Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EU Clean Fuel Strategy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is this whole discussion going on right now with the UK saying that the EU had to much power.

To me this shows why the EU is good, it can 'tell' countries to do stuff so we can all benefit.

That on the side, I hope this will lead to more EVSEs along the road and the Type 2 connector everywhere. Sometimes you still see CEE (Blue or Red) connector or Type 1 (very rare though).

I just want to travel with my type 2 cable and that's it.

EU Clean Fuels Strategy

Just wondering what this EU directive means for Tesla owners in Europe. I am a little fresh on the whole subject of charging standards. http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-13-40_en.htm

It seems at least that the CHAdeMO consortium doesn't like it. http://www.chademo.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/CHAdeMO-Position-Statement-2013-01-24.pdf. (Interestingly the press release was changed. It originally said they were disappointed that CHAdeMO was excluded, now it says they hope it isnt)

The directive seems to set ambitious minimum levels for charging stations (150,000 in Germany for example), and that Combo type 2 plugs will be the European official standard. Will this apply to Teslas charge port in the car and/ or the Superchargers?

Last edited:
Just wondering what this EU directive means for Tesla owners in Europe. I am a little fresh on the whole subject of charging standards. http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-13-40_en.htm
Tesla should be fine. Tesla will support 3-phase and whether they do a 3-phase version of the Model S socket or use a Type 2 socket outright, they will be able to provide a cable with Type 2 on the other end (there's still the problem with stations with the cable attached if they decide not to include a Type 2 socket, but that's less of an issue since Type 1 cars like the Leaf have the same problem).

It seems at least that the CHAdeMO consortium doesn't like it. http://www.chademo.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/CHAdeMO-Position-Statement-2013-01-24.pdf. (Interestingly the press release was changed. It originally said they were disappointed that CHAdeMO was excluded, now it says they hope it isnt)
The US policy is to have dual plug chargers, but if EU decides to go with Type 2 only, then CHAdeMO is doomed in Europe. I think they changed it to "hope" because they are recently in the progress of opening the standard and submitting it for IEC approval (as mentioned in the press release), so there's a chance for the EU to change their mind (if they didn't make that move they have no chance).

I think the writing is on the wall for CHAdeMO outside of Japan even if they do get the EU to support dual plug. They don't have enough non-Japanese automakers on their side and it seems even those that are SUPPOSED to be supporting CHAdeMO don't really want to support it (Toyota and Renault being the big ones, esp. Renault). Again, as soon as the Leaf loses the EV crown CHAdeMO is effectively dead.

They speak of "Type 2" is becomming the standard!
My understanding (sorry if I am wrong) is the "simple" mennekes plug and not the DC one

I understoud from reading time over time that Fastcharging is called "type 3"
So I think CHADEMO will keep existing! (Supercharging in that case too)

I saw the video, and they would not enforce this standard!!! ............

On a picture made at the event there was a Leaf charging with a CHADEMO port!
Would be stupid that the commisioner stoud next to a car charging illegaly!

One thing I am sure of, It is very confusing décision, and I do not think it will change anything concerning fastcharging!

Only thing that may change is that the simplest chargepoints will get a mennekes-plug instead of the typical 2-3-pin 13-16A plug specific for each country!
This is what I think was the purpuse of the decision! (That would be a good thing)

They chose Type 2 as the standar plug in the EU for the infrastructure side. Each public charge point must have a Mennekes type plug.

DC fast charge is not Type but Mode 4. Mode 3 is the AC charge using wallbox.

IMHO, CHAdeMO has no future in Europe since the ACEA chose Combo2 as "the DC plug".

I understoud from reading time over time that Fastcharging is called "type 3"
Nope. "Type 3" is this shuttered plug backed by France and Italy (countries with shutter requirement):
gI_71889_EV-Plug-Alliance%20SCAME1.jpg

EU wants "only Type 2" instead. CHAdeMO is worried because "only Type 2" excludes CHAdeMO.

Mennekes DC is Type 2 "Mode 4" ("Mode 2" is 22kW, "Mode 3" is 43 kW).