Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18 hours of ownership, one night out, one epiphany

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I've got a couple pics, and a few notes from the first 18 hours of ownership.

The Delivery

My car was originally scheduled to be sent up to Bellevue, WA then back down here to Camas, WA which would have probably added at least a day to the delivery (likely two). With some luck, and some awesome thinking by the Portland DS Ciaran, my car was dropped in Portland, and instead of sticking it back on the truck, Ciaran took a look at the address and told the driver to just leave the car there so he could take it out to me himself. So I ended up getting the 'classic' delivery treatment, complete with over an hour of DS show-and-tell for the car.​

IMG_1890.jpg
Sitting on the trailer on a cool clear morning

IMG_1892.jpg
Just pulled off the truck​

Our first drive

Our first 'real' drive was last night was into Portland for a company dinner/party. The car was *flawless*, navigation system using google maps integration is brilliantly done.

Quick aside on the navigation system: I know there have been some detractors, but something I failed to appreciate until I actually used it is the seamless integration of several different systems. Google maps which allows you to search using Google.. (type portland city grill.. up it pops, tap 'Navigate' and it sends the address to the native turn-by-turn Navigation application in the dash). Let's face it.. Navigation systems are horrible at one thing.. getting the destination POI address, whatever *entered* into it. And Google Maps by itself is not a 'real' navigation system, and cannot be used offline. Tesla has solved this problem in a very elegant way.​

As we got close to the restaurant we needed specific parking instructions, so we tapped 'call' on the maps app, and it was done, quick and easy.

General thoughts

Homelink: Homelink was easy to set up using the trick of holding the garage door opener *inside* the open frunk (where is that TMC FAQ???). Even our DS didn't know this one. it took 25 seconds to pair the first one, and I sheepishly suggested he try opening the frunk and hold the remote down in there. He did, and it paired almost instantly.

Driving & Performance: Steering mode and suspension have definitely improved since my last test drive. Last time even on 'Sport' the steering wheel didn't feel responsive enough for me. Now, even standard has a nice responsive feel to it. Suspension also seemed tighter than with the test drive car.

Software: We have firmware version 4.1 so we had the pano roof opening issue. Ciaran said that was a known issue, and that using the steering wheel to open the pano roof works every time.. we tried, yep.. sure did, sure also is a nice way to confirm if your pano root issues are software, or physical.​

Two final impressions

First, after experiencing the treatment from Ciaran, Laura, Andrew, Ken (all amazingly helpful Tesla folks) it struck me yesterday why it's OK that my car was delayed from it's initial delivery. Tesla does not, under any circumstances, want to make you an owner before *they* are completely ready to take care of you in a way that should make you really 'get' it. There were so many things that these folks have done for me in just the past couple days that I can't even begin to list them. I really wanted them to throw my car on the truck and send it up here a week ago, but that would have left me without a staff of people ready to help me. In my observation, this is exactly what happened to so many people at the end of the year during their big push, and I think they are trying to shore that up.

Second; EV cars.. I've never owned an EV, never owned a hybrid, and I don't consider myself an Environmental Extremist. That is not *the* reason I bought this car. It was one of the reasons, but not the major deciding factor. Coming home last night after a 58 mile drive (22 kWh used) I plugged the car into the charger realizing that for $1.76 (electricity is 8 cents / kW up here) I just drove all evening for pennies on the dollar. It struck me in the same way that using a digital camera for the first time after using film. I'm now liberated to do something I really enjoy (taking pictures/going places). Yes, the car (the camera) aren't free. But that's not what I'm paying for, I'm paying to be able to physically transport myself and my family to new places, different places, and that should eventually be all on the sun (or water!). I get it. I'm floored. Go Tesla.

John <><

Last edited:
Second; EV cars.. I've never owned an EV, never owned a hybrid, and I don't consider myself an Environmental Extremist. That is not *the* reason I bought this car. It was one of the reasons, but not the major deciding factor. Coming home last night after a 58 mile drive (22 kWh used) I plugged the car into the charger realizing that for $1.76 (electricity is 8 cents / kW up here) I just drove all evening for pennies on the dollar. It struck me in the same way that using a digital camera for the first time after using film. I'm now liberated to do something I really enjoy (taking pictures/going places). Yes, the car (the camera) aren't free. But that's not what I'm paying for, I'm paying to be able to physically transport myself and my family to new places, different places, and that should eventually be all on the sun. I get it. I'm floored. Go Tesla.

You live in WA so your car runs on water.

jhs,

Congrats! I just got mine up here two days ago, so indeed our cars got shipped up from the factory on the same transport. I'm glad you got the full DS experience. I did as well and it was great.

Folks living in places like CA and AZ with solar can easily claim their cars runs on sunlight. Up here in the PNW we can claim ours run on rain. :)

great post - i always love reading these. And i'm very jealous of the folks who can claim their car runs on sunlight (or water!). I can't wait for virginia to get with the program on these things so if nothing else, i can put solar panels up on my house and not have it be prohibitively expensive. Of course, from the recent news it sounds like my state is going backwards! (double charge EV owners for road maintenance...)

Great write-up John! I've had almost the exact same experience/epiphany with my Model S. My delivery wasn't quite as good, but it was still more than acceptable.

I had an interesting conversation with a friend last night about how the Model S "turns on." She's a bright person (great physical therapist) but it took her a few minutes, and a careful explanation, to grasp the concept that so many of the "necessary" parts of driving (i.e. getting an engine running before you can drive) are simply accommodations to the ICE that we no longer need in the EV era.

- Phil

Last edited:
Congrats on the new Model S! It looks great!

Second; EV cars.. I've never owned an EV, never owned a hybrid, and I don't consider myself an Environmental Extremist. That is not *the* reason I bought this car. It was one of the reasons, but not the major deciding factor. Coming home last night after a 58 mile drive (22 kWh used) I plugged the car into the charger realizing that for $1.76 (electricity is 8 cents / kW up here) I just drove all evening for pennies on the dollar. It struck me in the same way that using a digital camera for the first time after using film. I'm now liberated to do something I really enjoy (taking pictures/going places). Yes, the car (the camera) aren't free. But that's not what I'm paying for, I'm paying to be able to physically transport myself and my family to new places, different places, and that should eventually be all on the sun (or water!). I get it. I'm floored. Go Tesla.

This is one of the reasons I wish I could be part of the EV revolution sooner. My Honda Civic sedan returns about 30 MPG combined in real world driving (26 city, 40 highway), so 58 typical miles of driving for me is just under 2 gallons of fuel. With gasoline priced between $3.50 and $4.00/gallon in 2012, the cost for me to drive that 58 miles is $7-$8. It's pretty amazing that a big luxury car like the Model S can be much less expensive to operate than a compact econobox.

For a luxury car buyer who is paying a lot for a car anyways, the long-term savings of driving a Model S are very substantial.

Two final impressions

First, after experiencing the treatment from Ciaran, Laura, Andrew, Ken (all amazingly helpful Tesla folks) it struck me yesterday why it's OK that my car was delayed from it's initial delivery. Tesla does not, under any circumstances, want to make you an owner before *they* are completely ready to take care of you in a way that should make you really 'get' it. There were so many things that these folks have done for me in just the past couple days that I can't even begin to list them. I really wanted them to throw my car on the truck and send it up here a week ago, but that would have left me without a staff of people ready to help me. In my observation, this is exactly what happened to so many people at the end of the year during their big push, and I think they are trying to shore that up.

John <><

This is a great analogy so hope I can 'borrow' it=) While one shouldn't waste energy, it is just like you said. With film, you have to really think if taking a shot was worth it but with digital, it almost feels like taking an image is free. Same for driving electric for me. I realize there is still a decent energy cost to driving electric but the 80% discount makes the math much easier.

Last edited:
Your epiphany reminds me of Jevons' Paradox, which says that as you make something more efficient, consumption goes up, not down. The efficiency of electric cars is so much greater than other cars, and the amount of miles people are willing to drive is practically bounded, so we're safe for now. But I do wonder what the impact of electric self driving cars will be on the planet - people will be willing to ride many more miles a year if they are all as cheap as EV miles and if something else is driving, freeing up their time...

Jevons paradox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I live in Seattle, too, and am having my solar array upgraded (adding 6 more panels to cover the car's needs). When my S arrives in Feb-March, it *WILL* be running entirely on sunlight! So it can be done (easily) even in rainy old Seattle.

I don't even have my (X) yet, but the solar panels here in Portland will be up and running sometime in the Winter. Even here in the PNW, we can run our cars on sunlight.

I had my solar PV system installed a couple of years ago. It generates more than enough to cover my Roadster's usage. Now that I've traded up to an S I'm adding 50% (another 2.38 kW) to my generating system's capacity to increase the surplus I apply toward my home energy bill.

Your epiphany reminds me of Jevons' Paradox, which says that as you make something more efficient, consumption goes up, not down. The efficiency of electric cars is so much greater than other cars, and the amount of miles people are willing to drive is practically bounded, so we're safe for now. But I do wonder what the impact of electric self driving cars will be on the planet - people will be willing to ride many more miles a year if they are all as cheap as EV miles and if something else is driving, freeing up their time...

Jevons paradox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I wouldn't be too sure of this. Last month we had a beautiful day, with fresh snow, and I took a two-hour purely recreational drive in the New England countryside. Literally a Sunday-afternoon drive. I would never have taken such a trip in an conventional car.

Me too. I've driven to the Huntsville supercharger from Houston, getting off the interstate and going 45 mph on the country roads with the windows down, several times. Love driving this car.

Yeah. I went to Oklahoma (of all places) last night just because -- to go to McGehee Catfish Restaurant & Airport to relive one of my favorite $100 hamburger trips. The 70-something weather certainly helped!

The flight would have cost almost $200, but only $6 in electricity (that's actually free to me because of the solar PV).

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1406942983.586585.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1406942983.586585.jpg
    964.4 KB · Views: 279
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1406943008.175957.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1406943008.175957.jpg
    560 KB · Views: 290