Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alt-248

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird. My PCs have given me the degree symbols reliably for alt-248 for over 15 years (it may be 20 years...). Maybe you're using a different device.

Gee, you learn something new every day. Alt-0176 works too.... If I just knew what all the other alt -xxx's were, I'd haveWindings at my fingertips... Wouldn't you know, Alt-1 is ☺, mr smiley! Or at least the Mr Smiley that got caught by the head shrinkers...

I must be showing my age. The only programming language I have even remotely mastered was 8086 assembly ;)

If you said 6502 or 6800 assembly, you'd get more age credit. :) I rather liked the 6800 instruction set, a beautiful beautiful processor. The 8086 instruction set was designed by some type of flailing monkey with 2 sticks of chalk in each of its hands in front of a divided-table chalkboard.

If you said 6502 or 6800 assembly, you'd get more age credit. :) I rather liked the 6800 instruction set, a beautiful beautiful processor. The 8086 instruction set was designed by some type of flailing monkey with 2 sticks of chalk in each of its hands in front of a divided-table chalkboard.

I couldn't agree more. I was rather jealous of the instruction set offered on 6809-based systems, but none of the actual hardware appealed to me all that much. 6502 was forgivable only because it was constrained to be cost effective. 8086 was an abomination that I avoided so long as I could comfortably inhabit the 680x0 world.

... but for some of us our native language is Objective-C. Option-0 it is!

"Back in the day" I was writing Z80 assembly for TRS-80, and 6502 assembly for CBM PET & VIC...

8086=Original PC.
80286...80386...80486... Then Pentium vs Sparc... The old CISC vs RISC days.

Where's stevezzz when I need him? We were 2/3 of a 3-person team tasked with porting an entire operating system to the Motorola 6800 in ... wait for it ... one week. (We actually took two.) The schedule was along the lines of "at 3:15, Steve will finish x. Bonnie will finish y at 4pm." I still have a copy of that. Slept in the office, felt guilty when the three of us snuck out to see a movie one night, I was locked in the women's room at about 2am when the lock fixture failed, and and and.

Ahh the memories when I hear '6800'.