Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

RECURRING EVENT: Cars & Coffee at duPont Registry in St. Petersburg

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Larry Chanin

President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts
Aug 22, 2011
Sarasota, Florida
Hi,

This morning I took my Model S over to the Cars & Coffee event at duPont Registry Magazine in Saint Petersburg, Florida. I went with forum member Ken Stokes and my buddy Bill (a Corvette owner) who both are "car guys". I've never been a "car guy" so this was a novel experience for me. The event is informal and free and lots of exotic cars show their stuff there. It is held from 7:00-9:00AM on every third Saturday at 3051 Tech Drive, St. Petersburg, FL. I went to "scope" things out for a possible club event for club members in the Tampa/Sarasota region.

To be assured a good parking spot the organizers recommend getting there before 7:00AM. Well, I'm not much of a morning person, but I had to get up at 5:00AM to make it over to St. Pete at a reasonable hour. Nevertheless, we arrived at 7:30AM and cars were parked all the waaay down the street by then. I figured I shouldn't have trouble playing DUMB so I glided the Model S over to the front near the premium spots and asked the General Manager of the event, "Am I too late to get a parking spot?" He looked at the Model S and his face lit up with a look of recognition as if I were his long-lost brother. "Sure", he said, "follow me." I followed to a reserved spot he moved the parking cone and we pulled in across from the Rolls Royces and Lamborghinis, and the crowds moved from the Lambo over to the Model S. :redface:

Larry at Cars and Coffee.jpg

Larry and the duPont Registry crowds.jpg

Larry and the duPont Registry crowds 2.jpg

Although I doubt that I can sneek a half dozen or so Model S' in late in the future, how many Florida Tesla Motors Club members would be interested in meeting at duPont Registry EARLY (before 7:00AM) on February 16th?

Larry

Last edited:
Larry, I actually considered going this morning. I'm probably good for next time. Perhaps we can get all parked together?

Hi Gavin,

Getting them parked together would require that everyone arrive early, i.e. before 7:00AM. For those of us in Sarasota that would mean getting on the road no later than 5:45AM. As I said a tough thing to do if you're like me and not a morning person. :redface:

Larry

Last edited:
If we get enough Model S' together, we can have our own category at car shows ;)

....but then how would they be judged over one another?!?

I don't mind battling other Pontiacs with the 68 Firebird 400 Convertible... but Tesla on Tesla?

If we get enough Model S' together, we can have our own category at car shows ;)

....but then how would they be judged over one another?!?

I don't mind battling other Pontiacs with the 68 Firebird 400 Convertible... but Tesla on Tesla?

Hi Liam,

As far as I know this is not a car show with prizes, but just a social gathering.

Larry

Hi,

This morning I took my Model S over to the Cars & Coffee event at duPont Registry Magazine in Saint Petersburg, Florida.

Although I doubt that I can sneek a half dozen or so Model S' in late in the future, how many Florida Tesla Motors Club members would be interested in meeting at duPont Registry EARLY (before 7:00AM) on February 16th?

Larry

I'd be up for it some other month. Traveling that wknd in Feb. Scope out any good charging around? I'd probably need 2 hrs of J1772 or NEMA 14-50 to get back to the other side of the state reasonably fast.

Larry
Larry, we could do Feb 16th. I don't like getting up early either, but it would be more fun to go to the event while Tesla is still relatively unknown in the car world. That's changing rapidly!

Fellow Club Members in the Tampa/Sarasota area,

I know a number of you have recently received your Model S and are anxious to show it off. Every third Saturday of the month the duPont Registry Magazine hosts a free event called Cars & Coffee. It is an informal gathering of classic, luxury and exotic cars for car enthusiasts.

I have discussed the attendance of about 6 or so of our club members with the General Manager of the event and he can arrange to have about 6 adjacent spaces reserved for members of our club. There's a catch: WE HAVE TO GET THERE BEFORE 7:00AM or he can't guarantee the spots will be available.

Where: duPont Registry
3501 Tech Drive
St. Petersburg, FL 33716

Date: Saturday, February 16th

When: Before 7:00AM
ends 9:00AM

Those who can't make it there before 7:00AM will probably not be able to display their cars, but you can probably find street parking and join those members who are displaying as well as check out the other exotic cars.

For those of you who are interested in attending, please let me know as soon as possible, but no later than February 9th.

I look forward to seeing you.

Larry

P.S. The above posting is directed to folks who would like to display their cars. We also welcome other folks in the area to join us.

I sent an email to the General Manager of the Cars & Coffee event to reserve 7 spots for us. I haven't received an acknowledgement, but I don't anticipate a problem. I'll reach out again to him to confirm in a few days.

I've received responses from 7 club members who intend to display their cars and I believe that is all the display parking spaces we can reasonably expect duPont to reserve, assuming we arrive before 7:00AM. People who have confirmed a spot but arrive later than 7:00AM will be able to view the cars, but you will have to park on the street and you won't be able to display your car.

I want to let other club members, or other local Tesla enthusiasts, to know that we welcome them to join us to chat at the display area, but the original 7 spots are accounted for and there won't be any more spaces to display additional cars.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me directly at [email protected].

Larry Chanin
Founder, Florida Tesla Motors Club