don't know if was the LRR tires entirely, or just the Leaf's crappy brakes, but it was not a good feeling. I'm certain the Model S, with those Brembos and non-LRRs will handle much better.

If the tires started sliding then they lacked grip. If they didn't, then it was the braking power. My guess is it was the brakes.

Wouldn't ABS prevent sliding tires?

Sometimes, it depends on the friction of the road surface. But if the ABS kicks in sooner than you would expect then the tires are sliding. If you slam on the brakes and there is enough traction, then the ABS won't kick in. If the stopping distance is longer than you would like in this situation, then the brakes are weaker than the tires' traction. If the ABS kicks in then the brakes are stronger than the tires' traction.

Ok, I have a dumb question to ask ... and I am going to sound as naive as h3ll.

I thought when can owners changed "wheels" for the Winter, they changed their tires, not "wheels"?

For a different tread pattern? Something more able to handle snow and / or ice?

But what you tell us here, Nikoli, is that you're changing your wheels for winter? How does that help?

Are there certain tyres that'll only go on certain wheels? Aside from the obvious measurements?

And while we're on the subject I read here that 19" are better for winter than 21". I've always taken this at face value. Why?

I thought when can owners changed "wheels" for the Winter, they changed their tires, not "wheels"?

For a different tread pattern? Something more able to handle snow and / or ice?

But what you tell us here, Nikoli, is that you're changing your wheels for winter? How does that help?

Are there certain tyres that'll only go on certain wheels? Aside from the obvious measurements?
Some people get one set of wheels and change the tires on those wheels in reaction to weather / season changes.

Some people get multiple sets of wheels and swap the wheels in reaction to weather / season changes.

As I understand it...
You risk damage to the tires every time they are mounted. You also risk damage to the tires of they're are left to sit unmounted.

Finally, for some wheel sizes (like the 21" Model S wheels) there is no (or very little) selection w/r/t winter tires. Consequently, those interested in getting winter tires while having 21" wheels necessarily have to get an additional set of 19" wheels to accomplish this.

Hope this helps.

Some people get one set of wheels and change the tires on those wheels in reaction to weather / season changes.

Some people get multiple sets of wheels and swap the wheels in reaction to weather / season changes.

As I understand it...
You risk damage to the tires every time they are mounted. You also risk damage to the tires of they're are left to sit unmounted.

Finally, for some wheel sizes (like the 21" Model S wheels) there is no (or very little) selection w/r/t winter tires. Consequently, those interested in getting winter tires while having 21" wheels necessarily have to get an additional set of 19" wheels to accomplish this.

Hope this helps.

I plan to buy a set of 19's (Rim & Tires) for the winter season and store them in my basement. I'm thinking about buying a 3.5T jack and install them myself.

I was scouting out wheel and tire packages at Tire Rack. I think this is the best of looking of the options, save for these O.Z. Superforgiata:
O.Z. Superforgiata Light Grey Painted
... awesome wheel, forged, unfortunate price.

Scott

Those are beautiful wheels...first aftermarkets that I've preferred to the factory options. As you say, that price is way steep though.

- - - Updated - - -

Those are nice too, much better price! If you ever love them so much that you don't want to take them off for the summer, I'll buy your 21" greys :)

our S is coming with the performance wheels. we are thinking of swapping out to maybe the 19" turbine ones in the other thread, though these look great too. any idea how to tell if an aftermarket tire can really handle the stress of all that torque? I mean not all wheels are created to such high performance right? it would really suck to find out the hard way when the wheel fails... any feedback would be helpful.