Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

REFUEL 2013 - June 30th, 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just thinking about this the other day. I hope we have some new videos and stats to chew on. :)

Maybe this year we won't hear nonsense from them w/r/t Tesla vehicles not showing up in the official stats. I sent them an e-mail last year about it and the answer was weak and there was no follow-up afterwards.

How "safe" is an event like this? What are the things to watch out for and prep for if you are an absolute newcomer to tracking? My wife is not thrilled at all with the idea of my going on any track let alone Laguna Seca; she has practically equated this to something like skydiving (that's on a forbidden list)! :(

So time trial means no other cars on the track at the same time? At least nobody close enough to pass or be passed, right?

Helmets - will a snowboarding helmet do? I think mine is older than 2005 though.

Is it any fun to go as a spectator and not drive? I feel like I should get more instruction than just a quick debrief before attempting something like this.

GG, I'll go with you and be your pit crew!

How "safe" is an event like this? What are the things to watch out for and prep for if you are an absolute newcomer to tracking? My wife is not thrilled at all with the idea of my going on any track let alone Laguna Seca; she has practically equated this to something like skydiving (that's on a forbidden list)! :(

Isn't skydiving safer than flying in a plane?

Tracks should be much safer than just daily driving in the Bay Area :wink:

If you've never tracked your car before, just take it slow and don't push yourself. Last year a roadster owner damaged his car trying to get a better time so if you don't think you can control yourself then don't go. Personally I think Laguna Seca is not the track for newcomers, Thunderhill raceway is much more forgiving to beginners - if you spin or miss a turn you just go into the dirt instead of smacking into concrete walls. You'll need a Snell 2005 helmet which can be rented at the track if you don't have one already.
You don't even need someone to hit you to go off the track - over the weekend, an Aston Martin driver died during the LeMans race -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KXErF1eRkOI

Wear comfortable, non-synthetic clothes/shoes and just drive safe, take your time and enjoy the experience. A normal track day at Laguna Seca would cost you over $200 so $10 just to say you drove your car on a historic track is bargain!

This event is this coming weekend, so be sure you try to register online first. Anyone know how many spots are still available?

Cost per car used to be $10, but I think it's gone up to $30 this year. Spectator price is still a cheap $10 and I think it's definitely worthwhile if you have the time. The gas cars that run separately during the day subsidize the EV price.

Be sure you check out the threads from previous years:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/tags.php?tag=REFUEL

Almost perfectly safe for you. Not so much for the car tho :)

Hmm, I might just take my P85+ along. I hadn't really thought about it as an option because I didn't think I'd have the car in time. I've done a track day there before and the AMG Driving Academy there so I know the track well and love it.

- - - Updated - - -

Nevermind, it is sold out for cars. I've got on the waiting list but not getting my hopes up.

I'm thinking the P85+ will be well equipped to lower the best lap time from last year. If I remember that articles about last year, I believe the best Model S laps were in the 1:55ish range, while the best Roadster laps were in the 2:05 range. How much will the P85+ lower that? H'mm...

Next year, we need to time BC2BC relative to REFUEL so I can partake in both!

I should probably spend some time at the track in Portland and take a performance driving school or something, so I have a clue :tongue:

I am heading down with a Roadster owner who will drive the track.
I have yet to drive it myself, but had lots of nice opportunities in previous years to get rides around the track during the event.
There are multiple chances at the track during the day, and most are many cars at once, so you do have passing action happening.

They separate out the cycles from the cars into separate events.

@TEG - Can you follow-up with them why they still don't list any of the Tesla times on the track records? And nudge them to fix that for this year's runs?

Refuel 2012
4th annual ReFuel: Sun 7/1/12 @ Laguna Seca - Page 11
Code:
PRODUCTION    1    SEAN WHEELER       Tesla Model S             01:51.8     72.0  Vehicle Dynamics Chassis Eng, Tesla

That should put Sean's run at tied for #62 here:
Laguna Seca lap records - FastestLaps.com
Code:
62. Porsche 911 Carrera 1:51.80  116 '04 325 / 1395 Neil Chirico

Yet no Tesla from any REFUEL shows up in this list.