Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate control: Torso fan strength

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When the fan (at 8) is directed to the torso alone, I find it to be very strong. But when I add either the front windshield or foot option, the torso fan strength becomes very anemic. Anyone else noticing this?

Isn't that true of all cars? If I select the dash vents (I assume that's what you mean by torso) in any of my cars, they blow very hard, but if I select dash with front defrost or dash with floor, the output is split and the volume of air coming from the dash is halved.

Isn't that true of all cars? If I select the dash vents (I assume that's what you mean by torso) in any of my cars, they blow very hard, but if I select dash with front defrost or dash with floor, the output is split and the volume of air coming from the dash is halved.

Yes, but this feels like much less than halved. Maybe I'm imagining it, but I've noticed it a few times now.

I believe it is designed to do this way. Foot heat or defrost heat is assumed to be more important than torso/vent. Heat rises, thus foot heat is more efficient. There is usually a small amount of air going to the window vent even when it is off with most ICE cars. I have not checked the S but mine behaves as if a small amount of heat is going up all the time.
With AC I don't think there is the same designed bleed to defrost.

By the way painters tape could be placed along the middle portion of the defrost vent to increase the portion going to the edges.

Maybe I'm imagining things, but if you have the front defrost button on, you can play with the air flow buttons all you like, but you aren't going to get any air flow (or hardly any) out of the dash vents. If you have the defrost button off and select the windshield and dash vents at the same time, you get some air out of the dash vents.