Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bluetooth MAP support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveVa

2012 Sig Perf #236 VIN#484; 2018 P100D; 2021 Plaid
May 31, 2011
Northern Virginia
Message Access Profile (MAP)

Message Access Profile (MAP)[4] specification allows exchange of messages between devices. Mostly used for automotive handsfree use. The MAP profile can also be used for other uses that require the exchange of messages between two devices. The automotive Hands-Free use case is where an on-board terminal device (typically an electronic device as a Car-Kit installed in the car) can talk via messaging capability to another communication device (typically a mobile phone). For example, Bluetooth MAP is used by HP Send and receive text (SMS) messages from a Palm/HP smartphone to an HP TouchPad tablet.[5] Bluetooth MAP is used by Ford in select SYNC Generation 1-equipped 2011 and 2012 vehicles [6] and also by BMW with many of their iDrive systems. The Lexus LX and GS 2013 models both also support MAP as does the Honda CRV 2012, Acura 2013 and ILX 2013. Apple introduced Bluetooth MAP in iOS 6 for the iPhone and iPad.
[Wikipedia]

Given the sophistication of the Tesla UI platform, this should be on the short list of items to implement. First phase could be to display of incoming text messages in the "phone app" when the app is selected (both on the 17" and Phone window to right of speedometer). Eventually Tesla could work with Google "speech to text" function used for voice commands to send messages as well.

Has anyone seen this on the radar?

Message Access Profile (MAP)

Message Access Profile (MAP)[4] specification allows exchange of messages between devices. Mostly used for automotive handsfree use. The MAP profile can also be used for other uses that require the exchange of messages between two devices. The automotive Hands-Free use case is where an on-board terminal device (typically an electronic device as a Car-Kit installed in the car) can talk via messaging capability to another communication device (typically a mobile phone). For example, Bluetooth MAP is used by HP Send and receive text (SMS) messages from a Palm/HP smartphone to an HP TouchPad tablet.[5] Bluetooth MAP is used by Ford in select SYNC Generation 1-equipped 2011 and 2012 vehicles [6] and also by BMW with many of their iDrive systems. The Lexus LX and GS 2013 models both also support MAP as does the Honda CRV 2012, Acura 2013 and ILX 2013. Apple introduced Bluetooth MAP in iOS 6 for the iPhone and iPad.
[Wikipedia]

Given the sophistication of the Tesla UI platform, this should be on the short list of items to implement. First phase could be to display of incoming text messages in the "phone app" when the app is selected (both on the 17" and Phone window to right of speedometer). Eventually Tesla could work with Google "speech to text" function used for voice commands to send messages as well.

Has anyone seen this on the radar?

While this would be nice, my priorities on the Bluetooth front are a bit different.

#1 - Fix A2DP streaming (at least when connecting to iOS 6) I can only go 5-10 minutes tops without the phone disconnecting and playback stopping. Doesn't matter if the phone is in the cup holder, center console area, etc. I tested today with the v4.2 software and this wasn't improved at all.

#2 - Once the connection is stable, add additional codec support. iOS devices now support streaming native AAC media which prevents the massive loss that happens today when it sends to the Model S using SBC. For Android devices apt-X support would be even better.

On the MAP front, I'm curious how this work relates to the other Siri integration that Apple is now doing with other car manufacturers.

While this would be nice, my priorities on the Bluetooth front are a bit different.

#1 - Fix A2DP streaming (at least when connecting to iOS 6) I can only go 5-10 minutes tops without the phone disconnecting and playback stopping. Doesn't matter if the phone is in the cup holder, center console area, etc. I tested today with the v4.2 software and this wasn't improved at all.

#2 - Once the connection is stable, add additional codec support. iOS devices now support streaming native AAC media which prevents the massive loss that happens today when it sends to the Model S using SBC. For Android devices apt-X support would be even better.

On the MAP front, I'm curious how this work relates to the other Siri integration that Apple is now doing with other car manufacturers.

On #1 my and my sons iPhone 5's with iOS 6 were both having the same problem until a Tesla Tech updated my low level firmware.
I don't know what its called but it was done when my 12V battery died/fried and had to be replaced. It's not the same as the regular firmware, because I'm still at 4.0. Anyway, I think the fix exists.

As to the other - bring it on! better codec support as well as onscreen display of incoming text messages would be most welcome!

On #1 my and my sons iPhone 5's with iOS 6 were both having the same problem until a Tesla Tech updated my low level firmware.
I don't know what its called but it was done when my 12V battery died/fried and had to be replaced. It's not the same as the regular firmware, because I'm still at 4.0. Anyway, I think the fix exists.

As to the other - bring it on! better codec support as well as onscreen display of incoming text messages would be most welcome!

Thanks. Just checked with the San Diego service center and they were not aware of such a fix. They said they would open up a case and the folks in Fremont will check into it. Fingers crossed. I can get by with playing music off a USB drive. Podcasts on the other hand I really need phone integration for and a disconnect every few minutes is very frustrating. I'll report back what they say.

-Kit

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. Just checked with the San Diego service center and they were not aware of such a fix. They said they would open up a case and the folks in Fremont will check into it. Fingers crossed. I can get by with playing music off a USB drive. Podcasts on the other hand I really need phone integration for and a disconnect every few minutes is very frustrating. I'll report back what they say.

-Kit

Service called back and said to try turning off WiFi on the phone. They observed in other cases that the phones wifi polling resulted in it disconnecting after stopping its transmission briefly to the car. Something to try if you are having this problem.

I am happy to report that with my upgrade to v4.3 my iPhone 5 no longer disconnects every few minutes. I'm now over 1 week without disconnects which were present in all previous versions since delivery back in December.