Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Humming sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think i have seen something about this in the forums but i can't seem to find it now. I have noticed that when the car is on and Media is muted, climate control off (in other words, should be quiet in the car) I hear a humming type sound (could also be characterized as low frequency static) coming from the front (seems just behind the 17" screen). It almost sounds like it could be a pump running or something like that and i can't remember if it was doing this from the start or not. Now that i have noticed it I hear it all the time. anyone else notice this type of noise?

Last edited:
Znino,

I remember reading that many owners were able to get rid of the hum (if it is the same as yours) by reducing the intensity of the ambient lighting (0 / off to 20%).

That may be a first test to try.

No, that's a different sound. The ambiant light sound is a buzzing and yes indeed, we can get rid of that. I put the screen intensity to 100% which in turn puts the ambiant light to 100% and the buzz goes away (ambiant light doesnt like to be dimmed). This is more of a humming or static type sound from the front.

Are you referring perhaps to the cooling fan for the electronics? I'm not certain that's what it is, but it sounds like a soft CPU fan.

There's also the faint sound of the air compressor when you start up, but I think the cooling fan(s) may be what you're hearing.