Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Both mirrors tilt!!!

Both mirrors tilt!!!

I learned something new today!

I knew the passenger-side mirror tilts when you go reverse (after setting it when the car is in reverse), but I didn't know the driver-side does as well. I realized this when I was parallel parking on the driver-side today. I was Reversing and tilted the mirror on the driver-side to get a good look at the curb, put the car in Drive to reposition, and when I put the car back in Reverse I noticed the mirror tilted down.

My bimmer doesn't even do that. Very cool!!!
    P01282: P85 • White/Black (red piping) • 19" wheels • Tech • Air Suspension • Sound • HPWC • Twin Chargers • Armor • CF Spoiler
    Delivered 11/28/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    I learned something new today!

I knew the passenger-side mirror tilts when you go reverse (after setting it when the car is in reverse), but I didn't know the driver-side does as well. I realized this when I was parallel parking on the driver-side today. I was Reversing and tilted the mirror on the driver-side to get a good look at the curb, put the car in Drive to reposition, and when I put the car back in Reverse I noticed the mirror tilted down.

My bimmer doesn't even do that. Very cool!!!
    eh I have mixed feelings on this. I don't know if I actually like them tilting down or not. Seems unnatural to me.

I had this feature in my Range Rover, but the software was glitchy and sometimes the mirrors would tilt up when going in reverse and tilt down when in drive. No joke. I complained about this to LR but needless to say that were just like 'oh thats weird' and thats it. One time I backed into my parking spot, and when I got back in a head home for the day I just hopped in and pulled out. It wasn't until I had to merge onto the highway that I looked at my mirrors to merge and I was like 'holy **** I can't see anything' and immediately pulled over into the shoulder and tried had to fiddle for 10 minutes to get the damn thing to 'glitch back' to the correct settings. Seriously. I put the car in reverse, they tilted up, drive they tilted down. I kept doing this over and over and over again really fast to trigger whatever bug was in the software and eventually it glitched back. After that, I found the menu settings to disable this feature and thus never used it again. I'm not saying that the Model S will have that bug, but personally I don't think I like it anyway so if there is an option to disable it I probably will.
    P85. VIN05837. Mileage (05/13/14): 48,000mi, Black | Tan Leather | Perf Seats | Obeche Glossy | Pano | Tech | Sound Studio | Air | Spoiler | Parcel Shelf | Twin Chargers | HPWC | Fog | Extended Trim | Alcantara | Premium Lighting, Aftermkt: XPEL | 40/20% Tint | Lighted T | 19" Tsportline TST Grey Turbines | 255/45ZR19 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    You don't have to enable the feature so that is nice to have it as an option.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yobigd20 View Post
    eh I have mixed feelings on this. I don't know if I actually like them tilting down or not. Seems unnatural to me.
    You can turn it off in the "settings" screen.

I had this feature in my Range Rover, but the software was glitchy and sometimes the mirrors would tilt up when going in reverse and tilt down when in drive.
    You can turn the feature on and off. I always turn it off in my cars. I have had experiences where they tilt down, but when they come back up, they're in the wrong position. I also find that in the deep freeze of winter, they can freeze and having the little electric motor struggle and strain against a frozen mechanism is not good.

As others have said this is an option.

Plus it really isn't tilt down. It is a separate memory setting for mirrors when in reverse. You can set them any way you want.

Think with dispassion; Speak with equanimity; Act in calm.
    Moderator - Southeast, Future Cars, TMC Connect
    Do not use this material outside of Tesla Motors Club without attribution and permission.

Blog Entries
    I normally set the rear view mirrors for best blind spot coverage, which means I can't see the sides of the car.

I've adjusted my reverse settings so that they tuck in towards the car a little, so I can now see the sides of the car - great for judging clearances. I've set them to only tilt down very slightly. This is very natural for me.
    Roadster #919, Model S #2006. Blog The Rules of Model S Road Tripping
    Moderator: Tesla Motors , Electric Vehicles, Media, Roadster,
    Canada, EVents and Off Topic sub-forums.

#P708
    yes, i agree, the implementation of this feature on the s is very good. both mirrors can be set independently for reverse, very helpful to have them exactly where you want them on both sides. and my experience after a month with the car is the encoding and servos work very accurately, the mirrors go to the exact spots forward and reverse each time. excellent. and almost makes me forget how nnoyed i was at not getting motorized folding mirrors.. which as it turns out i don't need nearly as much as i thought. the s is a few inches wider than my bmw and that was tight in the garage, but actually it fits just fine and i haven't had any issues...
    \\#708•P85•METALLIC GREY•PERF 21"•BLACK LEATHER•GLOSS OBECHE•PANO•TECH•SOUND / /

Model S VIN P01536 Robert.Boston's Avatar
    The "dual" feature is really great for parallel parking in places, like Boston, that have a lot of one-way streets; I parallel park at least as often on the left as on the right side of the road. I have both mirrors set (in reverse) so that I can see the curb. Don't want to have curb rash if I can help it!

MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891 spatterso911's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert.Boston View Post
    The "dual" feature is really great for parallel parking in places, like Boston, that have a lot of one-way streets; I parallel park at least as often on the left as on the right side of the road. I have both mirrors set (in reverse) so that I can see the curb. Don't want to have curb rash if I can help it!
    Agreed. Also helpful for backing into parking spots where you can train the mirrors to see the lines, while the camera keeps track of the concrete stop.
    http://www.teslacountdown.com/modelx...891?size=small

PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Delivered: Model S - VIN 3498: Performance, Black/Black/CF; Grey 21" rims; Pano; Tech; Sound studio; Parcel Shelf; Paint armor; Twin Chargers; HPWC;

Thread Information