Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simulated regen braking option?

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucket22 View Post
    My question is whether folks think it would be technically feasible and desirable to have a simulated regen braking option, where the car slows as it normally does when one takes one's foot off the accelerator, even if the energy created by the slowing isn't being captured by the too-cold battery.
    It would be very tricky to do this and get it right. Tesla could burn though a lot of R&D dollars doing this--perhaps as much as the motor design. One of the great things about Telsas is that the braking system and the motor and drive train are separate. This makes the car very robust and probably takes $10,000 or more off of the price of the car. Right now Tesla basically purchases brakes and installs them. It's a known quantity and not much has to be done for design and testing. To do the combined bit, they would have to develop their own braking system, and if they had a couple of reviews/incidents where there were brake problems, they would likely never recover.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    I think a much more obvious warning about reduced generation (that is linked to driver profile and could be turned off) would get us most of the way there.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

I find myself always mentioning to friends that I let drive my car to "remember you may have to use the brakes"..... its just a question of when. Certainly cold with limited regen is one of those times, as is panic stopping. But even stoplights sometimes need brakes, but not always.

Not a problem to me as YOU drive the car (and make it stop) not the computers. Use brakes when you need to and always be prepared to.

Quote Originally Posted by stevezzzz View Post
    Yeah, but we're wasting the pads anyway.
    I'm not buying all this "saving brake pads" stuff (not directing this at you, stevezzzz. Just a general comment). My '09 Cadillac CTS has over 75,000 miles and is on the original pads and rotors. No brake repairs have ever been required (although I have had them inspected and cleaned). Maybe re-gen will extend brake life from 4 years to 6, but is this really that big a deal?

S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13 jerry33's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mknox View Post
    Maybe re-gen will extend brake life from 4 years to 6, but is this really that big a deal?
    More like 10-15 years in my experience. Neither my 2001 nor 2004 Prius have ever required brake pads and there is still a ton left (100,000/145,000 miles). There was a picture posted a few years ago with a Prius with 180,000+ miles on it and the brake pads looked like new. Here is an article from a Canadian Taxi company. The relevant quote, "We change the brakes on a Toyota Corolla every seven to eight weeks, but on a Prius we change the brakes every 18 months or so". Regenerative braking really does reduce brake wear.
    1. Do not copy anything that I post outside of the TMC forum without permission.
    2. Any advice or opinions posted here are to be taken as my personal opinions only. There is no implied warranty, fitness for purpose, or official statements from any company I may have been or am affiliated with.
    3. Even the best recommendations are wrong when used inappropriately.

Thread Information