Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to install in garage for Tesla, 240V or 400V? (Norway)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My tesla delivery is a year away, but im meeting electrician very soon to discuss options for new garage. Since I do not have any experience with 3 phase outlets I need some advice.

Should I go for:

240V 40-50 Amp outlet?
240V 90-100 Amp (does it even exist? Probably cables will be as thick as my arms?:))
Or 3 phase 400V 90-100Amp (or as someone mentioned it is actually 3x240V?)

I have not asked yet, but believe a 3 phase would cost me a lot of extra money, since I don’t have it to my house.

Probably ever way (240V or 3phase 400V) if I want to get more than 10KW/h of charging, I have to order Tesla S with extra charger?

Just wonder how supercharger can manage tp load half of the battery in 1/2 hour..?
then car should not use built-in chargers, but instead take a DC current directly to bateries, but still it is like:
20V and 2200Apms DC?:scared:

My tesla delivery is a year away, but im meeting electrician very soon to discuss options for new garage. Since I do not have any experience with 3 phase outlets I need some advice.

Should I go for:

240V 40-50 Amp outlet?
240V 90-100 Amp (does it even exist? Probably cables will be as thick as my arms?:))

I have not asked yet, but believe a 3 phase would cost me a lot of extra money, since I don’t have it to my house.

Probably ever way (240V or 3phase 400V) if I want to get more than 10KW/h of charging, I have to order Tesla S with extra charger?

Just wonder how supercharger can manage tp load half of the battery in 1/2 hour..?
then car should not use built-in chargers, but instead take a DC current directly to bateries, but still it is like:

You very likely have 3 phase to your house. Either it's 400V TN or the older type 230V IT (no neutral). You will charge overnight at home so you won't need super fast charging. For almost anyone 6kW per hour is enough. That's 230V at 16A in 3 phases, if you have a modern 400V grid connection you'll get 11kW from a 16A 3 phase connection.

So talk to your electrician about drawing a 3phase cable to the garage over which you'll want to be able to draw a dedicated 16A on all 3 phases for the car + some extra capacity for the rest of the electrical stuff in the garage.

DC direct is how it is done. Up to 225A, 400V (I think tops out at 400V). Here's an example picture. The voltage varies while charging as the battery management system takes care of cooling, etc.:

supercharging.jpg

Should I go for:

240V 40-50 Amp outlet?

If you have a 400V TN connection to the grid, which I suspect that you have, I would ask the electrician to set up a dedicated 3x16A 400V outlet in your garage for charging your Model S. Then you will be able to charge with 11kW - similar to what the Americans get with their NEMA 14-50 plug. Hopefully we will find out shortly if the European UMC will come with IEC-connectors for 3-phase charging at home.

Last edited:
You very likely have 3 phase to your house. Either it's 400V TN or the older type 230V IT (no neutral). You will charge overnight at home so you won't need super fast charging. For almost anyone 6kW per hour is enough. That's 230V at 16A in 3 phases, if you have a modern 400V grid connection you'll get 11kW from a 16A 3 phase connection.

So talk to your electrician about drawing a 3phase cable to the garage over which you'll want to be able to draw a dedicated 16A on all 3 phases for the car + some extra capacity for the rest of the electrical stuff in the garage.

Ill ask electritian about the grid I'm connected, but is there is no 3 phase to my house, is it possible with regular, one phae 240V to get a 40-50 amp?

If you have a 400V TN connection to the grid, which I suspect that you have, I would ask the electrician to set up a dedicated 3x16A 400V outlet in your garage for charging your Model S. Then you will be able to charge with 11kW - similar to what the Americans get with their NEMA 14-50 plug. Hopefully we will find out shortly if the European UMC will come with IEC-connectors for 3-phase charging at home.

fom your last line I understood it is not clear yet if it will be possible to use 3 phase outlets to charge Tesla S in Europe? then I should get max Amp's out of one phase 240V line.

Indeed, ask for this outlet: IEC 60309 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is a CEE 16A 400V. Like mentioned before, that would give you 11kW of charging.

thanks for advice, probably will have to install the one which is approved for using in Norway.

update:

after meeting with electrician seems like 400V 16 amp x3 phase is the best option I have. I told him I need at least 10kW(best case 20kW) outlet for my upcoming electric car - he just smiled, looked at me sceptically, and told "there is no such cars which would require more than 16 amp 240V"... anyway, after some discussion, he even refused to give me a price for 240V 40Amp or (80Amp) outlet.

seems like only option I have is 400V 3phase 16amps. Hope 3 phase 400V will be supported by Tesla? is there any news about it?

otherwise I will be stuck with 16 Amp 240V outlet.:redface:

update:

after meeting with electrician seems like 400V 16 amp x3 phase is the best option I have. I told him I need at least 10kW(best case 20kW) outlet for my upcoming electric car - he just smiled, looked at me sceptically, and told "there is no such cars which would require more than 16 amp 240V"... anyway, after some discussion, he even refused to give me a price for 240V 40Amp or (80Amp) outlet.

seems like only option I have is 400V 3phase 16amps. Hope 3 phase 400V will be supported by Tesla? is there any news about it?

Yes, it seems extremely likely that 3x16A at 400V will be available, which will give you 11kW. You will never get 16A 240V single phase, but rather 16A 230V (240V is the US standard) which would only give you 3.3kW. If you have 3x63A service at 400V to your house you couldn't get an 80A outlet (at one phase) since 63A is the maximum per phase. You will be fine with the 3x16A at 400V. In my opinion the twin chargers (20kW) will rarely be of use at home, where you almost always have 8 hours (over night) to charge. Good luck!

update:

I think you need to find a new electrician.

I believe that you have already seen the info on Ladestasjoner.no, Paul, that said that the UMC will come with a normal Schuko-plug, 16A 400V red industrial plug and a 32A 230V blue industrial plug. You made the perfect choice for your outlet in your garage! Yngve
seems like Im getting my TMS before new garage will be built :) so I will have to live for a half year with 230v 16A. but for new garage I have agreed with electrician to install 400V 32A. most likely I won't need 22kW of power for daily use, but im thinking about a second electric car in some years, and then only with some small modifications it will be easy to get 2 sockets of 400V16A.
Price for 400V32A was not to bad - 5000NOK:
1 unit of socket 4x32A
10 meters of PFXP 5x10mm cable
10 meters of 32mm "pipe"? (korrugert-in Norwegian).

seems like Im getting my TMS before new garage will be built :) so I will have to live for a half year with 230v 16A. but for new garage I have agreed with electrician to install 400V 32A. most likely I won't need 22kW of power for daily use, but im thinking about a second electric car in some years, and then only with some small modifications it will be easy to get 2 sockets of 400V16A.
Price for 400V32A was not to bad - 5000NOK:
1 unit of socket 4x32A
10 meters of PFXP 5x10mm cable
10 meters of 32mm "pipe"? (korrugert-in Norwegian).
Just make sure you get a 3x16A 400V red outlet for your Model S. The 3x32A outlet won't fit the UMC.

--
Yngve