Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Converted Lotus Elises - ECE, Detroit Electric

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

doug

Administrator / Head Moderator
Administrator
VIDEO: Dutch firms begin flood of electric cars with converted Lotus Elises - AutoblogGreen

ece-electric-lotuses.jpg

Detroit Electric makes an electric Elise?

Alternative Energy: Driving The Detroit Electric Lotus Elise And Proton Persona
Partnering with Malaysian automaker Proton (the parent company of Lotus), Detroit Electric is attempting to revive itself by electrifying cars like this Lotus Elise and some Proton sedans and hatchbacks. The Detroit Electric Elise sports a 200 HP electric motor and a range of 200 miles from a 6.5 hour charge; in other words, the Tesla Roadster, which is also based on the Elise, had better watch its back.
Detroit_Electric_Lotus.jpg

Here's another:
DRIVEN: Detroit Electric’s electric Lotus Elise

Let's see the specs:
Based on the Lotus Elise
150kW (200hp) motor
0-100km/h (0-62mph) in 4.3 seconds
220km/h (137 mph) top speed
325km (202 mile) range
200,000km (124k miles) expected life of battery

Hmm, what car does that sound like?
Edit: Ironically, after watching the videos, I noticed the car literally sounded exactly the same as the Tesla Roadster.

240v 10A charges it in 6.5 hours. (fishy numbers 240*10*6.5 = 15.6kWh, should be impossible to travel 200 miles with just 15.6kWh, that's just 78Wh/mi)
240v 35A in 3.5 hours. (This one gets 240*35*3.5=29.4kWh, bit more believable)
240v 100A charges it to 80% in 10-15 minutes.

The engineer claims his motor is revolutionary because it is it makes 5kW per kg, while typical motors make 0.25kW per kg. The Tesla's motor makes a peak of at least 250hp=186kW, weights ~70lbs=32kg, so 5.8kW per kg.

Anyways perhaps this will be a less expensive version of the Tesla Roadster.

Edit: An interesting point is the electric Lotus Elise prototype seems to have kept the standard transmission from the original Elise. There is a clutch and at least three gears (I assume it has 5 gears, but the author only talked about shifting to third gear). I wonder how long a standard gearbox will last used this way.

Last edited:
Detroit Electric returns

Can't belive we have not discussed this company's rebirth here yet. [Edit: Turns out this entire thread never mentioned my search term "Detroit Electric"]

This post puts them in Tesla territory.

From Martin's Blog (fridge page)
Dear Martin,
you might not remember me, but I was the global CEO of Lotus Engineering right up until Oct2007.. We have met in England in April 2007. I am now running Detroit-Electric.. I would love to invite you to try out our technology.. we have 7 pre-production sports cars running in Europe. We plans to go into volume production by June 2009
here is some technical specification.
0-60 mph under 4 sec
top speed : 230km
range per charge (normal drive cycle): 320km
13A charging takes 8 hours
32A charging takes 3.5 hours
150kw air-cool motor
advanced LiPO battery - operating range +70 C to -20C (air-cool)
Comment by Albert Lam November 16, 2008 @ 4:36 am

Last edited:
My guess:
200km range
150kw peak power
0-100kmh less than 5 sec
Top speed 215 km/h
10 hour recharge at 16 amps
4 hour recharge at 32 amps
Price: €128.750
So it's not as good as a Roadster but a lot more expensive. Unless "Versnellingen" is something really cool :wink:

And another:

Press releases - E-world energy & water
Electric Lotus - Hall 3, Booth 218, Essent / Kom-Strom AG
A Lotus Elise cabriolet driven by a 200 hp electric motor will be presented. The lithium accumulators dispense energy for a driving distance up to 300 km. The acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h takes four seconds and the top speed is 215 km/h. The vehicle weighs 990 kg and the accumulators approx. 300 kg.
Essent / Kom-Strom AG
Marktgalerie l Markt 11, D-04109 Leipzig
Tel.: +49.(0)2181.61410
e-mail: [email protected]
http://www.kom-strom.de/get.php?f=8...session=4bb02b2db0d50419d61c8707ea200ff2&dl=1

innosysengineering.com Home
...a consortium of Electric Cars Europe (ECE), United Momentum Group, Essent and Innosys Delft BV announced an extensive collaboration to further the introduction of electric powered cars...

Initially, the consortium plans to sell a number of converted Lotus Elises...

The Electric Car Company, together with the United Momentum Group, Essent and Innosys Delft BV are working hard to expedite the availability of electric transport as fast as possible and to provide sustainable and cost effective transport...

eday001_s.jpg

lotuskooyumg.jpg