Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to read electric meter screens after solar installed?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, this is a n00b question to fancy digital meters that can tally both used electricity from the power company and your solar output.

I typically have 3 screens that alternate on my meter. The total used kWh is self explanatory, as is the voltage reading. But I am a bit perplexed by how to read a couple of the other figures. Below are some example photos:

IMG_9352.jpg
IMG_9355.jpg
IMG_9356.jpg

I am assuming that the intermittent -88888 is some kind of system check or something?

And then there is the Delivered arrow, and an intermittent number in the left lower corner that I am assuming has to do with energy from the solar system, but over what timeframe?

I'm not sure exactly what this is telling me. An idiot's guide from someone in the know may be helpful to me and others installing solar.

Thanks for any replies.

Cheers.

If your smart meter says "delivered", you're receiving power from the grid (using grid power). If it says "received", you are sending excess power to the grid.

The 88888 display is a test so you know the LCD is working properly. Gas pumps do this too.

The kwh number is the amount delivered or received-- it also displays the voltage there so look at it carefully if you're curious about the kwh amounts.

/Mitch.