Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outstanding article on Tesla marketing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model S: The Disruptive Marketing of an Electric Car Science of Revenue

Edit: I re-read it. It's not just interesting. It's pretty outstanding actually. Changing Title.

Edit2: Best Tesla article ever? He certainly hits all of the high notes, and there are a lot of them. I'll forgive mentions of not being able to take a road trip because its a mostly true comment in the absence of a good SuperCharger network. And he does mention SuperChargers, even if he doesn't explain their purpose.

Last edited:
Agreed. Outstanding article that is to the point and states opinion based off of fact. Anytime from now that I run into someone who hasn't heard of the company I'm going to direct them to this article since its not too long and gives all of the most important information. Good authors can do that.

Great article. You can see the results of Tesla's marketing efforts in the comments posted after online articles, even the negative articles. More and more people seem to understand and appreciate what Tesla is doing. I see a shift toward the positive even in the past few months. The naysayers are fading away. If Tesla has a solid first quarter this year, the effect will be very powerful indeed.

Remarkable similarity (even using the same photo) to this article already in discussion: Some-Mind-Blowing-Facts-About-Tesla-Motors

Ironic that the author is based in Austin, Tx.

The author really understands Tesla well. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a member of the TMC or has a close friend who is a member.

The author of the Forbes article specifically says that he is a fan of Tesla.

Agreed. Outstanding article that is to the point and states opinion based off of fact. Anytime from now that I run into someone who hasn't heard of the company I'm going to direct them to this article since its not too long and gives all of the most important information. Good authors can do that.

I read it more than once just because I was so impressed by how concise it was. I've been writing articles for years, but I am extremely prone to bloviation.

He was stringing together major points, sentence after sentence where I would have just spammed out entire paragraphs or whole chapters and been patting myself on my back while my reader was left choking on the shear volume of it (this sentence as an example).

I was just very, very impressed.

Tesla Model S: The Disruptive Marketing of an Electric Car Science of Revenue

Edit: I re-read it. It's not just interesting. It's pretty outstanding actually. Changing Title.

Edit2: Best Tesla article ever? He certainly hits all of the high notes, and there are a lot of them. I'll forgive mentions of not being able to take a road trip because its a mostly true comment in the absence of a good SuperCharger network. And he does mention SuperChargers, even if he doesn't explain their purpose.

I think this small sentence (inability to go on a roadtrip) is highly misleading. Forum members have already driven across the country without a supercharger network. Sure you have to plan your roadtrip, but the model S is quite capable. This bullet point makes it appear that Tesla's marketing/sales goal is harder than it is. If the S didn't have the capability to complete a road trip it would not have won all the awards the article references.

It just goes to show how the general public still doesn't fully understand the full capabilities of the MS and what Tesla has committed to their products DNA.

I agreed with the blog's point that the MS isn't as good as an ICE for a road-trip. The charging network simply isn't as dense as the gas station network, today, and charging will never be as fast as refueling an ICE. Even thought SCs make the Tahoe--LA trip very feasible, it's still much faster to do in an ICE than a Model S.

Larry's comment is exactly on-point, though: why is the ability to take a road-trip a relevant metric? How often do people do this anymore? Growing up, we took these long driving vacations (fueled by 29-cent gas), but I don't know any of my contemporaries who have done anything similar with their kids these days. I certainly don't.