Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking on the street my be forbidden in 20-30 years

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking about the effects of autonomous cars esp. the fact that they can park themselves after the driver left the car (CES 2013 Audi A7 on youtube)
If this technology becomes mainstream it would make sense for the city to forbid parking on the streets which usually takes up one left line and one right line.
The cars could just drive themselves to an parking lot close by (1 miles radius)
That way there would be more space on the streets and therefore less traffic.

And for the people that still don't have this function in their cars in 30 years they would have to walk, but that would be a minority very quickly.
Kinda the same with the Greenzones in citys where old cars are not allowed to enter the city because of the bad emissions.

What are you guys thinking about that?
May that even come sooner than 20-30 years? maybe 15years?

This is a good example of a road that would benefit from that.
thirdstreet.jpe

Attachments

• DSC_8960.jpg
    DSC_8960.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 400
That way there would be more space on the streets and therefore less traffic.
The premise of that is dubious. More lanes do not necessarily improve traffic. And most of the areas where there's street parking available and few lanes tend to have less traffic. Prime example: neither of the pictures you have shown has any traffic despite lots of cars parked on both side. And don't forget, in residential areas, there's usually no parking lots and the traffic there is so low that there's no benefit in opening up an extra lane.

And don't forget, for liability reasons, autonomous cars are projected to still be required to have a "driver" in them.

I'll let a computer drive my car when they pry my warm dead hands from the steering wheel after a collision with an autonomous vehicle.

I can see it now. There are a few autonomous vehicle programs, and someone finds a 'exploit' and puts it on the web. Drive like this around a autonomous vehicle and it crashes or does something stupid. Then teens go get my non-autonomous car and prank a bunch of people. Hilarity and crashes ensue.

All our bank accounts are already online, credit cards etc. and still everything is pretty safe.

We have drone planes and they are pretty safe.
Yes you can manipulate such things, but you can also just manipulate normal cars. but its still very uncommon.
Its like "OMG I would never drive 80miles/h cus that can be super dangerous if someone throws a rock at me"

And you guys are also saying that the AUDI A7 concept of driverless parking is bullshit? and that googles development into autonomous cars is also bullshit?

These companies put a lot of thought and money in their technologies.

Its also pretty arrogant to assume a human can drive better than a computer, that is already not the case and in a few years that statement will be as laughable as
"A human can calculate better than a computer"

Thought here on TMC are more people that are optimistic in future technologies such as battery powered cars.

If Elon would think along those lines like you guys, this Forum and Tesla Motors would never exist.

All our bank accounts are already online, credit cards etc. and still everything is pretty safe.

Well they can drive 70mph and crash and kill me. Not even close analogy.

We have drone planes and they are pretty safe.

And while pilotless they are not not necessarily autonomous, a lot of these have pilots just flying by radio. And again not much to crash into up in the air. Closer but still not really close at all.

Yes you can manipulate such things, but you can also just manipulate normal cars. but its still very uncommon.
Its like "OMG I would never drive 80miles/h cus that can be super dangerous if someone throws a rock at me"

But that is the point. Will the computer see the kids with rocks on the side of the road? Will it recognize them? Will it change lanes to avoid that possible hazard? I can.

And you guys are also saying that the AUDI A7 concept of driverless parking is bullshit? and that googles development into autonomous cars is also bullshit?

Not really. Just that I don't think it will catch on in an urban non-interstate situation.

These companies put a lot of thought and money in their technologies.

And Honda as put tons of money into Asimo, and NASA/USA into going to the moon. But the goals of these projects wasn't sell humanoid robots, or exploit/colonize the moon. They were tasks for the sake of it. And knowing that the technology would trickle down into other things. Like making ICBMs.

Its also pretty arrogant to assume a human can drive better than a computer, that is already not the case and in a few years that statement will be as laughable as
"A human can calculate better than a computer"

No humans CAN drive better than computers at the moment. In the future than may may not be the case I agree for most driving. But accidents happen around the fringe. How will an autonomous car deal with ice? How will an autonomous car deal with standing water? How will an autonomous car deal with pedestrians, kids, and other erratically moving objects? How will they deal with animals? And most importantly how will they deal with other non-autonomous vehicles.

Thought here on TMC are more people that are optimistic in future technologies such as battery powered cars.

Well a lot of us on the forums, and probably almost all of the Roadster owners, really LIKE to drive. So would be opposed to having a computer take that away. I truly like to drive.

If Elon would think along those lines like you guys, this Forum and Tesla Motors would never exist.

I think Elon is someone who genuinely likes to drive also. That is why his cars are a pleasure to drive.

There are 3 scenarios where I think computers will never be 'good' at driving.

In neighborhoods where children are playing in the front yard. I can easily see and process if they are playing something that would cause them to dart into the street. Soccer with a goal towards the street, I need to be careful. Playing jump rope, not going to be a problem. If there are cars/bushes near the street they are likely to pop out between them, as they can't see well over objects. Not to mention I can see the faces of kids and their eyes and can tell if they are paying attention to my car or not. Sure these things can be programmed into a computer but they will never be as good as a human being.

In very dense urban environments with many many things to keep track of. Sure a computer can see 360 all of the time but will it pick up all the obstacles and gauge all of the appropriately? Will it ignore parked cars, or watch each individual one. I can tell by many factors if a parked car is about to move, person in the car, tail pipe putting out steam (this will change), car rocking a little from shifting occupants, seeing the person enter the car earlier. Can a computer make all those connections. Can a computer pick up a child, dog, or other erratically moving pedestrian out of a sea of pedestrians? Will it understand about white canes and know that person can't see?

In poor conditions. How does a computer gauge a puddle? How does it gauge ice? How does it gauge a limited sight turn? How does it gauge an emergency situation? What happens if a squirrel darts out in front of your car? What about a cat? What about a dog? What about a deer? I can tell you squirrels get different treatment than cats. And they depend on where I am and what is following me around. What about a crash?

Sure all of these things could be programmed for. But will it get all those cases 100% correct? And can it be programmed for ALL of those cases, and be able to run all that programming, and run it fast enough to make decisions? Will it know when it can and can't run off the road safely? Will it know when it can and can't hydroplane/skate safely?

The problem isn't that a computer can't drive better, the problem is that the programming will never be able to cover all the insane variability of tasks you have to handle while driving.

Another version of the future that addresses many of ElSupreme's concerns but is undesirable to many of us...

1. Surround the vehicles with nerf so that when they hit something it's not as big a deal.
2. Limit vehicle speed to 1mph.
3. Put fences around all roads so that there is no opportunity for distracted children and adults to get into trouble.

Seems reasonably safe in the general case. Why would anybody need to go more than 1mph or play in the street?

El Supreme, you are certainly correct that computers have a harder time recognizing the real world, and this is a disadvantage in a complex unstructured environment. But they do have advantages in being able to accurately determine ranges to objects, trajectories, etc.

On the other hand, humans aren't nearly as good at it as they think they are. They cannot maintain a high level of attention for long periods of time. They get tired. They get distracted. Never mind drunk.

The reality is people don't feel comfortable when they're not in control, and they're not going to accept autonomous vehicles until their safety record is 10,000X better than a human's. The first time an autonomous vehicle kills someone it will be international news. Meanwhile human-driven automobiles kill someone in the USA on average every 16 minutes.