Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Presidential Energy Policy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
McCain recently accused Obama of rehashing the same old failed energy policies from the 1970s. By contrast, McCain wants to rehash the same old failed energy policies from the 1980s. So here's my thumbnail guide to presidential energy policy:

Carter: We must conserve and research alternate energy.

Reagan: We must drill our way out of this problem.

Bush 1: We must protect our friends in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.

Clinton: Energy what?

Bush 2: Our clan is strong. We take what we need.

On the whole, I think each policy has been less effective than the previous one.

McCain recently accused Obama of rehashing the same old failed energy policies from the 1970s. By contrast, McCain wants to rehash the same old failed energy policies from the 1980s. So here's my thumbnail guide to presidential energy policy:

Bush 2: Our clan is strong. We take what we need.

This one really gave me a chuckle... it might be true or it might be more like Bush 1 but still, funny still.

Cobos

Reagan took the panels off the roof of the Whitehouse. However, I never learned what reason was given for taking them down. Whatever people may think of Carter, he had the right approach to dealing with energy issues. IMHO, had the research into alternative sources of energy continued in a sincere and effective manner, our reliance on oil might have been minimized greatly!

A very positive article. I wasn't voting back then but in reading this I liked him. It said he was wearing his favorite sweater, not that we should.

Yes, but perceptions change over time. That was a very kind article that was written before things got particularly bad... before the "malaise" set in. People who worked in government buildings froze their butts during those DC winters.

Carter also emphasized conservation. "Put on a sweater!!"
Warm Words from Jimmy Cardigan - TIME

Rightly or wrongly, Carter's conservation policy became defined as "freezing in the dark". It was seen as being all about sacrifice, not so much about efficiency.

Of course there is a gray area in conservation. . . There are things we've become accustomed to that we could, if we were honest, give up without any real pain -- or in some cases we'd actually be better off without them.