Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electric planes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
Personal, green airplanes set to take off - Page1 -Â* MSN Tech & Gadgets - Green News and Features
7689D9BBE088B6568C571CFEACB8C.jpg

"I'm sure that electric power everywhere will be the substitute for internal combustion fuel engines," Boscarol said. "First, you must develop (an) aircraft that needs so little power that electricity is efficient."
Edit: Holy link-rot, Batman! MSN and Yahoo are really suck wrt link longevity. Here's a similar article from around the same time:
Greentech Media | Will Electric Planes Take Off?

WillElectricPlanesTakeOff_medium_image1_181.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed. While a short range (i.e. under 1 hour range) prop plane might be possible - think Dash 8 with 30 passengers replaced with batteries and slower - an electric supersonic jet?!?
Commercial supersonic flight barely worked with jet fuel due to the energy costs (i.e. the power required for sustained supersonic flight). Short of Mr. Fusion, electric supersonic flight is an engineering challenge to say the least. Still would be really cool, though.

Last edited:
Well, the current battery runs at 185kW for about 15 minutes, right? So to run at 745kW for an hour would require 16 of them, or 16,000 pounds worth of battery costing over $300k.

$300k isn't outrageous in the scheme of things for a plane.

I was thinking 2x 745 = 1490kW

Take the Dash 8 as an example, reducing passengers to ~50:

Fuel = 3.5 tonnes
30 pax and luggage = 3 tonnes
Mass dif. between gas turbine and electric motors = 0.5 tonnes (?)

So there could be 7 tonnes to play with.

1490kWh / 7000kg = 212Wh/kg - in the upper end of the ballpark for Li-ion.

Or looking at it another way: 7 tonnes roughly equals 14 current Tesla packs

14 x 59kWh = 826
60 x 826/1490 = 33 minutes run time

Or with 3600mAh cells

14 x 91kWh = 1274
60 x 1274/1490 = 51 minutes run time

These numbers assume no losses or DoD considerations, *but* assume the motors run at 100%, which of course after the take-off climb they probably wouldn't.

Last edited:
Very interesting, but 50-60 min run time is pretty limited.

However, wasn't the 2 x 745 kW for the DC-3 engines? According to Wikipedia (ultra reliable, I'm sure) the Dash 8 has 2 x 1800 shp turboprops. So 2686 kW would be required instead of 1490 kW, reducing the run time from 60 min to only 33 min.

Perhaps a new airframe, designed more like a glider, cruising at about 80 mph, could be feasible for a BEV private aircraft. I can't see how the economics could work for commercial passenger aircraft (slow, expensive, and reduced payload).

The electric launch gliders, like the two-seat Pipistrel in Doug's link above and the one-seat Antares 20E, seem to have lots of advantages over their ICE competitors. But only for the lucky ones that can afford it (like the Telsa Roadster :rolleyes:) Lots of good info at the Antares 20E web site:

Lange Aviation - Home

Elon must be smoking some pretty good stuff with his comments about electric supersonic vertical launch aircraft. As Doug pointed out, this plenty hard to do even with the energy density of jet fuel. I think only the most recent Harrier has achieved both vertical launch and supersonic flight in the same aircraft.

His ultracap comments are a little worrisome as well.

GSP

Perhaps bringing this thread down to earth and off on a new heading...

I have heard about adding electric propulsion for taxiing, firing up the jet engines just before takeoff and shutting them down immediately after touchdown. That seems to make a lot of sense.

Is there enough time at the gate to recharge the batteries if only used for that purpose?

I think only the most recent Harrier has achieved both vertical launch and supersonic flight in the same aircraft.
I think you mean the F35. One of the most awesome planes I've ever had a chance to see in person.

I have heard about adding electric propulsion for taxiing, firing up the jet engines just before takeoff and shutting them down immediately after touchdown. That seems to make a lot of sense.
If that's all it's going to do, you might be better off just using some kind of EV to tow the plane to and from the runway. (Might have to take more precautions to avoid ground collisions, though.)

Last edited:
Reactions: X-pilot
Very interesting, but 50-60 min run time is pretty limited.

However, wasn't the 2 x 745 kW for the DC-3 engines? According to Wikipedia (ultra reliable, I'm sure) the Dash 8 has 2 x 1800 shp turboprops. So 2686 kW would be required instead of 1490 kW, reducing the run time from 60 min to only 33 min.

You are right, but the Dash 8 does have a much faster cruise speed than a DC-3 so it needs the extra power. I was looking at that plane as an example of the masses that could be saved if one around that size was made electric, just to see if this idea would fly (ahem). I suppose that the advantage of an electric design would be that you could have 2MW motors for take off if needed and still throttle back to a lower speed only using the power talked about above.

As for the usefulness, well around the UK and Ireland there are plenty of turboprops flying routes well under 150 miles and I'm sure that is the case with other island nations too. So if this can significantly lower running costs, there could be a market there. It's worth a closer look I think.

I believe that the original PML Flightlink pancake motors were developed for aircraft landing gear. Was this the intended purpose?

Is there enough time at the gate to recharge the batteries if only used for that purpose?

Well, having a high power charger in that environment is more likely to be approved than on the street, and if the fuel saved in taxing more than offsets the mass, then this could be an application for the AltairNano battery (hey, if EEstor come through, that would be excellent for this discussion).

I think you mean the F35. One of the most awesome planes I've ever had a change to see in person.

The friend at Rolls Royce that I mentioned in the Lotus EV thread is working on the lift fan for that. But he said that the vertical take-off done by the prototype was basically a stunt that only that plane could do - the production F-35B spec will be short take-off/vertical landing.

But I agree, it is awesome.

If that's all it's going to do, you might be better off just using some kind of EV to tow the plane to and from the runway. (Might have to take more precautions to avoid ground collisions, though.)

Not sure if it is with EVs, but Richard Branson proposed doing this.

I suppose that the advantage of an electric design would be that you could have 2MW motors for take off if needed and still throttle back to a lower speed only using the power talked about above.

As for the usefulness, well around the UK and Ireland there are plenty of turboprops flying routes well under 150 miles and I'm sure that is the case with other island nations too. So if this can significantly lower running costs, there could be a market there. It's worth a closer look I think.

Ah.... Island hopping. I hadn't thought of that. My midwest US mentality just assumed that I could drive 150 mi and be at my destination faster and cheaper than flying, and have my car, luggage, etc! Doesn't work to well once you get to land's end (a concept that I've read about, but rarely experienced).:rolleyes:

I don't understand the 2 MW motor comment though. If the motors were any more powerful than needed for takeoff, wouldn't that add a *lot* of unnecessary weight?

GSP

Well, I know that in some other applications, double the output for a short time is possible. It was only in answer to whether that much power was needed for the Dash 8-sized airframe. There must be a runway length / engine power trade-off and this is where we have to go off and do some proper engineering :smile:

By the way, I've recently read that for sustained output, just over 1kW/kg is a good number for a state-of-the-art motor. How does that compare with Tesla's?

Tesla eMotor:
~185kW, ~35kg. ~5kW/kg. Not bad. And that isn't even the sport motor.

Hmm... I thought circa 200kg seemed a tad on the heavy side.

Well, I guess that calls into question the claims of the other source, although they would have to run flat out at very high power levels for hours at a time (and it is a well respected electrical engineering company).

More investigation required...

Maybe ~35kg is a bit on the low side.

I see a fair amount of variation in reported motor weight...

Tesla Roadster
The Tesla Roadster runs on a 3-phase, 4-pole electric motor that weighs a mere 70 lbs.
Green Car Congress: Tesla to Use Interim Transmission to Get Production Roadster Out the Door
they managed to build a 248 hp electric motor that weighs only 70 lbs.
Medieval's Blog!: The Tesla Roadster
...it weights 70 lbs.
apr 07 business | The Global Intelligencer
No larger than a watermelon, the whole motor weighs around 70 lbs.
Tesla Motors - think
(70 lbs for the motor, ~160 lbs for the motor, differential and transmission).
Thermal Systems: Tesla Motors
The Tesla Roadster motor is a 3-phase, 4-pole electric induction motor. The motor is equivalent to the size of a large watermelon and weight about 100 lbs.
Tesla Motors - under the skin (Motor section)
The Tesla motor weighs less than 115 pounds...
The Tesla Roadster - the perfect Elise? (by The Racing Geek)
The electric motor spins up to 13,500 rpm and produces 248 bhp and 200 ft/lbs of torque while weighing just 125 lbs.
So, depending on where you look the motor weighs between 70 and 125lbs (32-56kg). Perhaps the old/lower number was without cooling fan shroud? I don't know why the weight would have gone up over time.

Reactions: SmartElectric