Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got SunPass working yet? (Florida)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on my experiences in the last few days on i95 and at MIA, the new 'small' transferrable SunPass does NOT work when fastened to the right of the mirror. I had to hold it out of the window to get it to work at the airport. I've just bought a new 'peel and stick' version to try that.

Anyone got a SunPass to work yet?

are tolls free with electric/hybrids? how do you sign up for the free setup?

Just 95 Express is free. The Turnpike, 836 etc. still have to be paid. This is why aviators99 suggests not getting the sticky transponder because it has to be covered up when going through 95 Express if you want to avoid paying.

The way to get on 95 Express for free is, you have to first register your car as a hybrid, which gives you eligibility to go in the HOV lanes (in north Broward and south Palm Beach on 95) -- these are the ugly blue stickers you see on the right hand rear windows of many hybrids. Once you have that registration you just go online to 95 Express and give them the information and they send you a sticker for the inside lower front left windshield that allows you to go on 95 Express without paying.

thanks..

I ride 95 express everyday to Miami and back, about $150/month... gas savings is another $250/month as my garage is pretty bad with efficiency, so I'll take the $400/month, doesn't quite make up for spending $100k+ plus on the Tesla, but $ is $... :)

picking up my Model S in two hours!

With that stable of cars, do you really care about tolls? Or mabye that's where all the $ went. :wink: (nice collection by the way)

thanks..

I ride 95 express everyday to Miami and back, about $150/month... gas savings is another $250/month as my garage is pretty bad with efficiency, so I'll take the $400/month, doesn't quite make up for spending $100k+ plus on the Tesla, but $ is $... :)

picking up my Model S in two hours!
Fortunately I don't have to drive on toll roads regularly and I too was unaware EVs got preferential treatment other than HOV lane exemption. My Model S Performance is my first "super car" Yours will be a nice addition to your garage with those other hot cars. Enjoy!

I look forward to some comparisons with your others regarding handling & performance after you have some time with the Tesla.

Based on my experiences in the last few days on i95 and at MIA, the new 'small' transferrable SunPass does NOT work when fastened to the right of the mirror. I had to hold it out of the window to get it to work at the airport. I've just bought a new 'peel and stick' version to try that.

Anyone got a SunPass to work yet?

Hi Nick,

No.

I tried mounting the "sticky" SunPass to the right of the rear view mirror, and a few days ago I learned unfortunately that it doesn't work. I'll be following Ron's advice and purchasing the small portable pass and mounting it underneath the rear view mirror.

Does anyone know whether I can transfer the money on the old pass to a new pass?

Larry

Hi Nick,

No.

I tried mounting the "sticky" SunPass to the right of the rear view mirror, and a few days ago I learned unfortunately that it doesn't work. I'll be following Ron's advice and purchasing the small portable pass and mounting it underneath the rear view mirror.

Does anyone know whether I can transfer the money on the old pass to a new pass?

Larry

Hey Larry,

You can pseudo-transfer. You have to login to Sunpass.com and disable the old one and request a refund to the credit card (it actually doesn't have to be the same credit card you used to fund it, believe it or not).

In case you didn't read my latest regarding the Sunpass Slim, it doesn't actually work below the mirror. I was lucky that it worked two times in a row, and it has been about 50/50 since then, and it doesn't work at certain tolls ever. I *can* get 100% by holding exactly as follows (this can't be mounted, and you have to hold it with one hand):

1) The Slim is held horizontally
2) The left end of the Slim is against the right side of the mirror mount (the much shorter side), as far as it can go without passing the mirror mount post
3) The right end of the slim is against the window to the right of the mirror mount.

It's a freaking pain in the ass...

Hey Larry,

You can pseudo-transfer. You have to login to Sunpass.com and disable the old one and request a refund to the credit card (it actually doesn't have to be the same credit card you used to fund it, believe it or not).

In case you didn't read my latest regarding the Sunpass Slim, it doesn't actually work below the mirror. I was lucky that it worked two times in a row, and it has been about 50/50 since then, and it doesn't work at certain tolls ever. I *can* get 100% by holding exactly as follows (this can't be mounted, and you have to hold it with one hand):

1) The Slim is held horizontally
2) The left end of the Slim is against the right side of the mirror mount (the much shorter side), as far as it can go without passing the mirror mount post
3) The right end of the slim is against the window to the right of the mirror mount.

It's a freaking pain in the ass...

Thanks Ron,

Bummer. I'm wondering whether the "sticky" pass can be mounted inside the nose cone.

Larry

I too can confirm that the SunPass mini sticker does not work when adhered to the right of the rear view stalk in the area that Tesla says has no coating. Interestingly my developments RFID tag works fine just above that spot. I am 100% successful with the gate pass and 0% successful with the SunPass.

I had the sunpass mounted in the nose.
It does not work.
It does work directly under the rear view mirror.
If you keep your sunpass account updated ,you get billed the same when your plate gets read at the toll,
Without the sunpass even in the car.

In the next few weeks, might look at creatively mounting the Sunpass into the open grille in front (immediately underneath the nosecone perhaps) once we further investigate mounting a concealed radar detector in the same general area, hoping a custom shop can provide some direction on this...