Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Perf 85kw VIN 2277 on eBay, Currently at $110,000 with $119,900 BIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ipdamages

Roadster Sport 835
Sep 25, 2011
Las Vegas Area
Tesla : Performance Package S Model 85kw in Tesla | eBay Motors

it seems that prices are falling. the sticker on the car is $98,850, plus tax/etc., so there is still a premium (bethesda sales tax is 6%), but the days of making tens of thousands reselling a model S appear to be over. of course, this is logical, when considering that the wait on cars seems to be dropping quickly as well, so immediately buying a car configured by someone else is soon going to be less desirable than ordering one to a buyer's preferred specs and obtaining the $7,500 or higher tax credit. for example, this person ordered in december and had a 5-week wait from deposit to finalize config date:

Concerned about weak demand

it appears we are quickly approaching a "normal" resale market, with a penalty to resellers of vehicles.

Almost the exact same configuration as mine, except I 'downgraded' to 19" wheels, and added the Twin Chargers + HPWC.

You're forgetting the $990+$180 for delivery & prep fees. I think his total would have been ($98850 + $990 + $180) + 6% sales tax (I dunno if delivery/prep is taxed, theres no sales tax in NJ for zero-emit so I wouldn't know lol), bringing his total to $106021.2, less the $7500 tax credit which then brings it back down to $98.5k. So if it sells for $110k even, he'll profit approx $11.4k, and if it goes for the BIN at approx $21.3k less ebay fees if there are any - doesn't look like much as its not based on %.

Anywho, good luck with that. What's funny is that even though there are 6 bids up to $110k, the 'reserve is not met', HAHA. That's just plain ol' dumb. For the buyer's side, they'd be paying a hefty $12k-$25k premium for a 'used' vehicle and not even eligible for the tax credit. A total waste of $$$ since their production rate is climbing and waiting times have dropped significantly.

You're forgetting the $990+$180 for delivery & prep fees. I think his total would have been ($98850 + $990 + $180) + 6% sales tax (I dunno if delivery/prep is taxed, theres no sales tax in NJ for zero-emit so I wouldn't know lol), bringing his total to $106021.2, less the $7500 tax credit which then brings it back down to $98.5k. So if it sells for $110k even, he'll profit approx $11.4k, and if it goes for the BIN at approx $21.3k less ebay fees if there are any - doesn't look like much as its not based on %.

the $990 and $180 were the "etc." i included in my original post above.

the seller will not get the tax credit, so his/her actual cost will be the $106,021.20 you calculated (and to answer your question, there is no tax on the other fees). as a result, the profit to the seller is $4K-$14K (ignoring the reserve price issue).

For the buyer's side, they'd be paying a hefty $12k-$25k premium for a 'used' vehicle and not even eligible for the tax credit. A total waste of $$$ since their production rate is climbing and waiting times have dropped significantly.

i completely agree with you. one has to be jonesing to get a model S immediately and be willing to pay a lot for that in order to buy a used model S like this - especially given that you don't seem to save much time with this type of a purchase.

Almost the exact same configuration as mine, except I 'downgraded' to 19" wheels, and added the Twin Chargers + HPWC.

i like the 19" wheels much more than the 21"ers. i think it's just a matter of time until tesla releases a 21" version that doesn't have the fan design.

have fun with your new model S!

I looked more into this and again as far as I can tell, even if you sell the car you still keep the rebate. "first individual or company to 'own and register the car' claims and keeps the credit. The credit is only available once per vehicle to the first owner."

Apparently this also created a loophole with GM's "60 day 100% money back guarantee" they have with the Volt. You can buy the Volt, register it, return the Volt and get all your money back, then claim the full $7500 on your return. This is valid because you we're the original owner of the car and placed it in service. GM goofed on that one. Oh well.

The exact language of the law is that in order to qualify the car must be:

"acquired for use or lease by the taxpayer and not for resale."

As to how long one must hold it before selling, I don't know that that has been tested.

Its not specified anywhere. The intent I believe is to prevent any dealer from claiming the rebate instead of the consumer (like where a few Chevy dealers did and prevented the consumer from getting the rebate) As for a regular consumer, any argument saying the intent was for resale is impossible to prove. You could have it 1 day then say it was too strenuous on your finances and needed to get rid of it. That's perfectly valid and you can still get the credit. Hell you could even argue that you didn't want to lose your non-refundable deposit so you sold it the day u got it as the original intent was not for resale.

Its not specified anywhere. The intent I believe is to prevent any dealer from claiming the rebate instead of the consumer (like where a few Chevy dealers did and prevented the consumer from getting the rebate)
Leaf dealers did just that - sold Leafs to each other and took credit and then sold discounted car right away to a customer who were not able to take advantage of tax credit...

Leaf dealers did just that - sold Leafs to each other and took credit and then sold discounted car right away to a customer who were not able to take advantage of tax credit...

Shame on them! So corrupt. It's sad the world we live in and the ongoing scams to screw others just to make a few bucks.

However I kinda think that's how every manufacturers rebates work too for ever car. If a manufacturer is offering $1000 incentive and a dealer trades that vehicle to another dealer, I think the original dealer keeps the incentive and its not passed to the consumer..

Hate to burst the 'when I win' bubble, but it turns out it is only open to Washington State residents. Phil will be contacting the out-of-state folks. Of course, if you have friends in Washington State, you can give your ticket to them & update the ticket contact information.

Luckily for me, my former college roommate and good friend is a family doc in Tacoma. Guess who is getting my ticket? And guess what she'll give me if she wins??

:)