Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car Care: What is the best way to dry car after a wash?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That other thread is mostly about taking the car to a car wash. For those of us who wash our own cars....

I have a stack of white cloth lint-free diapers that I use to dry my cars after washing.

My detailer with over 20 years of experience taught me how to do it. Don't use a chamois, as it will just collect dirt (they turn black for a reason) and rub it back into the paint.

Starting with a diaper in each hand (I'm left-handed), and use your leading hand to take off most of the water (using my left hand). Then follow it up with your other hand (and dry the section more thoroughly).

When the leading hand diaper gets too wet, put it down, transfer the right hand diaper to the left hand, pick up a new diaper in your right hand and keep going. When they get wet, discard and repeat the process. Cycle the diapers through from right to left hand until you work your way around the car. Turn diapers over as necessary if they pick up dirt that didn't get washed off to avoid rubbing it into the paint. Use a fresh diaper to dry off the glass so it doesn't leave water marks (I tend to do this first before drying the painted areas).

I can dry a car this way using 5-8 diapers, depending on the size of the car. After you're done, launder the diapers for next time. In fact, the diapers get "Broken in" after a few washes and get even softer to use...

This method has worked fine for me for several years, and has kept our cars looking great...

I hope that helps....

Title says it all :smile:

What is the best way to dry car after a wash?

Having owned several Ferraris, two of which were black, I became somewhat of an expert on hand-washing. Doing the wrong thing, such as washing your car with a "car washing sponge," can quickly degrade the finish on a fine car, especially if it's a dark color. (Use a lambswool wash mitt instead, and launder it after EVERY use with a little bit of detergent.) As for drying, there are now synthetic chamois cloths available that work very well. The one I like is called "Hydra-Wipe" and is available at most auto parts stores. Buy several of them, and throw them in the washing machine after each use. No need to dry them. Just roll it up and put it back in its protective tube.

Check out this fluffy micro fiber towels from Chemical Guys. Chemical Guys MIC_1995 - Woolly Mammoth Microfiber Dryer Towel (25 x 36)
I pad the car dry instead of rubbing so as not to scratch the surface. Check out the hand held blower too. It's great to blow dry places the towels can't reach. Finally I use the Eco Waterless Detail to remove any water spots with some orange 16 X 16 orange micro fiber.
Hope that helps

I just use the following little Blaster blower to blow dry my motorcycles and car.

SideKick Quick Draw Motorcycle Dryer, METRO-SK-1, Motorcycle parts.

View attachment 14909

Using a blower is very interesting. It makes sense since that is what automated car washes do and there are no scratch or lint issues. I am thinking that I will try to use my shop vac that can be converted to a blower.

Has anyone try using a leaf blower or reversible shop vac to dry their cars?

Using a blower is very interesting. It makes sense since that is what automated car washes do and there are no scratch or lint issues. I am thinking that I will try to use my shop vac that can be converted to a blower.

Has anyone try using a leaf blower or reversible shop vac to dry their cars?

I use my shop vac, but it's not really powerful enough for the entire car (it is one of the most powerful vacs available). It's great for squeezing the water out of the various cracks and seals though. I've not tried my leaf blower yet, but now that I've treated my wife's car with Opti Coat, that'll be the next thing I try.

Put a few ml of wetting agent in a bucket of warm water. Throw over car (keep a firm hold of bucket) and watch the water just drain off. Leave for 10 minutes (depending on humidity/temperature) and then dry off any drips from door edges, gutters etc with a towel. Alternatively, drive the car round the block to get rid of as much water as possible and then hand dry any drips. I use wetting agent manufactured as the final wash when developing film (Ilford, Agfa, Paterson). a 1ltr bottle of wetting agent will make 200ltr of water. Cost about $17 a litre.​

I just use the following little Blaster blower to blow dry my motorcycles and car.

SideKick Quick Draw Motorcycle Dryer, METRO-SK-1, Motorcycle parts.

View attachment 14909

hah, I have the electrical duster version of this for my computer. I think thats only about .5HP and it's got a pretty hefty blow to it. I can't imagine what a one almost 3 times more powerful would be like. FYI the site you linked shows it at $110, but it's on Amazon.com for $76 (no tax in most states and free shipping w\ Amazon prime!) http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-...TF8&qid=1358778087&sr=1-1&keywords=METRO-SK-1

They also have a 4HP version of it that doubles as a vacuum ... might be worth it? gotta be crazy powerful! http://www.amazon.com/Metropolitan-...ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1358778323&sr=1-2

Looks like they got one for a dog too LOL http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Force-S...METRO+AIR+FORCE+QUICK+DRAW+DOG+GROOMING+DRYER

Don't touch it at all after rinse:
http://www.crspotless.com/

I was skeptical at first - use it a few times and you'll believe!! I think the hardest part was having faith and not touch the car after rinsing it off.

hmmm I don't know, I kinda want to show my car off at the local car wash and watch all the people drool over it haha

seems like a pretty steep price IMHO anyway.

I use this and it works amazingly well. It soaks up everything quickly:
Chemical Guys MIC_1995 - Woolly Mammoth Microfiber Dryer Towel (25 x 36)
OPENWITHCORNERFOLDED.jpg

For window streaks I use this

Chemical Guys MIC_1024_3 - Ultra Plush Super Quality Microfiber Towel, Grey 24 (3 Pack)

I usually do a quick 1 mile run up to about 70 mph to blow off as much water as possible. This also helps to get a lot of the water out of the grooves, door jams, etc, which results in less drips that have to be dried later on. When I pull into my driveway, I can usually dry the entire car with a single micro-fiber towel (yellow Costco variety). The less any towel has to be run across body panels, the better.

We have *super* hard water here in San Diego, and unless it's sunny and 85°+ (and I usually don't wash my car in those conditions), this results in no water spots.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't touch it at all after rinse:
http://www.crspotless.com/

I was skeptical at first - use it a few times and you'll believe!! I think the hardest part was having faith and not touch the car after rinsing it off.

Or, the poor man's version:
Mr. Clean AutoDry Starter System